Controller Overcharged?
2742 28 2018-4-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

I am lost for words! I recently noticed that my P4 Controller does not charge fully, and discharges really quickly. I sent it in to a local DJI store for a check on 24 March and they never got back to me. I have a trip at the end of this month and could not wait any longer, so I gave them a call today.
Before I could even ask about the status, the guy on the phone told me that all repairs are delayed because the technician is on Emergency Leave. I insisted that I sent it way back, and he said he would check and return my call. He called me and said, that the board on my controller is burnt, that it is a normal thing for the boards to burn and I will need to pay RM1200 (~300USD) to change the board. When I asked how did the board burn, he said that it is a normal thing for boards to burn if/when overcharged. What I do not understand is, I have never left my controller charging overnight (anyone can argue this, but that's not the point), and even if I did, the charge should cut when the batteries are full right? He also went on to say that this is a normal occurance for DJI controllers and asked if I wanted to proceed with the repair.

I have a couple of questions for the experienced people or any DJI moderators here. Is this normal? I am quite skeptical about DJI products if this is normal, and I have been considering the Mavic Air for portability. If it is, I think I should just cut my losses and move on to another brand. All your thoughts and comments are appreciated.

2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We're so sorry for the troubles. I've tried to get your case number via the forum info, but failed. Could you leave your case number and the phone number you contacted our support? We'd like to check the exact status and help you. Thanks in advance!
2018-4-10
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-10 22:14
We're so sorry for the troubles. I've tried to get your case number via the forum info, but failed. Could you leave your case number and the phone number you contacted our support? We'd like to check the exact status and help you. Thanks in advance!

Hi Susan,

Thank you for the reply. I sent my controller to the DJI Authorized Store in Paradigm Mall, Malaysia. They did not give me a case number, just a repair sheet.
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-10 22:22
Hi Susan,

Thank you for the reply. I sent my controller to the DJI Authorized Store in Paradigm Mall, Malaysia. They did not give me a case number, just a repair sheet.

Thanks for getting back to us. Generally, the dealer will report in dealer system if the issue is beyond their ability. Whether it is paid service depends on the damage assessment results. With the case number, we can check the current status in our system and see whether we can help you. Could you contact the dealer for a double check?
2018-4-10
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-10 23:08
Thanks for getting back to us. Generally, the dealer will report in dealer system if the issue is beyond their ability. Whether it is paid service depends on the damage assessment results. With the case number, we can check the current status in our system and see whether we can help you. Could you contact the dealer for a double check?

I called them again and they insist that I don't have a case number as I am out of warranty. They say that they are unable to log this back to HQ. Is this true?
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-10 23:16
I called them again and they insist that I don't have a case number as I am out of warranty. They say that they are unable to log this back to HQ. Is this true?

There will be case number no matter whether the unit is in warranty period or not. I'm not sure why they are unable to log back in the system, but they can ask the corresponding managers for help.

Regarding your case, I'd suggest the dealer report in the dealer system to get the case number. Alternatively, you can contact our support via support@dji.com and send the unit to DJI directly. BTW, repair cost might be required if the RC has been out of warranty, please kindly note and understand.
2018-4-11
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-11 00:13
There will be case number no matter whether the unit is in warranty period or not. I'm not sure why they are unable to log back in the system, but they can ask the corresponding managers for help.

Regarding your case, I'd suggest the dealer report in the dealer system to get the case number. Alternatively, you can contact our support via  and send the unit to DJI directly. BTW, repair cost might be required if the RC has been out of warranty, please kindly note and understand.

Yes, I told them the same thing, but they insist that they are not able to provide me a case number if it is not in warranty. I think there is an internal issue within DJI. I am getting different response from different parties.

I can understand that there is a repair cost if it is out of warranty. But I cannot accept the fact that they are saying the board is fried due to overcharging of the controller. If this is really the case, I should not be charging and DJI device at all, as it can burn down my house!

Please advise on how I am able to get this back to DJI HQ. I have lost confidence in the local store.
2018-4-11
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

There is no way for a user to overcharge anything DJI.
You should be able to leave the unit on charge forever. When the battery is charged, the charger automatically shuts off. That is how li-ion/li-po chargers work.
If something has burned then there was a fault with something, not caused by leaving it "on charge".
2018-4-11
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

Mavdude Posted at 2018-4-11 00:23
There is no way for a user to overcharge anything DJI.
You should be able to leave the unit on charge forever. When the battery is charged, the charger automatically shuts off. That is how li-ion/li-po chargers work.
If something has burned then there was a fault with something, not caused by leaving it "on charge".

That's what I think too, but DJI is insisting otherwise. They are saying that this is normal, which is baffling.
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-11 00:17
Yes, I told them the same thing, but they insist that they are not able to provide me a case number if it is not in warranty. I think there is an internal issue within DJI. I am getting different response from different parties.

I can understand that there is a repair cost if it is out of warranty. But I cannot accept the fact that they are saying the board is fried due to overcharging of the controller. If this is really the case, I should not be charging and DJI device at all, as it can burn down my house!

May I have the contact info of the Authorized store? I'll report to the designated team to see whether they can help to investigate the exact status and strengthen the management.

Also, please kindly offer your personal info, we'll forward to the right team to see whether there are better suggestions or solutions.
2018-4-11
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-11 02:37
May I have the contact info of the Authorized store? I'll report to the designated team to see whether they can help to investigate the exact status and strengthen the management.

Also, please kindly offer your personal info, we'll forward to the right team to see whether there are better suggestions or solutions.

I will PM you
2018-4-11
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-11 02:37

Hello Susan,

Any updates on the issue? I have not received a response from Support as well. I am flying to China on 27 April. I hope to get an update soon!
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-11 20:07
Hello Susan,

Any updates on the issue? I have not received a response from Support as well. I am flying to China on 27 April. I hope to get an update soon!

Sorry that Susan is not available at this time, we have received your message, the issue will be escalated to the relative team to look into, we will also keep you updated, appreciate your patience.
2018-4-12
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-12 06:01
Sorry that Susan is not available at this time, we have received your message, the issue will be escalated to the relative team to look into, we will also keep you updated, appreciate your patience.

Thank you for the response. Any idea on when I can get an update? Support is asking me to send the controller in, but it is with the Authorized Store already.
2018-4-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-12 08:22
Thank you for the response. Any idea on when I can get an update? Support is asking me to send the controller in, but it is with the Authorized Store already.

The team is following up your case, we will have someone to contact you about the next step, we will also keep an eye on it, thanks for your patience.
2018-4-12
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-12 20:30
The team is following up your case, we will have someone to contact you about the next step, we will also keep an eye on it, thanks for your patience.

Hi Mindy,

This is getting frustrating, and it has been days, with no real progress. I have told the team many times that I acknowledge my Phantom is out of warranty, and they insist on checking my proof of purchase, just to tell me that my Phantom IS OUT OF WARRANTY and to send it in to a shop.

My Controller IS WITH AN AUTHORIZED DJI STORE, and they are telling me that the main board is fried and this is normal, I will need to pay about USD300 to replace the board, and this is because of overcharging.

1. Replacing the board is USD300, a new controller can be bought from the DJI website at USD319. How does this make sense?
2. If the Controller can overcharge, this product is NOT SAFE to be sold, as it can be a fire hazard.
3. If the Controller can overcharge, I WILL raise this to the relevant authorities and get them to recall the product.
4. The Technicians at the Authorized DJI Store are not responding to my calls. They keep telling me that they will return my call but have never done so.

I was very pleased with my purchase and have even recommended my friends to purchase DJI products. As I have said earlier, I am even thinking of getting the Mavic Air for portability. However, my experience with the post sales support has been horrible, and I am going nowhere, with both the online team and the Authorized Store.

Please get this rectified and the details made clear, before I make this issue public, and raise this to the authorities. Thank you.
2018-4-20
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

Also, now I will have to travel without my drone. Such a disappointment.
2018-4-20
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

I also noticed that you have removed my statement of "Bad Customer Service". Hello DJI??!?!? You have modified my statement and this is cheating your customers!
2018-4-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-20 02:10
Hi Mindy,

This is getting frustrating, and it has been days, with no real progress. I have told the team many times that I acknowledge my Phantom is out of warranty, and they insist on checking my proof of purchase, just to tell me that my Phantom IS OUT OF WARRANTY and to send it in to a shop.

Hi Jennyung, our supervisor is keeping following up your case and suggested if you still have concerns regarding the issue, please kindly ask for your dealer’s assistance to send the product back to our HK service center for further assessment.
We understand your frustration, but the RC is in your dealer and we are unable to make a further evaluation. Now the RC is out of warranty and you must be paid for the repair, and I believe your dealer will get it fixed for you.
As for your dealer never calls you back, we will inform the related team to keep communicating with your dealer.
2018-4-20
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

Jennyung, I would just go with the new controller.
At least you will have peace of mind that it is new and has not been assembled by someone who is incompetant as well as 12 months warranty on the controller.
Also, then the problem is resolved.
No matter who you send the controller to for repair, they will want to replace the circuit board.
2018-4-20
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-20 03:19
Hi Jennyung, our supervisor is keeping following up your case and suggested if you still have concerns regarding the issue, please kindly ask for your dealer’s assistance to send the product back to our HK service center for further assessment.
We understand your frustration, but the RC is in your dealer and we are unable to make a further evaluation. Now the RC is out of warranty and you must be paid for the repair, and I believe your dealer will get it fixed for you.
As for your dealer never calls you back, we will inform the related team to keep communicating with your dealer.

Hi Mindy,

I am confused. Now do I send the RC back to Hong Kong, or will the Authorized Store fix it for me?

Again, as I have mentioned previously, I understand and I am willing to pay for the repair of the RC. However, if the problem on the RC is caused by overcharging as stated by the DJI Authorized Store, I will raise this to the authorities.

Kindly advise on how I should proceed.
2018-4-20
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

Mavdude Posted at 2018-4-20 03:28
Jennyung, I would just go with the new controller.
At least you will have peace of mind that it is new and has not been assembled by someone who is incompetant as well as 12 months warranty on the controller.
Also, then the problem is resolved.

Thank you for your reply.

My concern here is neither the warranty nor the money I will have to pay. My concern here is that the Technician say that it is very common for the Controller to overcharge. This should not happen, as this is a serious safety issue as it is a fire hazard.

If it is as common as they say, DJI should issue a recall on their products for the safety of its consumers. I need this to be made clear by DJI.
2018-4-20
Use props
Mavdude
lvl.4
Australia

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-20 03:35
Thank you for your reply.

My concern here is neither the warranty nor the money I will have to pay. My concern here is that the Technician say that it is very common for the Controller to overcharge. This should not happen, as this is a serious safety issue as it is a fire hazard.

I doubt that they have a problem with overcharging, hence my comment about it being assembled by a competant technitian.
It was probably his simple way of saying it's stuffed and he has no idea why, so just tell the customer it's from overcharging. Most people would just accept it and not question it. You are too inquisitive!
2018-4-20
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

Mavdude Posted at 2018-4-20 04:03
I doubt that they have a problem with overcharging, hence my comment about it being assembled by a competant technitian.
It was probably his simple way of saying it's stuffed and he has no idea why, so just tell the customer it's from overcharging. Most people would just accept it and not question it. You are too inquisitive!

Yes, I doubt so as well. Which is why I want to know the exact reason of the problem and avoid it in the future, but they are not responding as they should. I don't want to be forking out $300 every time the controller dies without me knowing why.

And if it does fail all the time, time to move on to another brand. I feel lucky I did not fork out the money to get the Mavic Air when it launched. Now I just feel uncomfortable with the quality of their products, and the incompetence of their after sales service team.
2018-4-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-20 03:29
Hi Mindy,

I am confused. Now do I send the RC back to Hong Kong, or will the Authorized Store fix it for me?

If you still have concerns regarding the issue, please kindly ask for your dealer’s assistance to send the product back to our HK service center for further assessment. If not, please pay to the authorized store directly and they will help to get it fixed. It depends on you.
2018-4-21
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-4-21 02:17
If you still have concerns regarding the issue, please kindly ask for your dealer’s assistance to send the product back to our HK service center for further assessment. If not, please pay to the authorized store directly and they will help to get it fixed. It depends on you.

Very nice after sales service
2018-4-21
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

Dear DJI,

You have made and I am sure will continue making great products. I am a proud owner of a Phantom 4 since July 2016. My Phantom has traveled with me to many places, from the hills and beaches of Australia, to photographing the cityscape and islands of Malaysia and to the blue of the Maldivian sea. I have captured many great memories with it, and have advocated and recommended it to friends who have tested mine and have purchased the same drone. I wish the drone could do more, experience more with me. Unfortunately, this did not last very long.

I started to notice that the Controller was not charging fully (the last LED does not light up when charging) and discharges quickly (I could barely finish 1 flight before the Controller's battery goes flat). I sent it in to a DJI Authorized Store in Petaling Jaya, Malaysia (Sky Inspiration Sdn Bhd Malaysia) on 24 March 2018. I thought it would be a quick battery change and thought nothing of it. I did not hear from them after sending it in. I am travelling to China on 27 April and would love to take the Phantom along on another adventure.

Sensing something amiss, I gave them a call, and was quickly responded to with "All repairs are delayed because our technician is on Emergency Leave". I debated that I have sent it in weeks before, and they said they will check and return my call. 15 minutes later, they did call me back, bearing the very confusing news a "fried" Controller board, and they suspected that I have overcharged the Controller. They quoted me a RM1200 (~USD300) charge to repair. A new Controller can be bought from the Online store for USD319. They also said that this is a normal issue with the Controller.

I posted in the forums seeking for help, and I was asked for a case number from the Authorized Store. The Store explained that they could not create a case, and Support email said otherwise. Emails were sent back and forth, and finally, all Support could do was to tell me that my drone is out of Warranty, which I have told them in the first place, and it was silence from them afterwards. The DJI Forum moderators changed my Thread title (removed my Bad Customer Service! remark from the title) and "ended" the Thread by basically saying I'm on my own (either send the Controller to us for checking or pay the Store to repair it).

This afternoon was the final straw. I took time off and went on a 30 minute drive  to the Store to collect the Controller to sent it to HK on my own as the Store was not answering me on the status of my Controller. They looked everywhere for my Controller, the shelves and the store rooms and could not locate it. The staff there told me, "Your Controller is not here, we can only check it on Wednesday as our Manager is on leave.". I told them I am travelling on Friday, and they told me to check back on Wednesday. I even told them that I have sent it a month before, and in his defense, he told me they had 800 items to repair and it will take a long time to check. They sent me away.

I am no longer a proud owner of a Phantom drone. I have lost faith in the company in supporting its customers. All I wanted to do was to get my drone in the air again. It's been a month, and I am right where I started when I sent my Controller to the shop. I have never said that I did not want to pay for the repairs, all I want is to understand what went wrong and how to care for my drone for it to not happen again. Buying the drone was a big investment, and I would like to keep it flying.

Why am I writing this?

1. If the Controller does overcharge and can "fry" the board and if it is a normal occurrence, a notice should be issued to all Phantom owners to be careful as it may be a fire hazard. Charging a drone controller should not burn my house down.
2. I am not feeling very comfortable if a member of your staff tells me that there are 800 items in queue to be repaired. Are DJI products THAT unreliable?
3. Again, I have mentioned to Support that I understand that my product is out of Warranty, and may need to pay for my repairs, but I would like an accurate diagnose of the issue with my Controller and how to avoid it in the future.

Sincerely,
Jenn Yung
2018-4-23
Use props
jennyung
lvl.1
Malaysia

Again, today the technician called me to tell me that my Controller main board is burnt up but they don't know why and I would need to pay ~USD300 to get it repaired. What is going on DJI?!
2018-4-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jennyung Posted at 2018-4-23 20:16
Again, today the technician called me to tell me that my Controller main board is burnt up but they don't know why and I would need to pay ~USD300 to get it repaired. What is going on DJI?!

Jennyung, the seller should have contacted you about the next resolution, we sincerely apologize again for the unpleasant experience with the seller. For the repair price and the exaggerated explanation, we have reported to the appropriate department for attention, we will keep optimizing and improving the management to the dealers.
Per the dealer, you still would like to send in the RC to DJI official repair center for further evaluation right? If yes, please contact our support to start a ticket and the team will guide you to send in: https://www.dji.com/cn/support?site=brandsite&from=nav

2018-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules