My Inspire crashed after disconnecting from RC with Latest FW 1.2.1.03
3286 39 2015-5-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

OMG! My inspire is in alots of picies right now.

Honestly i tought it will never happen to me.

I just took my first flight with the latest 1.2.1.03 FW.
I did everything by the book includong calibrate IMU and Compass, full battery's, wait for a good GPS sat count.

Two minuts in flight i have got No signal and the thing want directly to a buliding 50M from me!

It was at 150M hight, hit the bulding, and luckly no one was injurde when it fall to the ground due to a net that was above the side walk!

I tried to get as much pieces as possible but still missing to mottors the stack somewhre unreachable at the bluiding.

Battery broke totaly, the rear side is crashed. Motor arms crashed and the camera mount broken!

I just had a very good flight with it yesterday and everthing was perfect. I dont know what happen that disconnect the remote from it. he was not far from me at all.

I hope that DJI will be helpful and replace it.
2015-5-7
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Oh shit!! Nobody here wants the bad news of a severe loss! I'm sorry for your pain and hope something can be done for you. Really.
2015-5-7
Use props
jlivingston6
lvl.3
Flight distance : 82556 ft
United States

I know that really bad feeling in the bottom of your stomach. I wish you the best and hope DJI helps you out. Hang in there.
2015-5-7
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Crap, I thought they had fixed this!
2015-5-7
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

lethbrp Posted at 2015-5-7 22:48
Crap, I thought they had fixed this!

That's what it says, however its amazing to think we wasn't given notification there maybe a problem. We have enough problems with the brain washed public thinking we are all pervs or a menace to society. Faulty equipment isn't going to help us portray these aircraft in a different light.
2015-5-7
Use props
cziakas
lvl.3

United States

Do keep us up to date on your situation. I'm curious how support handles your drone. I would think they can look at the flight logs and determine the issue.  Are they easy to work with or is it a blame game?  
2015-5-7
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

If the Inspire lost the signal (I assume you mean the control signal and not the video signal) and you confirmed you were flying in GPS mode. Why did the AC not stop and hover on loss of signal and then initiate RTH a few seconds later?
Are you saying you lost rf link and it continued to fly?
2015-5-7
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

Thanks for the support  guys.

I will keep posting along the way.
2015-5-7
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-5-8 01:01
If the Inspire lost the signal (I assume you mean the control signal and not the video signal) and y ...

Hi
It lost both control and video at the same time without any warning. From full control with great and clean video feed to No Signal.

I guess it did try to come back to take off  point but crash Into the building.
2015-5-7
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

TheFlyGuy Posted at 2015-5-8 03:10
Hi
It lost both control and video at the same time without any warning. From full control with gre ...

I am glad that it at least tried to come home. I always make sure my return home altitude is higher than anything within a mile. This controller disconnect is a problem, but it is sure going to be easy to blame it on something other than what it is, when people are flying in a populated environment.
I hope all works out for you.
2015-5-7
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

sbarryjackson@s Posted at 2015-5-8 03:47
I am glad that it at least tried to come home. I always make sure my return home altitude is highe ...

Thanks! I hope to.

I did make sure to set it high enough to be able to come home safly but it didn't make it.
Maybe it's the latest iOS app bug that not record the Failsafe correctly to the drone or maybe it something else.
What's sure is if the RC wasn't suddenly disconnected it wouldn't happen.

This flight was as safe as it can and should be. Nothing special or extraordinary.
One second i was the happiest pilot flying this amazing drone and a second later I'm not a pilot anymore and can't do anything to save my 3k drone.

I don't know what Dji will learn from the Log file but I do hope that Dji will be the company they should be and take responsibility.
If i had even the littlest doubt that I could do something to prevent this before or during the flight I would take the full responsibility.
2015-5-7
Use props
Bill Davis
New

United States

Hi
It lost both control and video at the same time without any warning. From full control with gre ...

Do not look to DJI for support. I just got my Inspire and did everything I was taught in the manual and it crashed on the second flight. I called and got an RMA and sent it in and called once they got it and they told me it would be 5 to 6 weeks before they could even look at it. If you pay 3,00.00 for a Inspire you would think that DJI would give you some kind of customer support. 5 to 6 weeks is not good!
2015-5-7
Use props
cdon2
New

Canada

Bill Davis Posted at 2015-5-8 05:35
Do not look to DJI for support. I just got my Inspire and did everything I was taught in the manua ...

When mine started drifting, probably due to lost GPS signal, and crashed into a tree, fracturing the left boom forward area, I called and emailed wanting an estimate. Just wanted a ballpark figure. No such luck. They said they would have to look at it first. With no estimate there was no way I would send anything to anywhere when i described the break in detail.
So I got some carbon fibre and resin and fixed it myself. They would have replaced the boom and the motor mounts, anything that was glued to the boom, it is one piece from nose to tail. They would have known how much that costs. So any warranty is dead because I fixed it.
2015-5-7
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

I also had a mechanical failure causing my inspire to lose power and crash shortly after I received it (still was in second firmware version).
I feel your pain, but unfortunately the path ahead of you to get it fixed will test your nerves!  The people I dealt with on the phone (after 5 hours on hold) were very nice, but there is a lack of structure and assets in place by DJI to repair and return damaged crafts in a acceptable time frame.  5-8 weeks from the time they get it to repair and ship  from what I have heard and experienced.  Hopefully they can go through the flight logs and determine it was a defect and no-charge you for repairs.
2015-5-7
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

Thanks a lot guys for the information.
It is very helpful to lern from your experience.
I'm so sorry to hear about all your accidents. It's so sad.

let's hope for the best..
2015-5-7
Use props
Bill Davis
New

United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-5-8 06:03
I also had a mechanical failure causing my inspire to lose power and crash shortly after I received  ...

I have been told that because I took off from my driveway that the rebar in the concrete made it crash??? Go figure. I do not think my builder used rebar, maybe thin wire but no rebar. Sounds like an excuse to me.
2015-5-7
Use props
averbouwens
lvl.4
Flight distance : 83642 ft
United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-5-8 06:03
I also had a mechanical failure causing my inspire to lose power and crash shortly after I received  ...

My mechanical failure happened over a raging river.  Bird 1 is gone forever and I am waiting for DJI to review my flight logs and forms.  Hope it doesn't take forever.
2015-5-7
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

Bill Davis Posted at 2015-5-8 07:00
I have been told that because I took off from my driveway that the rebar in the concrete made it c ...

Ok that's ridiculous.
2015-5-7
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Bill Davis Posted at 2015-5-8 07:00
I have been told that because I took off from my driveway that the rebar in the concrete made it c ...

I agree, I was in concrete construction for 20 years, either rebar or "chicken wire" (wire mesh) is used in every concrete structure.  So they are implying you must launch from a dirt surface or it is user error?
2015-5-7
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Really sorry for that...You have sent your log to us right? I'll follow up your case too.
2015-5-8
Use props
insectorchid3
lvl.2

United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-5-8 11:10
I agree, I was in concrete construction for 20 years, either rebar or "chicken wire" (wire mesh) i ...

yes i missed that part in the Manual that sed you must not take off from concrete
2015-5-8
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-5-8 18:03
Really sorry for that...You have sent your log to us right? I'll follow up your case too.

Thanks DJI-Autumn,
For your effort to help me.
I  appreciat all the help that i can have.

I've just got the email with all the details to send the Log file.

I can't power on my inspire so I hope there is a way to get all the information without using it.
I will send all the information as soon as possible.
2015-5-8
Use props
GrahamJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 595538 ft
Australia

Look, I am VERY sorry for what happened!  But, where were you flying, if the bird crashed into a building at an altitude of 150m?  That is one hell of a high-rise?  so, just spit-balling here, but, with buildings that size, it's save to say it was in a high density environment, which could have had various sources of radio interference, that may have caused your catastrophic failure?   
2015-5-8
Use props
Bill Davis
New

United States

Yes Autumn, DJI needs to be blunt about the flight issues. They also need more staff so we are not on hold for an hour. They also need to hire more staff in there shop. 5 to 6 weeks to look at a new 3 thousand dollar copter and they do not seem to care. Everyone talks about how poor your customer service is. If you get one company that can make a good drone with good customer service, you guys will be out of business very quickly.
2015-5-8
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

GrahamJ Posted at 2015-5-8 22:20
Look, I am VERY sorry for what happened!  But, where were you flying, if the bird crashed into a bui ...

Good question,
It was an open area far from the Central city area.  
The only high building in the area was that new building-not even finished. The exterior is complete but no business inside.
And i was far enough from it,
I did took him into consideration during the flight and I alwase kept on straight line between me and the inspire. believe me, I loved my inspire and i handle it with a super care. It not even had a scratch on it.

The thing is that even if there was some interference to the radio i should have see some video signal issues or at least the radio reception notification at the app go down.
What i have got is a very stable and strong signal to video and control and at once no signal at all! I run towards the inspire to try to get a signal back but it never established again.
2015-5-8
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Bill Davis Posted at 2015-5-8 22:44
Yes Autumn, DJI needs to be blunt about the flight issues. They also need more staff so we are not o ...

I agree totally with the statement.  I do want to make it clear though that WHEN I did get connected to a human being, he was very nice and helpful.  I don't think the issue has to do with WHO is working support, but rather HOW MANY people have been hired by DJI to provide support.

I imagine it is pretty tough being a DJI support rep, everyone is pissed off about being on hold for hours when they are connected and most likely pissed off that they crashed their $3k craft.  Keeping that nice attitude and calm composure call after call after call has to be difficult..
2015-5-8
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

averbouwens Posted at 2015-5-8 07:03
My mechanical failure happened over a raging river.  Bird 1 is gone forever and I am waiting for DJ ...

Question - if you lose your Inspire completely, like in a river for example, will DJI get enough info from the Cloud log saved by the phone/tablet?   Typically you get it from the Inspire itself but if it's gone or can't power up, what's the process?
2015-5-8
Use props
rallolah
lvl.1

Sweden

Man.. I was on 1.2.1.0 and things were fantastic.. I did not want to upgrade to 1.2.1.03 at the beginning but I did that yesterday.. Now after reading your post I am fairly scared to test my I1.. When will DJI ever stop using us as beta testers after they throw their new FW and APP releases into their web site?!

:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@:@
2015-5-8
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

rallolah Posted at 2015-5-9 08:37
Man.. I was on 1.2.1.0 and things were fantastic.. I did not want to upgrade to 1.2.1.03 at the begi ...

I also had a great experience with 1.2.1.0, no issues at all.

Just the day before the crash i shooted some great pieces of video with it and i was amazed by this wonderful machine.
2015-5-9
Use props
mmunoz1170
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-5-9
Use props
dandmpetro
lvl.2

United States

Mine lost connection as well,  Nothing happened and it still seemed to have control but no camera,  I was not moving at the time.  I think i may of noticed it earlier today as well but told myself "How could this be"
2015-5-9
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi

Thats why RTH height entry is VERY IMPORTANT!
2015-5-9
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

mmunoz1170@mac. Posted at 2015-5-10 06:06
I have had a great experience with the  NEW 1.2.1.03 Upgrade,  All my setting stayed the same no c ...

Says everyone until they have an unexpected and unexplained catastrophic failure...
2015-5-9
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-5-9 04:07
I agree totally with the statement.  I do want to make it clear though that WHEN I did get connect ...

Here's the thing about the people there. I had a complaint about how things were handled. I asked to be escalated and he said there is nobody who could help me further. The guy I talked to (Oscar I believe) made it very clear to me that they are in tech support ONLY and that there is NO customer service at DJI.

This is pretty alarming for a company that sells professional equipment costing thousands of dollars to offer zero customer service.

I think anyone who has ever owned a drone made by DJI knows that DJI's existence will be brief unless they are acquired by another company. They had a massive first mover advantage in the quad market and they are pissing it all away. They will join a long list of companies who had a giant first mover advantage and then disappeared because they let new companies beat them at their own game.

3DRobotics is the first serious competitor and it won't take much effort by them to poach DJI customers if their products work as advertised and they provide even a minimal amount of customer service. If that holds true there would be zero incentive to ever buy another DJI product again.
2015-5-9
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-5-10 10:58
Here's the thing about the people there. I had a complaint about how things were handled. I asked  ...

Wow, that's a pretty shocking statement from the DJI Tech guy.  I don't think anyone who has dealt with the DJI "customer service" setup would dare try and say it is sufficient.  I surely was not as I had a horrid experience myself.  I was simply stating that the personnel I spoke with were nice and seemed concerned.   What has shocked me personally is that a billion dollar company has not gone full throttle into trying to fix such a vital branch of its company.  I can maybe find excuses why support was not at full operation at the launch, but not this far out after launch.

I do agree completely that if major changes are not made very very soon that customers will absolutely abandon DJI and look elsewhere.
2015-5-9
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

roy@netraction. Posted at 2015-5-10 10:58
Here's the thing about the people there. I had a complaint about how things were handled. I asked  ...

Read the article I posted about Frank Wang. His pound your chest mentality will be short lived. It is a matter of time before DJI loses 50% of it customers with new products coming out. I am happy with the fact that 3DR is an American company. Read about their policy on Fly Aways or crashes. If they hold true to their word, you will see the masses jumping ship.
2015-5-9
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

arunmehta Posted at 2015-5-10 09:56
Thats why RTH height entry is VERY IMPORTANT!

If it's working as should. Dji confirmed that there is a bug with Failsafe setup when using latest IOS app (1.1.1) with the new 1.2.1.03 FW.
there is a long way until Failsafe will be a thing that you can really trust, and I'm sure that Dji will try to advance it further,
For example- Failsafe will take control when connection is lost, so way not to try go back a few meters at the same path of flight it just did to try regain control again before flying back to home point?
Or
Until there will be a sensor that will help estimate the distance around the inspire, why Failsafe not using the camera to avoid obstacles on his way to home point?
2015-5-10
Use props
CrabHawk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7782 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been unable to load the new firmware, My bird has been sitting for 3 weeks, so I still have it and haven't hit any walls I guess that's the good news.
2015-5-10
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

CrabHawk Posted at 2015-5-11 00:41
I have been unable to load the new firmware, My bird has been sitting for 3 weeks, so I still have i ...

Me too, been sitting for almost a week.  Add that to a two month wait to be repaired after a defect caused a crash on second flight and this Inspire is turning into more of a decoration than an aircraft.
2015-5-10
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-5-11 02:56
Me too, been sitting for almost a week.  Add that to a two month wait to be repaired after a defec ...

Yep. I've actually grounded myself until I have insurance locked in. With all the reported flyaways this thing is way too dangerous to fly without insurance.

It's a miracle nobody has been seriously hurt by an Inspire flyaway. It's only a matter of time... If someone is seriously injured (or worse) and it's determined the cause was faulty DJI hardware/software then that could be the last nail in the DJI coffin.
2015-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules