Mavic Pro Compass Magnetic Interference (camera pointing down)
4209 28 2018-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kevin36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 356476 ft
South Africa

Dear DJI, I had a Mavic Pro which I bought in November 2017. It behaved great, albeit that I did on 2 occasions experience a random disconnect between the radio control and the drone but after a remote control restart I regained full control and there was no incident. I also had random crashes with the DJI Go app but am glad to say with the latest update it has not crashed again. Unfortunately I had a run in with a Black Eagle and it attacked my drone and it crashed.

So on Monday, 9 April I bought another Mavic Pro.

While flying the new Mavic Pro I occasionally received a “Magnetic Interference” warning and it would affect the compass. I immediately landed and calibrated the compass, it calibrated first time every time. Then I would fly in a different area and all of a sudden I would get the warning again. This continued despite several successful calibrations. All firmware is up to date. I decided to leave it and try at work in an open field away from any metal objects. Note that I have flown my previous Mavic Pro in these same areas many times and never received a Magnetic Interference warning.

So on Friday 13 April I flew at work, in a big open field. I calibrated the compass successfully. I flew about 15 minutes without any issues whatsoever then it gave the same warning. I realized that I had just turned the camera to face downwards. I realized that this is what I was doing yesterday at home as well. I turned the camera up and the warning disappeared, I repeated this several times, with the same results.

My local DJI shop exchanged my Mavic Pro with a brand new model out of a sealed box, I took it home and experienced the exact same results. Every time the compass calibrated successfully but then when flying and I point the camera down I got a Magnetic Interference warning.

Naturally this is risky to fly while experiencing a compass warning so I landed and have not flown since. I am thus unable to fly until this issue has been resolved.

Attached are some screenshots showing the Warning Messages.

Kevin

Screenshot_20180412-183012.jpg
Screenshot_20180413-115035.jpg
Screenshot_20180413-115059.jpg
Screenshot_20180413-115204.jpg
Screenshot_20180413-155417.jpg
Screenshot_20180413-155534.jpg
Screenshot_20180413-155818.jpg
2018-4-16
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

This topic has been discussed a few days ago in this thread which might help you: https://forum.dji.com/thread-92499-1-5.html
2018-4-16
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft

As Wachtberger mentioned, we are discussing this topic in the provided thread. The same is happening to me. Weirdly enough not to everyone. Have you also tried to recalibrate the IMU and the gimbal itself? I yet have to do this and see how it goes.

For me, I am only getting the compass error when I have the Gimbal stay at the 45-degree angle. When I trigger the movement of the gimbal from its original point right down to 90 degrees, the error does not appear, it seems that the interference is too short there.

We have yet to find a solution but I read somewhere that with a degaussing tool the issue can be solved? (I doubt that though).
2018-4-16
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-4-16 03:37
This topic has been discussed a few days ago in this thread which might help you: https://forum.dji.com/thread-92499-1-5.html

Hi Wachtberger, yup I am aware of that thread, I also commented on it. I wanted to start a new thread with a more specific and detailed subject description and more recent as there has been no resolution or feedback from DJI on that thread since last year. I have also logged a Support case with DJI and they are currently investigating. Hopefully there is a fix announced soon as you may be aware flying with compass errors is highly advised against. If anyone also has this issue please comment here. The more people DJI are aware of that has this issue the better to get the issue resolved.
2018-4-16
Use props
Marian
lvl.4

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-4-16 04:00
Hi Wachtberger, yup I am aware of that thread, I also commented on it. I wanted to start a new thread with a more specific and detailed subject description and more recent as there has been no resolution or feedback from DJI on that thread since last year. I have also logged a Support case with DJI and they are currently investigating. Hopefully there is a fix announced soon as you may be aware flying with compass errors is highly advised against. If anyone also has this issue please comment here. The more people DJI are aware of that has this issue the better to get the issue resolved.

A poll might have been helpful to have clear numbers.

Did you try to recalibrate the IMU and the gimbal? As said I've read around throughout a few forums and posts and for some that has solved the issue.
2018-4-16
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Marian Posted at 2018-4-16 04:10
A poll might have been helpful to have clear numbers.

Did you try to recalibrate the IMU and the gimbal? As said I've read around throughout a few forums and posts and for some that has solved the issue.

No, I did not try calibrate the IMU. I did also read that others tried this but it has made no difference to the issue of when the gimbal is facing downwards it causes the Magnetic Interference in the Compass. Unfortunately both my replacement Mavic Pros are now at the DJI shop so I cannot test this.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-4-16 04:30
No, I did not try calibrate the IMU. I did also read that others tried this but it has made no difference to the issue of when the gimbal is facing downwards it causes the Magnetic Interference in the Compass. Unfortunately both my replacement Mavic Pros are now at the DJI shop so I cannot test this.

I have had a similar issue with that. What i did has a work around is that if you look at the gimble L bracket it has a small space under it( not advised but i tried it) I cut a small piece of sponge and using a tooth pick i carefully pushed it under there and tested. Every time I moved my gimble down never got the compass 2 going to red after that. I saw this on a You tube vid once and decided to try it has I was suffering from the same issue. My drone is gone to Drone world to replace the Gimble though because have been having Jello issues since I got it.
2018-4-16
Use props
Marian
lvl.4

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 08:55
I have had a similar issue with that. What i did has a work around is that if you look at the gimble L bracket it has a small space under it( not advised but i tried it) I cut a small piece of sponge and using a tooth pick i carefully pushed it under there and tested. Every time I moved my gimble down never got the compass 2 going to red after that. I saw this on a You tube vid once and decided to try it has I was suffering from the same issue. My drone is gone to Drone world to replace the Gimble though because have been having Jello issues since I got it.

Hi Suren,

That seems like an odd yet interesting workaround. Would you still have the YouTube link somewhere? I am curious about it.

Thank you.
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Marian Posted at 2018-4-16 09:40
Hi Suren,

That seems like an odd yet interesting workaround. Would you still have the YouTube link somewhere? I am curious about it.

Will give it a search and post it here when I find it.
2018-4-16
Use props
Marian
lvl.4

After doing an IMU calibration as well as a gimbal calibration I was able to bring the interference down from the red into the yellow. So no more compass error warning at least. Yet I still would try Suren's suggestion to see if that further reduces the issue.
2018-4-16
Use props
Marian
lvl.4

Suren Posted at 2018-4-16 09:42
Will give it a search and post it here when I find it.

Thank you Suren.

In case you don't find the video, I was just having a look at the gimbal layout. Did you put the sponge right underneath the L bracket which means between L bracket and the gimbal plate or did you actually put it under the plate where the gimbal is attached to?
2018-4-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Marian Posted at 2018-4-16 12:07
Thank you Suren.

In case you don't find the video, I was just having a look at the gimbal layout. Did you put the sponge right underneath the L bracket which means between L bracket and the gimbal plate or did you actually put it under the plate where the gimbal is attached to?

Between the vibration plate and L bracket
2018-4-16
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

I have uploaded a video showing this magnetic interference with the compass. I have given DJI Support this link as well. Hopefully this is resolved soon
2018-4-17
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-4-17 07:14
I have uploaded a video showing this magnetic interference with the compass. I have given DJI Support this link as well. Hopefully this is resolved soon
YouTube Video

Is the Go4 app asking you to calibrate the compass because when you went to sensor state on app it did not show any error. Also when you are trying to calibrate do you have any metal objects or a watch etc on you. Remove all those and try again. If that does not work plug your AC into a PC and refresh the firmware, restart, do an imu calibrate and try compass calibrate again. You only do a compass calibrate when asked to by the App else leave it Alone.
2018-4-17
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Hi Suren. I don't get Compass warnings when powering up, what happens is when I fly I get the warnings when the camera is pointed down. I then try and recalibrate the compass and IMU to try eliminate that. This is when I have difficulty calibrating the compass. No jewelry no watch. I did not have difficulty calibrating the compass or experienced these magnetic interference warnings on my previous MP. And I flew it in the same places.
2018-4-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-4-17 11:46
Hi Suren. I don't get Compass warnings when powering up, what happens is when I fly I get the warnings when the camera is pointed down. I then try and recalibrate the compass and IMU to try eliminate that. This is when I have difficulty calibrating the compass. No jewelry no watch. I did not have difficulty calibrating the compass or experienced these magnetic interference warnings on my previous MP. And I flew it in the same places.

An IMU calibration will have no bearing on the compass at all. I assume that the legs are unfolded when you check readings and do the compass calibration ?

Under normal circumstances the compass only needs calibration when prompted by system.

The RC can also be left at a distance when doing the compass calibration. The rear status LED can give indication of when to change aircraft orientation to downward position and when calibration completed.

I see a slight variation in my compass interference reading when tilting camera to downward position, but nothing drastic.
2018-4-17
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-17 14:40
An IMU calibration will have no bearing on the compass at all. I assume that the legs are unfolded when you check readings and do the compass calibration ?

Under normal circumstances the compass only needs calibration when prompted by system.

Here is some context, DJI Support responded as per below;

Dear Kevin,
Thank you for contacting DJI.
We are so sorry to hear what happened to your unit. We do understand how you feel and for the inconvenience you are experiencing right now.
With regarding this issue, let us attempt to fix this by following the steps below:
• Please ensure that your firmware us updated, perform a firmware update if prompted by the app.
• Please check the antenna position of your RC.
• Please Re-link your Aircraft and RC.
• Please calibrate your aircraft's system sensors agian(IMU and Compass)
• Please attempt to fly the aircraft on a different location free from interference (ie trees, buildings, power grids, airports, communication towers, metallic structures and facilities that emit electromagnetic waves).
Kindly send us a feedback if the process above is a success or send us a screenshot if the issue is still present.
Thank you,
You will receive an email survey two days after this email if not responded. If you happen to be away and won’t be able to answer this email timely, please disregard the survey and reply to us directly.
Best Regards,
DJI Technical Support

So I did as they asked, I checked all firmware was updated, I ensured the antennas were at 45degrees, I relinked AC and RC, I recalibrated the IMU and Compass (or at least I tried) and I tried a different location.

Yes legs are folded with a IMU calibration and unfolded with a Compass calibration. The RC is on the ground while I do the calibration dance. My first MP did not display any of this, so this is something new with both of these models.

2018-4-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-4-17 22:22
Here is some context, DJI Support responded as per below;

Dear Kevin,

I wonder if it's firmware related at all (using different parameters perhaps highlighting slight hardware differences), or a bad batch of Mavics.

Is all firmware and application at latest versions ?

If you think it is faulty then best thing would be to return it for a refund, and purchase from another outlet.
2018-4-17
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-17 23:46
I wonder if it's firmware related at all (using different parameters perhaps highlighting slight hardware differences), or a bad batch of Mavics.

Is all firmware and application at latest versions ?

It may be software? Maybe a tolerance tweak on compass sensitivity? But DJI need to first acknowledge there is a problem. It may be a bad batch, odd that DJI have not asked for the serial number and started a survey of sorts to try figure this out? All firmware and App is up to date.
2018-4-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-4-18 00:20
It may be software? Maybe a tolerance tweak on compass sensitivity? But DJI need to first acknowledge there is a problem. It may be a bad batch, odd that DJI have not asked for the serial number and started a survey of sorts to try figure this out? All firmware and App is up to date.

I would be asking my retailer for a refund if that's still an option, or a proven replacement.

The only way DJI are going to know what the cause is would be through detailed flight records or testing the unit itself.
2018-4-18
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-18 00:34
I would be asking my retailer for a refund if that's still an option, or a proven replacement.

The only way DJI are going to know what the cause is would be through detailed flight records or testing the unit itself.

My unit, in fact both of them have been returned to the retailer. They have opened a case with DJI. They have thus access to the flight records. I would prefer a working unit as a replacement before I request a refund.
2018-4-18
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

I received a reply from DJI Support, albeit not very helpful

Lucia Li (Support)
Apr 19, 21:08 CST
Dear Kevin,
Thank you for your update.
We do apologize for the delayed response to your email.
If the issue still persist after troubleshooting, we are not recommend you to fight your drone. We kindly advise you send it for checking and service.
Seeing you are from South Africa, to make the case more easier, we suggest you send the unit to the nearest repair center.
*repair center details removed*
Any new progress or any further assistance you need, please let us know.  We will do our best to assist you.
Thank you, and have a great day!
Best Regards,
Lucia
DJI Technical Support
2018-4-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Kevin, that must've been a frustrating experience. However, since you mentioned that you had done the troubleshooting and the compass error appears when you adjust the gimbal tilt, I don't suggest still flying the drone. Please kindly contact the dealer or send the drone in for diagnose.
2018-4-20
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-4-20 02:01
Kevin, that must've been a frustrating experience. However, since you mentioned that you had done the troubleshooting and the compass error appears when you adjust the gimbal tilt, I don't suggest still flying the drone. Please kindly contact the dealer or send the drone in for diagnose.

Hi DJI Thor
DJI Support have responded and they will replace my Mavic Pro (again). I will revert with an update after I have collected it later today and flown some.
2018-4-20
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1688973 ft
Mexico

This is also my 2nd Mavic,  the 1st one worked perfectly.  My new  one has  this exact problem and have many similar screen shots.  Yesterday I confirmed that it is indeed the gimbal movement.  Thank you for postting those screen shots.  I was planning to put an email together with the fotos to send to DJI.
2018-8-11
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

Thank you for posting and narrowing down the problem.   I have tried all solutions suggested so far... without success.   Seems like DJI is not going to be helpful or replace my 4 month old Mavic.
2018-8-11
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

Kevin36 Posted at 2018-4-17 07:14
YouTube Video

Thank you.  You perfectly presented the problem and saved me the cost of buying an IPad.  (currently use a Samsung Note that worked beautifully on my 1st Mavic.  We wait for DJI to solve this or send a recall for certain
2018-8-11
Use props
Kevin36
lvl.2
South Africa

Dronin Posted at 2018-8-11 10:11
Thank you.  You perfectly presented the problem and saved me the cost of buying an IPad.  (currently use a Samsung Note that worked beautifully on my 1st Mavic.  We wait for DJI to solve this or send a recall for certain

Hi Dronin. DJI have not and most likely will not do a recall. They did however replace my Mavic Pro with a Mavic Pro Platinum. This had no issues. I suggest you open a support call with them, as should anyone else with this same issue.
2018-8-12
Use props
famitofu1
lvl.1

Vietnam

Remember to play it everyday to laugh more basketball games
2018-8-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules