Controller disconnect 60 feet away.
1086 5 2018-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

[size=14.6667px]Had a strange thing happen today, I went to a local Historical community here in my home town. I asked my wife to walk along the sidewalk next to the antheneom hotel in Chautauqua. I used active track to track her. All went great, until I "stopped" the active track when she came back to me. I hit the stop icon on the phone and then I just started to fly it myself. I flew back over toward the hotel about 60 -100 feet away and 20 feet in the air. At that point the controller LED went red, the quad started flashing yellow very rapidly, The phone said aircraft disconnected, and the quad went in to RTH. There was nothing I could do to reestablish connection. It rose to 180 feet high, (which is what I set for RTH) came back to the start point and landed. Now what did I do wrong? Should I have stopped active track in a different manner? It all looked good when I stopped it and I had 16 Sats at the time. I uploaded the flight to airdata and it shows the last location at exactaly the point where it initiated RTH, with 16 sats locked. It showed ZERO signal errors. I came home and connected everything up, and I physically walked the quad around my 40 acre property and never lost the connection back to my son who was holding the controller and watching the video on the phone. The quad at that point was shoulder height being walked through the paths I have brush hogged on my property and was, at most times, out of line of site to the controller, never lost signal. Now here is the kicker! When I was filming at Chautauqua, a National Grid Van (our local meter readers and power supplier) drove by me, just as I stopped the active track. Do you suppose that the system they have for reading meters on peoples houses could have interfered with the wifi and "stepped" on the connection? All these Schmucks do is ride around and read the meters wirelessly from the comfort of the vehicle. Thoughts?
2018-3-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

See this article (you can start at Choppy WiFi) : Smart Meters Kill Wifi, Not People

2018-3-31
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-3-31 14:07
See this article (you can start at Choppy WiFi) : Smart Meters Kill Wifi, Not People

Interesting, Something clearly cut the connection. I had the sense to look at the controller LED to see if it was green and still connected to the quad. It was not, it was red. And the devise said aircraft disconnected. I just let the RTH play out, as the quad looked like it was doing what it was supposed to.  I am going to go back to the scene of the crime when the weather permits. This time I will set my RTH upon controller disconnect, to hover. I will fly to the same place and see what happens. If it repeats, and I cannot reconnect even with powering off the controller and powering back on, the quad will hover until the battery lands it. This all happened in a wide open Lawn 20 feet off the ground 60 -100 feet in front of me. Should it happen on 2.4 I'll try it on 5.8 and see what transpires.
2018-3-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Best of Luck!
Please do report back on outcome.   
2018-3-31
Use props
Mactech
lvl.2
United States

This is exactly what happened to me just now.  I fly my P4P here at home all the time, never an issue, 2nd flight with Mavic Air and controller disconnects.  It would not reconnect automatically and did RTH coming just above my head from 180 feet up.  I never powered cycled the RC before to restore connection and never lost it with P4s.
2018-4-1
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
United States

Mactech Posted at 2018-4-1 09:26
This is exactly what happened to me just now.  I fly my P4P here at home all the time, never an issue, 2nd flight with Mavic Air and controller disconnects.  It would not reconnect automatically and did RTH coming just above my head from 180 feet up.  I never powered cycled the RC before to restore connection and never lost it with P4s.

800 bucks for a quad that may or may not stay connected to a controller that is only a few hundred feet away. Not a terribly comforting thing to have looming over your head each flight. I'll need more time with it to see if it continues. If it does, it's going back while under warranty.
2018-4-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules