Help, setup not going well!
918 11 2018-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_ctHsTw8yhSm6
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi, I just got my Spark yesterday and I am frustrated beyond belief.  I can't seem to connect via my Google Pixel (got it connected last night and I could use the app-- it was inside so I didn't try flying, it couldn't find GPS anyway) but today I never come up as connected-- even though I'm on the RC wifi?

I'm really hoping it is something I am doing wrong!

When I turn everything on then start the DJI app it should say 'connected'. Right?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm wondering if it's a problem specific to the google pixel which is great otherwise.

I spent a fruitless half hour with the online help who concluded that nothing was going to work.

Any suggestions? All the videos seem to go straight into 'connect'!
2018-4-10
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would say it's most likely due to the incompatibly of Google Pixel phone. DJI drones really work best with Apple products. I might say it's part of the requirements.
2018-4-10
Use props
djiuser_ctHsTw8yhSm6
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Well I just found the answer on another thread-- I 'forgot' the network then reconnected and everything worked like it should have and I did my first mini test flight.

I guess I'll have to go through that each time-- annoyingly!  

I think this needs to be documented for DJI, I spent a painful half hour with their online help today and even when I suggested it was the pixel he never suggested re-logging onto the wifi!  The online helper insisted that the spark wasn't working and I should return it!
2018-4-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_ctHsTw8yhSm6 Posted at 2018-4-10 08:46
Well I just found the answer on another thread-- I 'forgot' the network then reconnected and everything worked like it should have and I did my first mini test flight.

--I guess I'll have to go through that each time-- annoyingly!--

I have read about such behavior of RC/Spark.
Another reason for bringing OTG back on, DJI.
People don't always want to buy iOS  for this!
2018-4-10
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

djiuser_ctHsTw8yhSm6 Posted at 2018-4-10 08:46
Well I just found the answer on another thread-- I 'forgot' the network then reconnected and everything worked like it should have and I did my first mini test flight.

I had an android. Everytime it connected to the RC wi-fi a message would pop-up saying something like that: "No internet connection. Keep connected?". I had got to click "yes" before opening the DJI GO. Otherwise it wouldnt connect. And after each flight I had to forget the network and then follow the same procedure in the same fashion before next flight.
2018-4-10
Use props
djiuser_ctHsTw8yhSm6
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I spent ages trying to connect before I found this on the forum... I'm going to email DJI and tell them to let their online help know, I wasted ages trying to sort this today!  It's my first drone and I was just sure it was something in the software, I even un- and re installed the app.

I asked if I should try OTG as I thought that would have bypassed the whole connection issue and they said not to-- said the drone wasn't working and I should return it for a refund!!?! They must not know about the android wifi issue!
2018-4-10
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You could check here : https://forum.dji.com/thread-133861-1-1.html
2018-4-10
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

djiuser_ctHsTw8yhSm6 Posted at 2018-4-10 09:23
I spent ages trying to connect before I found this on the forum... I'm going to email DJI and tell them to let their online help know, I wasted ages trying to sort this today!  It's my first drone and I was just sure it was something in the software, I even un- and re installed the app.

I asked if I should try OTG as I thought that would have bypassed the whole connection issue and they said not to-- said the drone wasn't working and I should return it for a refund!!?! They must not know about the android wifi issue!

Actually the dealer who sold me the drone left everything up and running to me, including the DJI GO app. When I got home to test it I just couldn’t connect it but I saw the drone flying minutes before so I definitely knew it was something I was doing “wrong”. I also took quite sometime but unintentionally I sorted it out.
Indeed this is really odd DJI online support couldn’t guide you through a such simple procedure.
2018-4-10
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

I spent ages trying to connect before I found this on the forum... I'm going to email DJI and tell them to let their online help know, I wasted ages trying to sort this today!  It's my first drone and I was just sure it was something in the software, I even un- and re installed the app.

Actually the dealer who sold me the drone left everything up and running to me, including the DJI GO app. When I got home to test it I just couldn’t connect it but I saw the drone flying minutes before so I definitely knew it was something I was doing “wrong”. I also took quite sometime but unintentionally I sorted it out.
Indeed this is really odd DJI online support couldn’t guide you through a such simple procedure.
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry for the inconvenience it brings. The situation will be forwarded to our designated department to improve our service. Any other problem you encounter with the drone? Please feel free to contact us, thanks.
2018-4-10
Use props
Ichthubolos
New
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-10 20:23
Sorry for the inconvenience it brings. The situation will be forwarded to our designated department to improve our service. Any other problem you encounter with the drone? Please feel free to contact us, thanks.

I'm not sure this is an Android WiFi issue as much as an Android "feature" -- on my Google Pixel 2 I disabled the advanced WiFi setting to "Switch to mobile data automatically" -- that did the trick. In general, I would recommend switching to airplane mode anyway during flight -- and connecting via WiFi after switching to airplane mode.
2018-4-29
Use props
djiuser_ctHsTw8yhSm6
lvl.1

Thanks icht. My standard way of operating now is to forget the WiFi and reconnect each time and it works. But I'll definitely be looking for a cleaner solution-- and I never thought to consider checking out the advanced wifi settings. I'd expect the pixel to be optimised for Android and I hope DJI are taking note, as the pixel + spark should be a great combination. I haven't been back to DJI about this issue but if I hadn't found information in this forum I would have given up as the online help advised me to. I'm making videos now and despite the rocky start I'm as thrilled with my spark as I'd hoped to be.
2018-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules