Thrust issues & positive feedback loop with DJI N3
951 5 2018-3-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MTUDrone
lvl.1

United States

Hi all,

I've been building a quadcopter as part of a senior design program I'm a part of to lift some objects.  Today we completed our first test, and ran into an issue which seemed to be because of a positive feedback loop which resulted in a crash.  We have completed multiple tie-down tests without any positive feedback issues (as the thrust wasn't able to affect the quadcopter's position).  The issue occured immediately after the quadcopter left the ground, as it became to swing in circles which became more violent resulting in the crash.  We have looked at all the parameters in the DJI Assistant 2 program however can't find any reason that we believe could cause the crash.  We're currently in the process of fixing up the copter for its next test, but first we have to solve this issue.  I wanted to reach out to you guys on this forum to see if you guys have any pointers as to where we could look to solve this issue?  I have attached a video of the crash below for your analysis.

Additionally, we appear to be having an issue when throttling the thrust on the copter.  Our remote control (RadioLink AT9S) has a throttle channel that ranges from -100 < x < +100.  Our quadcopter will not throttle up between an input of -100 and +17, and the thrust remains constant in this range (at idle speed), however once the throttle input from our controller goes from +17 to +18 (or anything above), the copter appears to go from idle thrust to nearly max thrust.  I'm not sure if this issue is related to the above crash, but we would also appreciate some pointers as to how to solve this of anyone has any!

Thanks,

Cooper

2018-3-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Cooper, sorry to read on your post, please double check if you mounted the flight controller in the wrong direction, furthermore, please check the direction selection in DJI Assistant 2.
2018-3-27
Use props
MTUDrone
lvl.1

United States

Hi Mindy, thank you very much for the response.  I had previously gone into DJI Assistant 2 when formatting the quadcopter and indicated a "right" install direction as that is the direction my flight controller is facing.  However, today I checked again with your advice and my direction and it was incorrectly input as "forward".  I have changed my install direction back to "right" to correctly match the flight controller direction, and will test again tomorrow to see if this solves the control issue.  Thank you very much for your help and let me know if you have any other comments!

Cooper
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

MTUDrone Posted at 2018-3-27 10:57
Hi Mindy, thank you very much for the response.  I had previously gone into DJI Assistant 2 when formatting the quadcopter and indicated a "right" install direction as that is the direction my flight controller is facing.  However, today I checked again with your advice and my direction and it was incorrectly input as "forward".  I have changed my install direction back to "right" to correctly match the flight controller direction, and will test again tomorrow to see if this solves the control issue.  Thank you very much for your help and let me know if you have any other comments!

Cooper

Please test the aircraft when you are available and let us know if it helps, thank you.
2018-3-29
Use props
dynamo_au
lvl.1
Australia

i have the same problem with a s800 with n3  i tripple checked all settings before 1st test and the same result as in video 15" carbon props are not cheap  does anyone have any ideas ????
2018-7-13
Use props
MTUDrone
lvl.1

dynamo_au Posted at 2018-7-13 18:55
i have the same problem with a s800 with n3  i tripple checked all settings before 1st test and the same result as in video 15" carbon props are not cheap  does anyone have any ideas ????

Check the direction of your flight controller.  Mine was incorrectly oriented which caused this loss of control.  Mine had reset to default for some reason, worth double checking!
2018-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules