Quieter Wings for the Mavic Air
7403 25 2018-3-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansd5617e38
lvl.1
United States

Are these ever going to exist? These things HUM!
2018-3-27
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are you referring to propellers?
2018-3-27
Use props
fansd5617e38
lvl.1
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2018-3-27 12:48
Are you referring to propellers?

Yes exactly
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I never quite understood why DJI use similar FOC ESC's in the Mavic Air as they do with the Mavic Pro Platinum but use the same style props as the Spark to make the drone just as loud. I'm sure winglet props will be introduced soon enough if the design of the drone can accommodate them.
2018-3-27
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

A CW Posted at 2018-3-27 13:25
I never quite understood why DJI use similar FOC ESC's in the Mavic Air as they do with the Mavic Pro Platinum but use the same style props as the Spark to make the drone just as loud. I'm sure winglet props will be introduced soon enough if the design of the drone can accommodate them.

Hi, thank you for your suggestion, I will forward this proposal to our engineers. Hope it will be improved in the future soon if possible. Thanks!
2018-3-27
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Are the sparks props any quieter than the Mavic air props?
2018-3-27
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-3-27 18:36
Are the sparks props any quieter than the Mavic air props?

No. They're louder
2018-3-27
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-3-27 13:25

The design is already there and we all know how quiet the Platinum is, they're probably saving it for the Platinum version of the Air in 12 months time...LOLLLL
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-3-27 17:14
Hi, thank you for your suggestion, I will forward this proposal to our engineers. Hope it will be improved in the future soon if possible. Thanks!

That would be great
2018-3-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-27 19:31
The design is already there and we all know how quiet the Platinum is, they're probably saving it for the Platinum version of the Air in 12 months time...LOLLLL

Having a quiet drone has become as important to me as the image quality and is one of the reasons the Mavic Air has been a deal breaker for me. If they can make it quieter then I may just be interested in buying one.
2018-3-27
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks                     
2018-3-28
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

yes quieter props will be good because mavic air is loud.
2018-3-28
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It must be my age then, but at 300+ feet  my air goes into stealth mode, that sucker hides on me, one minute he's there waving next hes giving it   I don't find it excessively loud at all.

That having been said, he is louder than the pro and more so if you put the low noise props on that sucker the pro goes into ninja mode.  So I can see the advantages of low noise props being available for the air, great for filming golfers and such like.
2018-3-28
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft
Netherlands

I bought 3rd party ones out of Amazon. They feel thinner to touch other than that they look the same. I have not tried them after reading other posts about  3rd party ones coming off in flight. So I will keep them only for an emergency.
2018-3-28
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-3-27 22:58
Having a quiet drone has become as important to me as the image quality and is one of the reasons the Mavic Air has been a deal breaker for me. If they can make it quieter then I may just be interested in buying one.

The Air is noisier than the Platinum, but like all the other differences between the two, that difference is insignificant. In my personal experience the range is the Air's Archille's Heel. I'm happy to trade 1db noisier for every 100m gain in range!
2018-3-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-28 12:17
The Air is noisier than the Platinum, but like all the other differences between the two, that difference is insignificant. In my personal experience the range is the Air's Archille's Heel. I'm happy to trade 1db noisier for every 100m gain in range!

As I said, it's one of the reasons - WiFi in place of OcuSync is the main reason but noise from the motors is why I am selling my P4P and always use my MPP now.
2018-3-28
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

A CW Posted at 2018-3-28 12:21
As I said, it's one of the reasons - WiFi in place of OcuSync is the main reason but noise from the motors is why I am selling my P4P and always use my MPP now.

The Air is nowhere as noisy as a Phantom, but the range is really inconsistent. I need to be careful with my vocabulary when commentting on the Air's range now, otherwise some Air fanboy will chime in and say 'Something wrong with you or something wrong with your setup...'
2018-3-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-28 12:27
The Air is nowhere as noisy as a Phantom, but the range is really inconsistent. I need to be careful with my vocabulary when commentting on the Air's range now, otherwise some Air fanboy will chime in and say 'Something wrong with you or something wrong with your setup...'

You own the drone mate and are fully entitled to express your experiences with the product you bought and have flown - it's clear as day that you are not a newbie.

If it's not working for you as you hoped then it's your entitlement to say so - I love the Mavic Pro but had 2 DOA's last November before getting the Platinum and never held back on expressing my feelings on here at the time.
2018-3-28
Use props
fansd5617e38
lvl.1
United States

Noise is a massive factor for me as I need to fly stealthy. I hope they come out with something soon.
2018-3-28
Use props
fansd5617e38
lvl.1
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-28 12:31
You own the drone mate and are fully entitled to express your experiences with the product you bought and have flown - it's clear as day that you are not a newbie.

If it's not working for you as you hoped then it's your entitlement to say so - I love the Mavic Pro but had 2 DOA's last November before getting the Platinum and never held back on expressing my feelings on here at the time.

Just got off the phone with their philippines call center. Woof. No plan for quieter blades.
2018-3-28
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

since they are probably not going to exist i would like to recomened an alternate approach. Find someone with a phantom and go fly with them for a few batteries. You will come away amazed at how quiet your drone is.

2018-3-28
Use props
OldFaflyers
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26555 ft
Australia

One can tell a MA is over head even it is 100 above you..its loud. I fly racing quad with 3 bladed props..only half the decibel.
2018-3-30
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

Simple.
The Mavic Air is built for compactness so has tiny propellers and they have to spin nearly twice as fast, (6000RPM for the Pro, 11000RPM for the Mavic Air), at 11000RPM there is not much you can do to quieten a prop of any kind, Winglet blade tips like the Stealth props wont help.
The Quiet Props on the Platty Pro not only have drag-reducing tips but are significantly larger than the stock Pro ones so they generate more lift.
The Mavic Air is always going to be a noisy beast.

2018-3-30
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

Monkey007 Posted at 2018-3-28 12:27
The Air is nowhere as noisy as a Phantom, but the range is really inconsistent. I need to be careful with my vocabulary when commentting on the Air's range now, otherwise some Air fanboy will chime in and say 'Something wrong with you or something wrong with your setup...'

Nope.
I'm one of those who'd agree with you. Air's range is very inconsistent.  And for that reason i'm going to sell and get the MPP.
2018-3-30
Use props
fans915fd7a9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6790833 ft
  • >>>

The air needs quiet props. People have been asking for months. I am going to sell my air because it is too loud to fly and causes too much disturbance.
2018-10-14
Use props
rms59
lvl.1

United States

Newbie here... But wouldn't selling the Air and buying another DJI product just support sales?
2018-11-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules