My pcs to old right.
909 24 2018-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 266 ft
Poland

Hi, I can play back the video I record from the phantom at 1080p straight from the sd card on to the sd card slot on pc but when I try to play anything higher like 4k the play back just shows a still image . I've only  just learnt how to fly the p4 in atti mode. I no nothing about video editing but I know I use vcl player to play  video  on my pc. I suppose being the fact my laptop is around 9 years old it can only play 1080p and its its reached maximum output. Its running Windows 10 64 bit. Video editing is somthing I will get into once I've got good fly the p4.
2018-4-3
Use props
ovlovv70
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26020 ft

I cannot use computer for 4K but i can put card into my smart tv and plays fine.
2018-4-3
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft

I think you hit the nail on the head your pc  is not powerful enough   . i had exactly the same on an old acer and in the end upgraded to a Macbook pro with Final cut pro x to edit 4k.
2018-4-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, a faster computer is necessary. Please upgrade it, as soon as reasonably suitable.

RedHotPoker
2018-4-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

For the time being, until you can invest in a more powerful PC, you can always record your drone footage at a lower resolution, say 720, and that may play on your elderly laptop.
2018-4-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-4-3 09:32
For the time being, until you can invest in a more powerful PC, you can always record your drone footage at a lower resolution, say 720, and that may play on your elderly laptop.

He can already play back in 1080p but not in 4K. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-4-3
Use props
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

If you plan on doing video editing in 4k, do yourself a favor and do a lot of research before you buy a PC..... A new $600 PC isnt going to cut it for 4k edits unless its like 2 minute clips or less.....
2018-4-3
Use props
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
Spain

James R Posted at 2018-4-3 13:42
If you plan on doing video editing in 4k, do yourself a favor and do a lot of research before you buy a PC..... A new $600 PC isnt going to cut it for 4k edits unless its like 2 minute clips or less.....

Thanks for that info. Its good to know that there's people taking in what I'm saying. Once I've learnt all the different flying techiecs I'll find a decent pc to work 4k on. Meanwhile my 9 year old acer laptop is going to have its work cut out for a while with 1080p. But seems to play 1080p without issue. So ill try that. Ive got a 3tb external hard drive I  an store video on.
2018-4-3
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX Posted at 2018-4-3 13:47
Thanks for that info. Its good to know that there's people taking in what I'm saying. Once I've learnt all the different flying techiecs I'll find a decent pc to work 4k on. Meanwhile my 9 year old acer laptop is going to have its work cut out for a while with 1080p. But seems to play 1080p without issue. So ill try that. Ive got a 3tb external hard drive I  an store video on.

I have exactly the same problem as you do unfortunately im a little constrained for cash so the pc will have to wait what im doing in the mean time is still taking my 4k videos but im storing them all on an external hdd for later editing. Any videos i wish to publish or show my family i lower the resolution to something the computer can handle.

You are not alone there are many of us that cant edit 4k videos
2018-4-3
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-4-3 10:51
He can already play back in 1080p but not in 4K. ;-)

The less strain on the processor and RAM, the less white smoke will come out of the air vents ;)
2018-4-3
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I thought the smoke was meant to come out after all isnt that what the vents are for   lol
2018-4-3
Use props
dorbot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 844770 ft

Try VLC version 3.Its been updated to play 4k natively.

What cpu and GFX card do you have again? Not sure what the minimum for 4k is. What monitor do you have?

2018-4-3
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4

You can always use proxies for video editing, you don't need an uber computer. That being said, my XPS 15 9560 is great for a laptop.
2018-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You said you played back the videos direct from the SD card. That is not a good idea, copy the files to a hard disk or solid-state disc first, then play them.

If you want to eventually playback 4K video, the most important things to include in the computer is a fast processor, preferably 6 cores or more, and a good graphics card. The graphics card is particularly important, as it can be used by the player application to speed up performance.
2018-4-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-4-3 15:08
The less strain on the processor and RAM, the less white smoke will come out of the air vents ;)

What about the smoke exiting the ears of the beholder? Ha

RedHotPoker
2018-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-4-3 15:26
I thought the smoke was meant to come out after all isnt that what the vents are for   lol

Yes, but no soot and ash with it...

RedHotPoker
2018-4-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-3 16:27
You said you played back the videos direct from the SD card. That is not a good idea, copy the files to a hard disk or solid-state disc first, then play them.

If you want to eventually playback 4K video, the most important things to include in the computer is a fast processor, preferably 6 cores or more, and a good graphics card. The graphics card is particularly important, as it can be used by the player application to speed up performance.

I am so glad I updated my computer, before buying thr Phantom 3 Pro'.

Now, I just need an 8K monitor, to be ahead of the curve.  Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-4-4
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX Posted at 2018-4-3 13:47
Thanks for that info. Its good to know that there's people taking in what I'm saying. Once I've learnt all the different flying techiecs I'll find a decent pc to work 4k on. Meanwhile my 9 year old acer laptop is going to have its work cut out for a while with 1080p. But seems to play 1080p without issue. So ill try that. Ive got a 3tb external hard drive I  an store video on.

What i would say is to maintain your current processor speed and maybe speed it up , delete all the apps you don't use and move all the pictures and film  you have onto your external drive .
2018-4-4
Use props
djiuser_zUQ9JbysumUX
lvl.2
Spain

djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa Posted at 2018-4-3 15:46
You can always use proxies for video editing, you don't need an uber computer. That being said, my XPS 15 9560 is great for a laptop.

Proxies? How do I do that?
2018-4-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-4-4 10:34
What i would say is to maintain your current processor speed and maybe speed it up , delete all the apps you don't use and move all the pictures and film  you have onto your external drive .

'...and move all the pictures and film  you have onto your external drive .'

That may not be a good idea, depending how the external drive is connected. If you are trying to play back 4K video, then the drive connection can often be the limiting factor.
2018-4-4
Use props
djiuser_iGJqCoTNTQSa
lvl.4

There are a ton of tutorials on it.
https://www.shutterstock.com/blo ... aster-video-editing
2018-4-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

It is not a simple process unless the editing application manages it all for you. But the principle is to make exact copies of all the original material, but at a reduced resolution and bit rate. That way the computer can handle the lower spec video during the editing process. When you finally finish the job, the computer then uses the original high resolution video to render out a final edited program in 4K or whatever.

Unfortunately though, applications that create proxies for you only tend to be availalbe with high end editors. However, in later versions, the aircraft will automatically create proxies for you in a rather hard to find folder on the SD card in the aircraft.
2018-4-4
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-4 17:05
'...and move all the pictures and film  you have onto your external drive .'

That may not be a good idea, depending how the external drive is connected. If you are trying to play back 4K video, then the drive connection can often be the limiting factor.

What i was referring to was moving all redundant pic/vid not the ones in edit
2018-4-4
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-4-4 21:33
What i was referring to was moving all redundant pic/vid not the ones in edit

OK, I did not read it that way.
2018-4-4
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's more than just speed of machine. 4k is a relatively new format. It's unlikely that any graphics card or chip more than two or three years old will support the 4k format.

My desktop, up until recently (now works well with a GTX1080 TI), couldn't playback 4k, it was not lack of performance but lack of support for the newer format that held it back.
It now handles editing very well :-)

On the other hand my MS Surface Pro 3, rescales and plays back 4k @ 30 fps, as well as having 4k output; but it's a bit underpowered for editing.
2018-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules