772 5 2018-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OrthoDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246342 ft
United States

Hello all!

I’ve had a MP for roughly a month now, and use the drone for monitoring livestock and property in the very hilly and old wood forests of Appalachia.  Unfortunately I’ve now had two substantial crashes with the drone.  In the first case, it dropped too far behind a hill and I lost connection, and rather than undergoing RTH, it decided to visit a nearby dogwood tree and suffered a broken left front arm.  This was easy enough to mend and I was back up in the air within a day.  Then the drone started having issues a few weeks later with its VPS and forward avoidance (actually stopped working without apparent  error codes).  While trying to fix this issue with the Assistant 2 calibration (this was not a fun endeavor) I was testing the drone doing some simple figure 8’s and proceeded to fly it into the trees I “thought” I was above.  I own a drone that cost about $1k (or about a dollar a piece, lol!).

So my question is simple, and I’m sure it’s been asked before - what’s the best way to get this repaired?

I’m sure the crash damage will be attributed to pilot error and not be a warranty covered item (yeah, I own that), but what about this VPS issue?  I’ve been following another owner with an identical VPS and object avoidance issue and it seems that the only recourse is going to be to return his drone for evaluation.  If I return my drone for evaluation and flight damage repair, will DJI just turn around and say the VPS issue relates to the crashes - even though the VPS failure is independent of the cashes time wise?

For me, the real issue is the turn around time, not the cost.  Also, I love fixing things (and you wouldn’t believe some of the things I have fixed in my time)!  

From what I’ve been able to determine, the repair turn around is 4-6 weeks.  Is this accurate?  I am technically proficient enough to do the arm repair, gimbal repair, and find parts, and do all of this much quicker than 4-6 weeks, but I would much rather have the manufacturer do this provided this doesn’t turn into a prolonged  job.  And then the VPS issues still hangs in the unresolved column for now.

Input appreciated,

2018-4-12
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Why have you flagged this post as relating to "Mavic Air"? From what I understand it's about a MP. Nevertheless my recommendation would be to send it to DJI for repair.
2018-4-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

With ongoing problem with VPS, I would send it in for a repair quote.  
Even though you are technically proficient, having right tools and knowing correct steps for calibrating a drone after repairs from crash is of major importance.

Used to work on a computer system that would on occasion require dragging out Oscilloscope to troubleshoot.  Without correct setup steps, O-scope was useless.  Without module documents, setup steps and O-scope were useless.  And lastly, without knowledge that perfectly good signals (1s and Os) were anything but square wave in appearance, all aforementioned was useless.
2018-4-12
Use props
OrthoDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 246342 ft
United States

Not sure where the Mavic Pro forums are, sorry for flagging it wrong.

To my main question, is the reported 4-6 week turn around correct?

Thanks again for your responses!
2018-4-12
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

To my main question, is the reported 4-6 week turn around correct?

Sounds about right based on other people's posts.  
Any chance you have DJI Care (or refresh) which bumps you service priority up?

What burns up quite a bit of turn around time is shipping to DJI and shipping back to you.  Almost a week each direction or nearly two weeks total.
2018-4-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Ortho, sorry for the troubles you are experiencing, when the drone is crashed, we do not recommend to repair on your own since the improper repair may cause further issue and it may not be covered by warranty, please send in the drone for a thorough evaluation.
The repair timeframe has been much improved and it usually takes 5-7 business days excluding shipping and delivery time, if you would like data analysis, the timeframe will be extended, please start a ticket in our website and send in for further assistance: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2018-4-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules