frame stutter
1231 14 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jellyjon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77028 ft
United Kingdom

hi guys i have looked at quite a few threads about camera settings  but not found anything conclusive that would explain the frame stutter i keep getting from time to time when recording film footage on my mavic pro. any help would be gratefully received.

2018-3-24
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

It might help for the group to give feedback if you have some example footage.  Are you generally only seeing this on very bright days where your shutter speed would be up very high to get your exposure correct?  If so, then you may need an ND filter to bring your shutter speed down and keep your exposure good.  
2018-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Indeed, if you can, share some examples via youtube or something.
If you remember, also tell what settings you used.
2018-3-24
Use props
Jellyjon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

KlooGee Posted at 2018-3-24 13:53
It might help for the group to give feedback if you have some example footage.  Are you generally only seeing this on very bright days where your shutter speed would be up very high to get your exposure correct?  If so, then you may need an ND filter to bring your shutter speed down and keep your exposure good.

think i will go with some nd filters to start. the frame stutter is occasssional more visible during playback on my laptop. drone photography is kind of a new thing to me. only purchased my mavic pro last week so still getting used to the way it works. fantastic peice of kit  i must say
2018-3-24
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jellyjon Posted at 2018-3-24 14:05
think i will go with some nd filters to start. the frame stutter is occasssional more visible during playback on my laptop. drone photography is kind of a new thing to me. only purchased my mavic pro last week so still getting used to the way it works. fantastic peice of kit  i must say

If your vids are 4K and you have an old computer, maybe it's just your computer having problems playing them back and there is nothing wrong with the videos themselves.  If you want more feedback before you spend more money on the ND filters, maybe try uploading an example o YouTube or some other file/video sharing site and others can check it out and see if they see the same problems you are having.
2018-3-24
Use props
Jellyjon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hi guys this link should hopefully take you to the video i posted on youtube
watched it through on my mobile and it seemed ok, may just be the settings on my laptop. all video and camera settings at default.
thanks for all the help so far
2018-3-24
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, the captured video looks as one would expect. Personally I'd tweak the gimbal settings so that they are not so twitchy. Practice makes perfect. Also advisable to make sure you have collision avoidance settings switched on, as you are flying quite low.... tress and lampposts ... also dog walkers(!) .... you should never fly closer than 50 metres at all times (check out the CAA drone code - http://dronesafe.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Dronecode.pdf ).
2018-3-24
Use props
Wellsi
First Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Jellyjon Posted at 2018-3-24 15:31
hi guys this link should hopefully take you to the video i posted on youtube https://youtu.be/vzT3iPADNUI
watched it through on my mobile and it seemed ok, may just be the settings on my laptop. all video and camera settings at default.

Unless you have a Mac Book Pro or a Gaming Laptop, you'll struggle to view a 4K or even a 1080p video file without stutter.  You usually need a dedicated graphics card.

Put a 20 second clip onto a fast USB flash drive and head down to your local laptop store and try and watch it on a high end laptop.  That's what I did to help me choose my new laptop....
Cheers
Ian
2018-3-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jellyjon Posted at 2018-3-24 15:31
hi guys this link should hopefully take you to the video i posted on youtube https://youtu.be/vzT3iPADNUI
watched it through on my mobile and it seemed ok, may just be the settings on my laptop. all video and camera settings at default.

This is a cached version of your video taken from your mobile right?
Or did you take it from the SD card?
2018-3-25
Use props
Jellyjon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

cached version from my mobile. strange as it may sound i had to move the video file from the dji folder to another before it was recognised on my laptop. only about 3 years old and running windows 10
2018-3-25
Use props
Jellyjon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

@ lamplighter55 the area i was flying in is the largest area i can use without driving and is close to home only a few mins walk. for the moment i allways have collision avoidance on  and i think i was at about 60 meters altitude. yes i have read the drone code and will apply this as best i can. the dog walkers appear as if by majic, i also fly large power kites with a land board on this area so i am very aware of them. sometimes the dogs get a really good work out.
will try the 20 second clip 0n usb stick and see what the difference is, having wathed it on you tube i do think it was my laptop, maybe something running in background that was using memory cache.
many thanks for all the good advice
2018-3-25
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Jellyjon Posted at 2018-3-25 02:36
@ lamplighter55 the area i was flying in is the largest area i can use without driving and is close to home only a few mins walk. for the moment i allways have collision avoidance on  and i think i was at about 60 meters altitude. yes i have read the drone code and will apply this as best i can. the dog walkers appear as if by majic, i also fly large power kites with a land board on this area so i am very aware of them. sometimes the dogs get a really good work out.
will try the 20 second clip 0n usb stick and see what the difference is, having wathed it on you tube i do think it was my laptop, maybe something running in background that was using memory cache.

I agree with the laptop upgrade, I had the same problem with my old Windows 7 desktop, just couldn't handle the processing needed for 4K to flow smoothly. Ended up getting a 4K Gaming desk top with a 4K monitor to realize the true beauty of UHD videos. USB Stick is a great idea to determine what system will best handle the 4K/

I still experience some stutter in 4K video shot at 30 FPS (especially flying sideways) , have helped eliminate it by rendering/exporting the edited footage at 60 FPS
2018-3-25
Use props
Jellyjon
lvl.1
United Kingdom

may be time for a pc upgrade, her indorors is not gonna be happy. lol first you buy a drone now you want a ne pc. ha ha ha
i will have to have a play with software what editing pakage do you use btw
2018-3-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jellyjon Posted at 2018-3-25 02:29
cached version from my mobile. strange as it may sound i had to move the video file from the dji folder to another before it was recognised on my laptop. only about 3 years old and running windows 10

The cached version is hard to judge.
You can just move the file to your PC and upload it to youtube without editing.
2018-3-25
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Jellyjon Posted at 2018-3-25 02:36
@ lamplighter55 the area i was flying in is the largest area i can use without driving and is close to home only a few mins walk. for the moment i allways have collision avoidance on  and i think i was at about 60 meters altitude. yes i have read the drone code and will apply this as best i can. the dog walkers appear as if by majic, i also fly large power kites with a land board on this area so i am very aware of them. sometimes the dogs get a really good work out.
will try the 20 second clip 0n usb stick and see what the difference is, having wathed it on you tube i do think it was my laptop, maybe something running in background that was using memory cache.

That's great! I didn't mean to seem judgmental its just 'newer' flyers on here sometimes are not 'up to speed' on the common sense part of our fun pass-time! It does sound like a performance issue with your playback/editing platform hopefully you can make some tweaks to get a better playback - without having to process your 4k down to HD. One thing that may help is to only record the flight in sections, rather than a continuous stream - that way each file will only be a couple of hundred megs rather than the full 4gigs(?) - as I'm not sure how Windows buffers large video files - but a smaller data footprint per file may help.
2018-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules