Strange sound from back motors
1572 15 2015-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sebastianreal
lvl.1

Ecuador

[size=14.6666669845581px]Hi, after i did firmware update (is not related) i just did a quick overall check of my I1 and i notice both of my back motors did a strange sound when i turn them and sometimes they get stuck.
[size=14.6666669845581px]

[size=14.6666669845581px]Did someone else had this?
[size=14.6666669845581px]What you may recommend to do? some kind of maintenance or just replace them?

[size=14.6666669845581px]

2015-5-6
Use props
jon
lvl.3

Canada

I replaced the bearings in mine, as they were shot.

You don't want it falling from the sky!!
2015-5-6
Use props
sebastianreal
lvl.1

Ecuador

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-5-7 02:31

is it easy?

i will search for some howto video on youtube, if you have some can you link it please
2015-5-6
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-5-7 02:31

Where do you obtain these bearings and what do they look like...As his sounds like they have
completely carked it!
2015-5-6
Use props
sebastianreal
lvl.1

Ecuador

i just arm motors (without propelers) and acelerate just a little (maybe 10%) and turn them off, and now, it doesnt sounds anymore
2015-5-6
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

I see you have asked the same question on two different forums. Both times the advice was not to fly unless you want to crash.

Replace the offending bearings or motors (depending what the problem is).
But you will probably go and find a third forum now......
2015-5-6
Use props
jon
lvl.3

Canada

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-5-7 02:40
Where do you obtain these bearings and what do they look like...As his sounds like they have
compl ...

I got mine in the UK from here:
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop ... +/product_info.html

Fiddly to change, but quite doable.

I started a thread on it a few weeks back, but it appears to have been deleted.
They are 6852Z sealed ball races, of 5mm x 11mm x 5mm.  2 per motor.
Motors that actually fit the Inspire seem to be unobtainable atm (as apposed to the E800 motors listed as fitting the Inspire1, that do't actually have the mounting lugs), though I have a set on order, god knows when they'll arrive, so for me, changing the bearings was a no-brainer.

Jon

2015-5-6
Use props
sebastianreal
lvl.1

Ecuador

yes, i didnt knew its forbiden to ask same thing in different forums about same thing (in this case, inspire1)
i usually get faster replys here, but im looking for everyone's experience, and not everyone are signed and participating on both forums

more than an obvius advise, im asking how to fix it, if i can do someting or just replace it, im not asking if i should flight in this way or not

anyway im not forcing you to read/reply my questions, you are free to just pass my threads while youre replys arent helpful

have a nice day
2015-5-6
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-5-7 02:58

Well done jon I would never have thought they would use those type of bearing Hmmm.
Cheers for that.
2015-5-6
Use props
sebastianreal
lvl.1

Ecuador

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-5-7 02:58
http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop ... +/product_info.html

helpful as hell

thanks a lot!
2015-5-6
Use props
jon
lvl.3

Canada

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-5-7 03:04
Well done jon I would never have thought they would use those type of bearing Hmmm.
Cheers for tha ...

The rear port motor had a bit of play in it from day one, you could hold the propeller tips and rock it and hear it click, and detect slight play. I kept an eye on it, and decided it was getting worse, and found then, that if I spun the prop, that motor sounded different  to the others (slight grumble).
Really didn't fancy watching it spiral out of the sky, so pulled it apart to identify the bearings.  Common metric size, with metal grease seals (deep groove ball races)

Pulling the old ones out, and pressing new ones in required a bit of tool making (bits of tube, M5 bolt, washers & nut etc).
You need to select the right diameter bit of tube, to extract the race without putting any pressure on the motor windings. (tube needs to exhert pressure on the land just outside bearing carrier, but motor windings are only a mm or 2 farther out. I used a bit of thin walled brass tube, cut to about 10mm long, which was a bit of RC boat exhaust tube that had an ID of 12mm, od of 13mm).

Outer drum has spindle attached, through two bearings with tiny washer & circlip fitted.

Undo 4 mounting screws (alen key) and tilt motor on it's wires to gain access to underside / circlip.

Pulling drum/spindle out requires far mor effort than expected due to incredibly strong permanent magnets, was amased as it felt like I'd left something still attaching it, but it was just magnetism.

I will be changing the other same handed motor bearings, as they have very slight play, so I will take some pics when I do it.

Once the drum was removed, I was able to lay the motor back against its mount and put a small screwdriver through the top bearing at an angle, and up against the bottom bearing and give it a light tap (evenly, one side, then the other), lower bearing fell out pretty easily.  Then, with the newly gained access to the underside of the top bearing, put an M5 screw up through it, through the bit of tube, a penny washer, and nut, and just wind it out by turning the nut with a screwdriver holding the screw head from turning.
pulled both new bearings in together, with long M5 screw, washers & nut.
2015-5-6
Use props
jon
lvl.3

Canada

sebastianreal Posted at 2015-5-7 02:43
i just arm motors (without propelers) and acelerate just a little (maybe 10%) and turn them off, and ...

Maybe there was / is some metalic fragments that have gotten stuck to the permanent magnets and are fouling the close tolerances tween the rotor drum magnets and the winding posts of the stator?
Spinning them up may have cleared the fragments?
2015-5-6
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thanks for that jon and the links +1. It would be brilliant if you could take some pictures or some video of the next time you replace a bearing.  
2015-5-6
Use props
sebastianreal
lvl.1

Ecuador

jon@thefullers. Posted at 2015-5-7 05:32
Maybe there was / is some metalic fragments that have gotten stuck to the permanent magnets and are ...

lol, that was like mandarin to me

now i spin the motors and hardly hear something, isnt like there is no more noise anytime but clearly isnt what it was before, im trying to get those bearings in my country to make the fix anyway
2015-5-6
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

sebastianreal Posted at 2015-5-7 06:44
lol, that was like mandarin to me

now i spin the motors and hardly hear something, isnt like ther ...

maybe the bearings are fine it is the ferrous debris from landing on ground that stuck to the permanent magnets that cause these noises as suggested
2015-5-7
Use props
sebastianreal
lvl.1

Ecuador

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-7 17:56
maybe the bearings are fine it is the ferrous debris from landing on ground that stuck to the perm ...

and that would be dangerous or normal?

couse if i have to change motors every 60-70 flights it will cost a fortune + the actual cost of I1
2015-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules