Dam spell checker. I meant sound
2018-3-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can put it on in post, other than that you can enable sound in your app but it will only recorded from your phone, there is no recording on your drone.
2018-3-23
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Yup, and even if they did have sound recording onboard pretty sure all you would hear is the sound of the motors & props pushing air.
2018-3-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

CarloUK Posted at 2018-3-23 16:31
Dam spell checker. I meant sound

The audio is stored as an audio track in the downlinked video, written to your device's video cache. It's easy to extract the audio and add it to your high-res versions using something like QuickTime Player.

On the Mac it's super easy:

1. Open the low-res mp4 containing audio in QuickTime Player
2. Under the File menu, choose Export and then Audio Only...
3. Name the audio file and save it somewhere handy
4. Open the high-res video
5. Drag the audio file you saved over the open high-res video window and release
6. Save.

You now have a copy of the high-res video with the audio captured by your phone.
2018-3-23
Use props
ChasesDronePics
lvl.4
Flight distance : 198990 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-3-23 16:48
The audio is stored as an audio track in the downlinked video, written to your device's video cache. It's easy to extract the audio and add it to your high-res versions using something like QuickTime Player.

Wow I didn't even know this! Thank you!
2018-3-23
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-3-23 16:48

If you are going to do this -- Make sure you have turned on the RECORD AUDIO option under Camera settings to have sound stored in the low-res files.   If it's off -- nada.
2018-3-23
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Ok lads I will try later. I have been dragging the video files off the memory card into Final Cut then Formatting it. Ill change my method to grab the audio too.  See how it goes later. Thanks
2018-3-24
Use props
CarloUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks for the pointers but I was still a little confused. However sorted now.

Basically my workflow is to take the memory card from the Mavic air and plug the card into my mac and drag the movie files off (no sound)
Then I plugged my iPhone into the mac and fired up iTunes.
Once you have your iPhone showing in iTunes go to "File Sharing"
Inside that select the DJIGo app and you will get all its files displaying on the right side.
You can drag and drop these files to your desktop.
the one you want is VideoCache
Once on your Mac open the folder up
Inside is all the movie files from your app.(mp4's)
Then as the man said open the relevant video using quicktime player (right mouse click on it/open with/quicktime)
Once open go to quicktime menu File/export as/Audio only)
Save this audio file and you can then use it in Final Cut to align with your video before starting edits.

Phew

2018-3-24
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

CarloUK Posted at 2018-3-24 11:37

Basically my workflow is to take the memory card from the Mavic air and plug the card into my mac and drag the movie files off (no sound)

What are you trying to achieve?
The process you are describing is giving you a sound track of start up and take off and what you are talking about while you are flying. Maybe there are creative ideas to have this as overlay with aerial footage.

I was playing with recording sound from the drone while airborne to use these sound tracks partially as overlay. I bought this 18g USB stick which is a sound recorder. Attached it to one leg of my phantom.
She obviously was working hard to compensate for the weight on one side. The sound files where unusable. Too loud ;-)
2018-3-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

That's the way to do it if you want some original sound on your footage as long as AC is still nearby you.
2018-3-24
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-23 16:42
Yup, and even if they did have sound recording onboard pretty sure all you would hear is the sound of the motors & props pushing air.

But the audio captured during crashes would certainly be entertaining.

Far off in distance you here loud scream of - Oh _____!

Then comes sounds of whacking props, snapping arms, and crunching of plastic housing.
Faintly in background you hear a grown man sobbing like a four-year old who dropped his ice cream cone.
2018-3-24
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

The editing practice you are describing is called "Soundscaping" You can d/load many different background soundscapes, here is just one example.
Free Sound Scape Audio & Free Sound Effects
2018-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules