Mavic Air, bent controller pins & Care Refresh?
2102 8 2018-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
peejayk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193264 ft
United Kingdom

I've just discovered that I've bent the pins in my controller despite only ever using DJI's own cable to charge it, probably no more than 10 times or so. Really poor choice of port/cable combo knowing what micro-usb options are available. Surely just using a USB-c port could't have added /that/ much %age to the overall build-price :-/

I don't suppose this issue is covered by DJI Care refresh by any chance? Looking at previous posts for simliar issue with Spark owners, if I have to pay £100 I might as well just buy a new controller & get this one repaired in slow-time when I find someone that can do it but I don't see any replacement controllers advertised anywhere at all?

(If anyone has a recommendation for someone UK-based to do a repair I'd be interested).
2018-4-14
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I agree, combining both host and slave port in one Micro-USB port is a huge design flaw ending up in a fragile connection.
If I recall correctly, the remote is also covered within Care Refresh, but it will most probably cost you money and will cost you the 1st out of 2 refresh opportunity's.
Maybe you could get a quote from DJI to get it fixed, its a common issue so they can probably give you a quote of the costs without sending it in first.
Another option is to take it to a local electronics workshop to solder a new port onto the remote.

Thunderdrones (USA based) sells Mavic Air remotes, see this topic.
2018-4-14
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

New Mavic Air remote controllers can also be found on eBay.
2018-4-14
Use props
peejayk
lvl.2
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-4-14 02:56
I agree, combining both host and slave port in one Micro-USB port is a huge design flaw ending up in a fragile connection.
If I recall correctly, the remote is also covered within Care Refresh, but it will most probably cost you money and will cost you the 1st out of 2 refresh opportunity's.
Maybe you could get a quote from DJI to get it fixed, its a common issue so they can probably give you a quote of the costs without sending it in first.

Thanks, good call pointing out the consumption of a refresh cycle, a bit of a dilemma as you could get to the end of it having never claimed after all! Always a pain with insurance... we pay for it then often don't/can't actually make use of it :-/
2018-4-14
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. You are recommended to contact our support to start a case number and send it in for repair: https://www.dji.com/support. Thanks!
2018-4-15
Use props
peejayk
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Well, I couldn't find any stores in UK able to sell me a replacement controller (don't want to trust eBay on this one) nor did the UK repair centre have any parts etc. so as of today its winging its way to Europe via UPS so will report back with results/costs etc.

Still agreeing with the suggestion above that using up one of my care refresh "lives" on the controller isn't particularly cost-effective so hopefully I'll have some options once they get hands-on...
2018-4-23
Use props
peejayk
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Just had my repair quote come through: 6.61 EU for parts (Button Board) and 50 EU labour so 68.50 EU all-in for some reason.

Not covered (or offered) under care refresh which, to be honest, suits me so could have been worse.

Hopefully this proves useful to anyone else unfortunate to have the same issue...
2018-4-25
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft
Netherlands

I read it was a big job to repair.
2018-4-25
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't get why DJI didn't include the square shaped (OTG) micro usb cable with the controller for charging instead of the micro usb with the corners cut off.
Sure, it fits, but if you put it in upside down you can kiss goodbye to that port, it knackers the pins up.Or even better if they used USB C!
2018-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules