I WANT TO HEAR YOUR POSITIVE OUTCOME AFTER LOOSING YOUR DRONE
2226 35 2018-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crafchyk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 272195 ft
United States

So I've been reading treads on missing drones for some time now.  I have not heard a story yet where DJI has actually given anyone a full refund on missing aircraft.
They seem to never find anything wrong with the drone/software/flight record after the aircraft goes MIA. In my case, my aircraft disconected about 150' away from me (RTH was set in the app and initiated @ take off) but never returned home.  At first I thought it was an isolated case, just my luck but now I see there are hundred cases like mine and DJI doesn't find anything abnormal in aircraft just flying away.
I want to know your thoughts on this and hear the positive outcomes if they exist.  

2018-3-27
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

I think the parameters are many for "flying away". it's hard to know what's happened. one important detail that you didn't notice, maybe is the reason to lose your aircraft
2018-3-27
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

integer Posted at 2018-3-27 05:30
I think the parameters are many for "flying away". it's hard to know what's happened. one important detail that you didn't notice, maybe is the reason to lose your aircraft

I do agree with your statement that there are many different reasons and each case is different.  With so many different cases, don't you think there is got to be at least one where the drone actually failed and DJI admitted to it and owner got fully reimbursed?   

Don't get me wrong, i still think that DJI is great company and they make awesome equipment. I just feel like I was robbed of few hundred dollars, that's all.
2018-3-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I have read quite a number of reports were a full replacement was granted. It's standard procedure when a valid warranty case is established after analysis of the available data.
2018-3-27
Use props
integer
First Officer
Flight distance : 113355784 ft
Greece

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-27 05:59
I do agree with your statement that there are many different reasons and each case is different.  With so many different cases, don't you think there is got to be at least one where the drone actually failed and DJI admitted to it and owner got fully reimbursed?   

Don't get me wrong, i still think that DJI is great company and they make awesome equipment. I just feel like I was robbed of few hundred dollars, that's all.

there are more than one cases where the dji admitted that the aircraft had an error  
2018-3-27
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-27 05:59
I do agree with your statement that there are many different reasons and each case is different.  With so many different cases, don't you think there is got to be at least one where the drone actually failed and DJI admitted to it and owner got fully reimbursed?   

Why don't you post your flight record? Maybe we can help figure out what went wrong.
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Officially the drone needs to be returned to DJI for a full diagnostic evaluation to be carried out and if the crash was deemed to be caused by a defect in the drone then DJI will either replace it with either a new or refurb model or repair the damage if relatively minor and purchased less than a year before the crash. I too have seen cases where they have still upheld that in the event of lost drones and at least offered a 50% discount on more subjective claims and full FOC replacements on clearly defective units - despite not legally having to do so.
2018-3-27
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

ghostrdr Posted at 2018-3-27 08:28
Why don't you post your flight record? Maybe we can help figure out what went wrong.

I have,  here is the link if you wanna look at my thread.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... p;page=1#pid1271957

2018-3-27
Use props
ghostrdr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-27 09:05
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=134592&page=1#pid1271957

I read your post and I must say that it is a strange case. With no stick inputs you would expect the drone to hover until the RTH timeout caused the drone to return home unless something catastrophic occurred. As a matter of curiousity, what device were you running DJI GO on?
2018-3-27
Use props
Grant_Vorster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394514 ft
South Africa

Ive had my drone replaced by DJI after it flew away. Great service.
Drone was delivered to South Africa from China within 5 working days
Thumbs up Dji
2018-3-27
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

Grant_Vorster Posted at 2018-3-27 10:36
Ive had my drone replaced by DJI after it flew away. Great service.
Drone was delivered to South Africa from China within 5 working days
Thumbs up Dji

Did you loose connection on yours?
2018-3-27
Use props
Grant_Vorster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 394514 ft
South Africa

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-27 11:23
Did you loose connection on yours?

Yip. Magnetic interference and then it took off never to be seen again.
Only had it 6 days.  New one flying strong. No issues
2018-3-27
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

Grant_Vorster Posted at 2018-3-27 11:25
Yip. Magnetic interference and then it took off never to be seen again.
Only had it 6 days.  New one flying strong. No issues

Same thing has happen to me. Everything was in green, 16 satellites, RTH active one minute later and 150' away the screen says connection lost and the drone was gone.  DJI told me they did not find anything abnormal and offered me 30% discount for new aircraft.  I mean how is this not abnormal? Just makes me mad!
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-27 11:31
Same thing has happen to me. Everything was in green, 16 satellites, RTH active one minute later and 150' away the screen says connection lost and the drone was gone.  DJI told me they did not find anything abnormal and offered me 30% discount for new aircraft.  I mean how is this not abnormal? Just makes me mad!

Hi, sorry for your lost. Just checked in your case, the data analysis shows that the aircraft worked in GPS mode, and responded to the pilot's command well. At flight time 01'08'', H=35.3 m, D=45.9 m. The app was disconnected with drone at that time. According to the inconclusive conclusion, we provide you 30% discounts. Thanks for your support.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-27 09:05
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=134592&page=1#pid1271957

I can't see the flight log anymore.
Looks like they changed the site?
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Just read through the entire post and it really sucks for you.
Since you did not recover the drone, you are having a hard time to prove what went wrong.
As the flight log don't tell the whole story in your case (nothing seems to go wrong), you can't provide evidence other than your own story.

Now I assume you are telling the truth, but DJI will have to rely on some recorded event before they can do a refund.
Otherwise pilots that are less honest and have their drone flying into something because not paying attention will also get a refund if they say they cannot recover the drone.

Not sure where you bought it, but some resellers have a good warranty policy.
And other than that, I think the best option is to plan another search party with some friends and hope you will find it again.
2018-3-28
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 02:00
Just read through the entire post and it really sucks for you.
Since you did not recover the drone, you are having a hard time to prove what went wrong.
As the flight log don't tell the whole story in your case (nothing seems to go wrong), you can't provide evidence other than your own story.

I guess you are right, I don't have much to go on and to prove from since I didn't recover the aircraft. But what got me mad the most is DJI saying they don't see anything wrong with the drone disconnecting mid-flight and not returning back home.  ...And I purchased the drone directly from DJI.  
Thanks for your input.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-28 03:23
I guess you are right, I don't have much to go on and to prove from since I didn't recover the aircraft. But what got me mad the most is DJI saying they don't see anything wrong with the drone disconnecting mid-flight and not returning back home.  ...And I purchased the drone directly from DJI.  
Thanks for your input.

I understand the frustration totally.

But that is the truth. Your flight log does not show a fly away or other errors.
So for all they can see, their product functioned normally.
And you can't provide evidence either without the drone.
Other than telling what happened.

Maybe, the drone will tell differently, since it would probably record a little more data (assumption, since you don't know) so if you can, I would try and do that with some more eyes.
Now you are a bit to far from where I live, but maybe some forum members do live more close by and are willing to participate.

You can also give another go with one of the admins (private message would be preferred, to avoid others jumping into the discussion) to ask for advice how to deal with this.
Maybe they have another idea.

2018-3-28
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 03:36
I understand the frustration totally.

But that is the truth. Your flight log does not show a fly away or other errors.

To be honest, I gave up and lost the hope.  I've been to the location multiple times. Possibly someone else might of found it by now.  I wouldn't buy a new aircraft,  but what am I going to do with all the left over equipment? Most likely its not going to be compatible with Mavic pro 2.  So I have to request the 30% off coupon until end of this month and I have another moth to purchase new aircraft. ...and DIJ wins.
to use it.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-28 04:21
To be honest, I gave up and lost the hope.  I've been to the location multiple times. Possibly someone else might of found it by now.  I wouldn't buy a new aircraft,  but what am I going to do with all the left over equipment? Most likely its not going to be compatible with Mavic pro 2.  So I have to request the 30% off coupon until end of this month and I have another moth to purchase new aircraft. ...and DIJ wins.
[view_image] to use it.

Possible somebody found it indeed.
But you would think they would make some  notification right?
2018-3-28
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 04:31
Possible somebody found it indeed.
But you would think they would make some  notification right?

I'm hoping if someone did find it and they manage to power it up that the location in "FIND MY DRONE"
window will update. But I'm not sure if that's actually how this option works.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-28 04:33
I'm hoping if someone did find it and they manage to power it up that the location in "FIND MY DRONE"
window will update. But I'm not sure if that's actually how this option works.

It should update the location once powered on and connected to GPS.
That is at least how I understand it works.
But what I don't get is if the location it shows is different from where you lost it?
Or is it the same place?
2018-3-28
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 04:57
It should update the location once powered on and connected to GPS.
But what I don't get is if the location it shows is different from where you lost it?

The location where i lost it is accurate.  The green line you see is pointing to my location when I check for signal.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-28 05:55
The location where i lost it is accurate.  The green line you see is pointing to my location when I check for signal.

That is a bummer.
Probably the last time the drone was connected to GPS and able to store its location on the DJI server.

You already checked local police for lost and found right?
2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-3-28 04:57
It should update the location once powered on and connected to GPS.

Well, the drone needs a dataconnection some how to update its 'find me location'...

It needs to be used (flown) I guess and not just powered up, just to get it to show up in the app...
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-28 06:19
Well, the drone needs a dataconnection some how to update its 'find me location'...

It needs to be used (flown) I guess and not just powered up, just to get it to show up in the app...

I guess you are right.
Can't find anybody testing this, but it sounds like it records the last location when the drone was still connected to the app.
So it won't update just by starting up.
But then again, I have not tested this.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-28 05:55

PS, from what I read it is very very hard to spot the drone when it is up in a tree.
I was wrong about the find my drone updating the location when powered on. It needs connection to the DJI Go4 App for that.
(not tested, but read this thread)
https://forum.dji.com/thread-115451-1-1.html

2018-3-28
Use props
MWitarsa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2058179 ft
Brazil

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-28 06:19

Make sense. I was thinking: how does the drone send the information of its position?
It needs a dataconneciton.
2018-3-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MWitarsa Posted at 2018-3-28 06:39
Make sense. I was thinking: how does the drone send the information of its position?
It needs a dataconneciton.

It makes sense indeed.
2018-3-28
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I wonder if you even get an update if someone connects the drone to their own DJI Account via the APP?

Sorry for being so pessimistic...
2018-3-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-3-28 07:24
I wonder if you even get an update if someone connects the drone to their own DJI Account via the APP?

Sorry for being so pessimistic...

That does not work. I sold my first spark to a friend and when we fly together(although it still shows on my app previous flights) does not update on my app.
2018-3-28
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

This is kind of a tangent, but did you contact your homeowners insurance agent about the loss? Losing the drone in the water or having an experience like yours was my biggest concern before buying one.  I don't believe DJI Care Refresh is the optimal solution because it always requires recovery of the drone. In situations like yours it means you are not only out the cost of the drone, but an additional $100 to add insult to injury. I discussed the issue with my agent before the purchase and found that it would be covered under personal property (up to $1,500). This holds true without recovering the drone and irrespective of me being at fault for the loss.
2018-3-28
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

Silvex Posted at 2018-3-28 12:05
This is kind of a tangent, but did you contact your homeowners insurance agent about the loss? Losing the drone in the water or having an experience like yours was my biggest concern before buying one.  I don't believe DJI Care Refresh is the optimal solution because it always requires recovery of the drone. In situations like yours it means you are not only out the cost of the drone, but an additional $100 to add insult to injury. I discussed the issue with my agent before the purchase and found that it would be covered under personal property (up to $1,500). This holds true without recovering the drone and irrespective of me being at fault for the loss.

Did not know this was an option until it was too late.  Not sure if my insurance (farmers) will cover it but will definitely give them a call before making a new purchase.  But I don't think I would want this with my car and home insurance under one account.  Wouldn't having the drone on separate account be batter?
I'm thinking about your insurance cost going up if they have to pay you.
2018-3-28
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

I WANT TO HEAR YOUR POSITIVE OUTCOME AFTER LOOSING YOUR DRONE.  Well, maybe after loosing a drone one might come to the realization droning is not for them
2018-3-28
Use props
crafchyk
lvl.2
United States

Acenspades Posted at 2018-3-28 12:40
I WANT TO HEAR YOUR POSITIVE OUTCOME AFTER LOOSING YOUR DRONE.  Well, maybe after loosing a drone one might come to the realization droning is not for them

I see you are one of the people who gives up on things in life easily.  Did you ever crash a bike, car, on a skate board ........and gave up?  Or maybe got dumped by a girl and decided girls were not your thing?
....see my point?     ....not the best point of view you have there my friend.
2018-3-28
Use props
Silvex
lvl.3

United States

crafchyk Posted at 2018-3-28 12:15
Did not know this was an option until it was too late.  Not sure if my insurance (farmers) will cover it but will definitely give them a call before making a new purchase.  But I don't think I would want this with my car and home insurance under one account.  Wouldn't having the drone on separate account be batter?
I'm thinking about your insurance cost going up if they have to pay you.

I have Farmers too. What I found out is that the drone would be covered under my existing policy like a camera or a laptop or any other personal property. I didn't have to do anything or pay anything extra.
2018-3-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules