543 10 2018-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_QMbukLIcA9Jw
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52664 ft
Australia

Hey all,

Thought I would finally contribute instead of merely lurking!

This is my first video with the spark and first time video editing. I tried to use manual setttings for ISO and Shutter but I didn't watch the histogram and ended up under or over exposing most of the shots. All in all I think it turned out alright, but I learned alot from the process and thought I would share for any other newbies. Also interested in feedback from people.

Key learnings:
  • Check the histogram and make sure you aren't clipping highs or lows - no amount of editing can fix that.
  • try and aim for a shutter speed of around 1/60 and ISO of less than 400 (ideally 100) - these were my best shots.
  • set the gymbal speed to low and use tripod mode...i cut a large amount of jerky footage
  • Davinci is learnable as a newbie, super powerful and free - watch plenty of youtube
  • Colour correction is part art and part science...I am no good at either :-P

A long way to go yet, but hope this is helpful and would appreciate any feedback.

2018-4-12
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Great video, nice work! Thanks for posting!
2018-4-12
Use props
The Bash's
lvl.4

United States

I'm a newbie myself and I appreciate you letting us learn from your travels.  The video was good but, I do see some of the things you mentioned that you need to work on.  I took over an hour of video and cut my first clip down to 1:40... It was hard to choose what stayed and what went.  
2018-4-12
Use props
dj_dread
First Officer
Flight distance : 648399 ft
Romania

but still, a nice video!
2018-4-13
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Excellent start. As someone who is also just beginning, I'd say you've learned a lot already.

One thing that took me out of the experience was ending reveal shots before they're revealed. I want to see the sunset beyond the tree instead of cutting immediately to another shot. Personal preference, maybe, because I see it quite often, so your mileage might vary. Other than that, nice shots and flying.
2018-4-13
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I think you made a great start!
And learning all the time
2018-4-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Nice video and a great start, thanks for sharing, looking forward to seeing more videos from you.
2018-4-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great vid! Keep it up!
2018-4-14
Use props
djiuser_QMbukLIcA9Jw
lvl.2
Flight distance : 52664 ft
Australia

Big thank you to everyone for the responses, inputs and encouragement!
2018-4-15
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

My suggestion, longer clip duration, and dont be afraid to simply hover, even if its just for the branches swaying in the scene, you don't need to have constant aircraft motion (thats the beauty of copters over fixed wing aircraft).  Lovely subject matter... well done.
2018-4-16
Use props
CharlieZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing!
2019-1-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules