Battery charge questions
1324 37 2018-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nywrecker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

Why is it bad to keep the batteries fully charged for more than 10 days?To what level are they discharged automatically after 10 days?
How do you manually discharge a battery?
If a battery is at 50%, is it better to discharge and then recharge it, or straight charge?
Thanks

2018-4-4
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's no need to manually discharge batteries. If you set them aside and don't press the battery button, they will automatically discharge down to the storage level.

Check out this related thread from earlier today:
https://forum.dji.com/thread-142956-1-1.html
2018-4-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can set the discharge rate in the app. I set mine to 3 days and they will discharge after the 3rd day.

if I need to use them after that date then quick charge and am up and running so need to discharge to fully charge them.  

You only need to fully discharge once every 6 month. Fly until 3%, stop your flight, let it cool and then you can charge them back.

I have 6 batteries for almost 18 months and so far none had any problems.

2018-4-4
Use props
nywrecker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 832421 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-4-4 17:55
You can set the discharge rate in the app. I set mine to 3 days and they will discharge after the 3rd day.

if I need to use them after that date then quick charge and am up and running so need to discharge to fully charge them.  

Where do you set the amount of days until the discharge?
What’s the actual need for the discharge?
2018-4-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

nywrecker Posted at 2018-4-4 19:18

Mavic Air intelligent battery will automatically discharge after 10 days storage. You don't need to set the auto-discharge time. For the discharge details, please refer to the screenshot below.
For your last question, you don't have to discharge the battery first then charge, just charge it to full directly. discharge.png
2018-4-4
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I have set the minimum 3 days, however my preference is to take battery management into my own hands and leave the batteries at 50% after use if I won't be flying the drone in the next few days. I also ensure I fully recharge and discharge every 2-3 months. A short flight and the Mavic battery to USB charger adapter is a handy tool for this purpose.
2018-4-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

For Mavic Air there is no such setting.
2018-4-4
Use props
Hestia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135381 ft
Italy

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-4 21:53
For Mavic Air there is no such setting.

I was wondering why I did not find anything about it till now

2018-4-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

In the app under the battery page
2018-4-5
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

When the batteries go into self discharge do they give off much heat.
Do they need vented or can they stay in the hard case travel bag.
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI P5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59610 ft
Singapore

dronist Posted at 2018-4-4 17:55

for mavic air you have no way to set the discharge timing, it fix to 10 days auto discharge
2018-4-6
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI P5 Posted at 2018-4-6 17:06
for mavic air you have no way to set the discharge timing, it fix to 10 days auto discharge

The OP did NOT mention Mavic Air.

2018-4-6
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

sky6105 Posted at 2018-4-5 07:34

I never leave the battery in case. Always out on the shelf. You don't want a Kaboooom!
2018-4-6
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2018-4-6 17:58
The OP did NOT mention Mavic Air.

He didn't really need to, he designated the topic as Mavic Air...
2018-4-7
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-7 00:35
He didn't really need to, he designated the topic as Mavic Air...

Yes he needs to because everything NOW under MAVIC is showing as MAVIC AIR, no more MAVIC PRO or MAVIC AIR.

Also on the thread top left ist says:

Home / MAVIC

2018-4-7
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Reinforces what I said before.  The Air needs to have its own forum, not with the MP.  Way too confusing.
2018-4-7
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2018-4-7 18:17
Yes he needs to because everything NOW under MAVIC is showing as MAVIC AIR, no more MAVIC PRO or MAVIC AIR.

Also on the thread top left ist says:

That's not true, when opening a new thread, the topicstarter can designate the topic as Mavic Air, by choice. So if a topic is designated as 'Mavic Air', the topic is probably going to be about.... The Mavic Air.  But I agree with you, the forum is a mess, there at least should be an option to designate the topic as Mavic Pro, allong with better filter options so you can include or disclude certain topics.
It is however not a mess any user could or should work around or fix...

new topic.jpg

2018-4-7
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-4-7 20:06
Reinforces what I said before.  The Air needs to have its own forum, not with the MP.  Way too confusing.

That's the problem, the Air HAS its own topic., the MP sadly doesn't... since DJI forget to add the topic when they created the Air topic.

The fix looks easy enough to implement, so what's taking so long.
2018-4-7
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-7 23:02
That's not true, when opening a new thread, the topicstarter can designate the topic as Mavic Air, by choice. So if a topic is designated as 'Mavic Air', the topic is probably going to be about.... The Mavic Air.  But I agree with you, the forum is a mess, there at least should be an option to designate the topic as Mavic Pro, allong with better filter options so you can include or disclude certain topics.
It is however not a mess any user could or should work around or fix...

That is why in the thread's subject OP should mention MAVIC PRO or MAVIC AIR because the LAZY DJI programmer just replaced MAVIC PRO with MAVIC AIR.  

2018-4-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 10017858 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

sky6105 Posted at 2018-4-5 07:34

They will be fine in your case, and yes the will emit heat it’s normal, lipo bags which are pretty cheap are a very good option.
2018-4-8
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-8 07:13
They will be fine in your case, and yes the will emit heat it’s normal, lipo bags which are pretty cheap are a very good option.

Thanks Hallmark didn't even think about the lipo bag.
2018-4-8
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2018-4-8 07:08
That is why in the thread's subject OP should mention MAVIC PRO or MAVIC AIR because the LAZY DJI programmer just replaced MAVIC PRO with MAVIC AIR.

The programmer didn't replace anything, the Mavic Air category is new, he just was to lazy to also add a Mavic Pro category...

A topicstarter can choose in which category they post their thread, if they choose to put it in the Mavic Air category, what type of Mavic do you think the original poster is talking about in his thread?

So no, a topicstarter, talking about the Mavic Air,  who decides to put the thread in the Mavic Air category, does exactly what is expected, and doesn't need to fix DJI's mess, that's up to DJI...

So again, If a topic is marked Mavic Air, its probably about a... Mavic Air...
You can test it for yourself, select Mavic Air here at the top of the forum, look at the threads in the first page of threads, and find me a Mavic Pro topic. If your lucky you may find 1 or 2.

2018-4-8
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-8 08:44
The programmer didn't replace anything, the Mavic Air category is new, he just was to lazy to also add a Mavic Pro category...

A topicstarter can choose in which category they post their thread, if they choose to put it in the Mavic Air category, what type of Mavic do you think the original poster is talking about in his thread?

Dude,

Yes they did. Before MAVIC AIRr it used to be MAVIC PRO for the past a year and a half MAVIC AIR was just released few month ago!
Second, how long have you been in the forum to know and or argue about what Category used or was there before? Third the OP did not complain or... So are you here to help others or keep going round and round?   Grow up dude!
2018-4-8
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Air Data is a great way to keep track of you battery usage and condition. It's free, although with limited usage.

2018-4-8
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2018-4-8 10:38
Dude,

Yes they did. Before MAVIC AIRr it used to be MAVIC PRO for the past a year and a half MAVIC AIR was just released few month ago!

Dude, You're flat-out lying.
It doesn't matter how long I visit this forum, Either way I've been here long enough to see the Mavic Air topic filter been created, It didn't substitute anything 'Dude'. There was no Mavic Pro topic filter. Here's a snapshot of before the Mavic Air filter was introduced so you can see for yourself.

mavic.jpg

2018-4-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 14177772 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

QuadKid Posted at 2018-4-8 10:49
Air Data is a great way to keep track of you battery usage and condition. It's free, although with limited usage.

[view_image]

That's good info to know as it seems the battery mAh capacity level no longer shows in the app
2018-4-8
Use props
Bluehook
lvl.4
Flight distance : 790814 ft
United States

So, learning about my new MA and it's Lithium Polymer battery, I have become very aware of it's potential for temperamental behavior and even it's dangers.

Then, the other day, while working at my bench, I noticed that my Makita Screw Gun and my Makita Impact Driver both use Lithium-Ion batteries.  Now, I gotta tell you, for years, I have never paid any mind to these batteries.  I literally beat the living dog-sh*t out of them daily and never think twice about diminishing their performance or having them explode.

Other than the word -Lithium- do the Makita batteries have anything in common with the MA battery?  Should I be treating them differently?

2018-4-8
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-8 13:18
Dude, You're flat-out lying.
It doesn't matter how long I visit this forum, Either way I've been here long enough to see the Mavic Air topic filter been created, It didn't substitute anything 'Dude'. There was no Mavic Pro topic filter. Here's a snapshot of before the Mavic Air filter was introduced so you can see for yourself.

Dude, so you go to mommy and do some Photoshop and come back and paste it to make your point???

As I said before: "GROW UP DUDE"  

The OP did not complain so you try to hijack his thread with your this or that or you'r flat=out lying, you are going to hell now...  BTW, How old are you?
2018-4-8
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

2018-4-8
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2018-4-8 17:00
Dude, so you go to mommy and do some Photoshop and come back and paste it to make your point???

As I said before: "GROW UP DUDE"   

Photoshop my ass, like I said, I've seen the Mavic Air filter being introduced. Funny thing about that internetz thing you should know 'Dude', everything gets archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20170911063420/https://forum.dji.com/forum-104-1.html
Your made up 'story' has been debunked and you know it.
A word of advise before you tell others to grow up, it doesn't get any credibility when you're laying on the floor kicking and screeming while lying thu your teeth acting like an ignorant, petulant child.
Now either shush, or cry us yet another river. It's up to you, 'Dude'  

2018-4-8
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-8 21:26
Photoshop my ass, like I said, I've seen the Mavic Air filter being introduced. Funny thing about that internetz thing you should know 'Dude', everything gets archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20170911063420/https://forum.dji.com/forum-104-1.html
Your made up 'story' has been debunked and you know it.
A word of advise before you tell others to grow up, it doesn't get any credibility when you're laying on the floor kicking and screeming while lying thu your teeth acting like an ignorant, petulant child.

Hahahaha, You are very GULLIBLE dude   Just pulling your legs and maybe your pants too.

As I said grow up, smell the coffee and mind your tongue!   this forum is read by teenagers too!

Move to another subject you so SERIOUSLY MATURE dude (Feel better now???).

2018-4-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just pulling his legs and went for it
2018-4-9
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2018-4-9 05:53
Hahahaha, You are very GULLIBLE dude   Just pulling your legs and maybe your pants too.

As I said grow up, smell the coffee and mind your tongue!   this forum is read by teenagers too!

Well, you proved one thing, humor has no boundries. A bit of a weird masochistic sense of humor though, not many get enjoyment out of getting caught with their pants down.
2018-4-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-9 06:49
Well, you proved one thing, humor has no boundries. A bit of a weird masochistic sense of humor, not many get enjoyment out of getting caught with their pants down.

Dude HUMOR NEVER had and NEVER will have boundaries!

So chill out, go help some starving kids instead, maybe you will feel a lot better or maybe not!

Again, be careful what you write on the board, like (masochistic sense of humor) now kids are going to ask their mommy and daddy, what this MATURE GROWN UP dude mean (masochistic sense of humor)!  

2018-4-9
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2018-4-9 07:00
Dude HUMOR NEVER had and NEVER will have boundaries!

So chill out, go help some starving kids instead, maybe you will feel a lot better or maybe not!

You don't have kids now do ya?

Trust me, kids nowadays google things when they want to understand something, and then confront their parents. You'd love em, they will get you caught with your pants down on your ankels, sometimes even on a daily basis. Totally your cup of tea.

2018-4-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-9 07:42
You don't have kids now do ya?

Trust me, kids nowadays google things when they want to understand something, and then confront their parents. You'd love em, they will get you caught with your pants down on your ankels, sometimes even on a daily basis. Totally your cup of tea.

I guess you know from experience
2018-4-9
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2018-4-9 07:47
I guess you know from experience

Yes, a bundle of joy, which you will loose a lot of sleep over.
2018-4-9
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-9 08:58
Yes, a bundle of joy, which you will loose a lot of sleep over.

Actually I am going to sleep with my socks on tonight, JUST for you

2018-4-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules