Drifting drone
886 9 2018-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EMTDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247933 ft
United States

...and yet another question...  When I started up my Spark, everything seemed fine.  Just as I manually started to take off, I got a "Calibrate IMU" message, so I powered it down and went into the IMU calibration. It took FOREVER (literally 30 mins).  After everything was updated all of the sensors showed they were fine in the GO app.  When I took off, the spark started to drift backward.  (I had 15 satellites and was not in ATTI mode at THAT time).  I corrected the drift and brought the Spark back to the starting position.  It then said "ATTI" on the screen and took off forward, slamming into a building and then falling to the ground.  When I picked it up there were a few scuffs on the top, but the main issue is that now there is a small chunk taken out of the camera lens.  The damage to the lens does not affect the picture from the camera, but it is still upsetting considering this is the 2nd flight of my refurbished Spark.  Has anyone else had this issue?   
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

In your situation, please send it back for further check and you can apply for data analysis: http://www.dji.com/support Thanks for your support.
2018-4-11
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.3
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-4-11 04:26
In your situation, please send it back for further check and you can apply for data analysis: http://www.dji.com/support Thanks for your support.

Does data analysis cost anything?
2018-4-11
Use props
Jerpie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191211 ft

EMTDad Posted at 2018-4-11 04:28

Ofcourse not ;)

They will analyize what actually happened. If this problem is caused due a DJI problem, then DJI will help you further ;)
2018-4-11
Use props
Outlier22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328474 ft
United States

I only get that calibration message when I turn on or try to launch the drone on or around a large metal object.  ...it messes with the compass and/or IMU and asks to be calibrated.  But instead I move the drone to a clear location with no large metal objects that might cause interference and the calibration message goes away and all is normal.  I suspect that if you re-calibrate with this interference nearby as soon as you take off and clear the interference, the compass or IMU will no longer be correctly calibrated which will impact the drones ability to fly stable.  

The first time I noticed was when I tried to launch the drone off a metal sewer cover to keep the drone out of the snow.  I simply moved the drone away from the metal cover and the error went away,
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

EMTDad Posted at 2018-4-11 04:28

Please do not worry about it. Data analysis service is provided when your drone is under warranty.
2018-4-11
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

This is again normal with SPARK. You simply need to refresh your firmware and then do a calibration of IMU and compass.
2018-4-11
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.3

S.J Posted at 2018-4-11 08:32
This is again normal with SPARK. You simply need to refresh your firmware and then do a calibration of IMU and compass.

I should have mentioned that I am unable to check for a firmware update (atleast not through the app).  When I start the app with my Spark connected, it keeps saying "checking firmware" but nothing happens.  The app will show that in the blue banner for approximately 2 minutes then will just go away.  It won't say it's current or needs updated.  When I go to check the firmware when I'm in the "fly" part of the app, it doesn't show a version or anything... The button is not clickable.  
2018-4-11
Use props
EMTDad
lvl.3
United States

Outlier22 Posted at 2018-4-11 07:07
I only get that calibration message when I turn on or try to launch the drone on or around a large metal object.  ...it messes with the compass and/or IMU and asks to be calibrated.  But instead I move the drone to a clear location with no large metal objects that might cause interference and the calibration message goes away and all is normal.  I suspect that if you re-calibrate with this interference nearby as soon as you take off and clear the interference, the compass or IMU will no longer be correctly calibrated which will impact the drones ability to fly stable.  

The first time I noticed was when I tried to launch the drone off a metal sewer cover to keep the drone out of the snow.  I simply moved the drone away from the metal cover and the error went away,

I was able to fly my Spark on 4/09 for approximately 10 minutes before it became too cold.  It flew (in my opinion rather well as I was able to use the quick shots, active tracking and RTH).  I attempted to fly it in the same exact spot this morning (4/11) and had all of the IMU problems and the crash.  Of course, knowing my luck... there was some sort of interference due to the environment I was in.  Thank you for your input though!!
2018-4-11
Use props
Outlier22
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328474 ft
United States

EMTDad Posted at 2018-4-11 19:58
I was able to fly my Spark on 4/09 for approximately 10 minutes before it became too cold.  It flew (in my opinion rather well as I was able to use the quick shots, active tracking and RTH).  I attempted to fly it in the same exact spot this morning (4/11) and had all of the IMU problems and the crash.  Of course, knowing my luck... there was some sort of interference due to the environment I was in.  Thank you for your input though!!

I guess what I'm saying is you should not have had to recalibrate IMU or compass in the same spot unless something changed - or there is indeed some kind of issue with your Spark.  You flew at the same location, but did you launch from the EXACT same spot?  Was the drone on or around anything metal?

Where did you re-calibrate?   (if it was in or on or near a car or large metal object it might have caused interference.  This would mean you re-calibrated under abnormal conditions which went away once you cleared the object.)

I'm far from tech support though.  I'm just passing on an observation I made when trying to launch my spark from a metal sewer cover (like manhole cover) and again when I placed my spark on my car.
2018-4-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules