Is super slow flight possible?
4419 27 2018-4-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CemAygun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 810 ft
Turkey

First of all, hello to everyone, as this is my fisrt post here.

I am a nature videographer with the recently acquired Mavic Air being my first drone. So please bear with me.

I would like to know if it is possible to fly the drone at a snail's phase. I mean something like ascending 20 meters in 10 minutes or moving 5 meters in one direction in 6-8 minutes.

Preferably this has to be done free of the controller, to prevent humar error. like giving the command and letting it do it's thing instead of holding the stick at a certain postiton for that duration.

I want this for my hyperlapses. Basically I am trying to use the drone like a dolly.

I am also open to 3rd part software if it cannot be done with the DJI one.

Thank you in advance for any replies,

Cheers,

2018-4-18
Use props
Bokepacha
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149265 ft
Netherlands

i am pretty new too, but I remember there's one option to let the drone move at a constant pace moving forward (set in km/s afaik). Soamye too fast for your request, but dunno if someone has tried that option at 1km/h
2018-4-18
Use props
hamstergraphics
lvl.3
Flight distance : 992736 ft
Canada

In app I believe tap-Fly would be your best option.  It can go pretty slow.    I think 1 m/s is the slowest, but not too sure.  (It may be 1 km/h)

I did a quick test here.

2018-4-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Try tripod mode, it’s pretty slow but very steady.
2018-4-18
Use props
hamstergraphics
lvl.3
Flight distance : 992736 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-18 04:21
Try tripod mode, it’s pretty slow but very steady.

You have to be in control with the controller in Tripod mode, no?
2018-4-18
Use props
Hestia
lvl.4
Flight distance : 135381 ft
Italy

hamstergraphics Posted at 2018-4-18 04:22

Yes, Tripod mode will only slow down movements.

About the main question: I think tap-fly with slowest speed might do the trick. Or waypoints maybe? Litchi just released the first beta with Air waypoints
2018-4-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

hamstergraphics Posted at 2018-4-18 04:22

Yes for Mavic Air , dji have just released SDK for MavAir so we should see some apps offering automated flying , like Litchi app which may be what your looking for.
2018-4-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Thanks again and again for the swift replies. I will try the tapfly mode as soon as possible (we have quite a bit of wind today, I will probably wait for tomorrow).
2018-4-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Thanks again and again for all the swift replies. I will try the tapfly mode as soon as possible (we have quite a bit of wind today, I will probably wait until tomorrow). I just did the math by the way, the speeds I am asking for are about .01m/s (or  .036km/h) so I think tapfly at the lowest setting will still be too fast for my needs. I will also check the litchi app.
2018-4-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

By the way I use and love the tripod mode, but I am looking for something controller/human(especially me)/error free
2018-4-18
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 2018-4-18 04:44
By the way I use and love the tripod mode, but I am looking for something controller/human(especially me)/error free

Have a look at your expo settings, you can change the curve to make it less responsive and thus not move a quickly, not exactly what you're after but a good halfway house.

2018-4-18
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tripod mode and be gentle on the sticks with it for the slowest movement
2018-4-18
Use props
chiplifter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 745180 ft
Netherlands

Welcome to the forum. My guess is to buy litchy and program you flight using waypoints. At each path you can set speed, and at waypoints you can set camera direction. On a pc or mac or tablet you can program your flight. Go to the litchy site and create an account for free. You can decide if it fills your needs. For flying the mission, you need to buy the app (android/ios) I don't know if it is available for Mavic air yet, but certainly will be in the near future.
2018-4-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

chiplifter Posted at 2018-4-18 06:11
Welcome to the forum. My guess is to buy litchy and program you flight using waypoints. At each path you can set speed, and at waypoints you can set camera direction. On a pc or mac or tablet you can program your flight. Go to the litchy site and create an account for free. You can decide if it fills your needs. For flying the mission, you need to buy the app (android/ios) I don't know if it is available for Mavic air yet, but certainly will be in the near future.

That sounds like what I need, thank you. I will look into it.

I was just curious if it is ever possible to get down to such slow speeds, and maintain a flight that is reasonably stable, at least on the camera (with gimbal compensating for the hiccups) .

I will also let everyone know once I have the chance to try
2018-4-18
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the controller and a steady hand, yes.
2018-4-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Turkey

Ridg Posted at 2018-4-18 05:18
Have a look at your expo settings, you can change the curve to make it less responsive and thus not move a quickly, not exactly what you're after but a good halfway house.

Ah, I have seen this, but thanks anyway. I tried some of the settings here, but being so new (and ignorant I have to add) in the craft, they did not do me much good. I mean it was hard for me to go where I wanted with such nonlinear curves. I am sure as I gain experience I will also learn to appreciate this advice

PS: As embarrassed as I am to admit, Mode 3 controls really got me flying properly. I know it is frowned upon; but it basically is a console FPS game setup. I just felt at home and started doing "figure 8"s in no time (thanks to my wasted youth).  

PS2: Sorry for the double post, don't know how I managed that...
2018-4-18
Use props
UAVTom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1236778 ft
  • >>>
United States

With the controller and a steady hand, it possible.  You can also look at recording @ 120fps which will further exaggerate  the slow fight.
2018-4-18
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

CemAygun Posted at 2018-4-18 04:44

Are you andriod, or IOS? If you are android download Litchi, It is a powerful app that will give you what you are looking for. If you Are IOS (apple) then download Autopilot another powerful app, from the app store. I use autopilot on an Ipad air2 and it is incredible, I own litchi too but never use it. I prefer the IOS and autopilot. Very smooth and glitch free. Give them a look on youtube.
2018-4-18
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

You need come old fashion TRIM controls !
2018-4-18
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

CemAygun Posted at 2018-4-18 06:34
That sounds like what I need, thank you. I will look into it.

I was just curious if it is ever possible to get down to such slow speeds, and maintain a flight that is reasonably stable, at least on the camera (with gimbal compensating for the hiccups) .

Just looked inside Litchi and it is down to 400 meters/h.
2018-4-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Germany

G_Sig Posted at 2018-4-18 11:52
Just looked inside Litchi and it is down to 400 meters/h.
[view_image]

Thanks for the info. Although 400m/h is quite good, it still is much faster than what I was after (that would cover 66 meters in 10 minutes).

Maybe that is as slow as the drone can fly, or maybe nobody needed that slow of a flight so they did not implement.

One way or another I will get litchi, and see what happens

PS: I only own android devices, no iOS ones; so I will have to go for litchi...
2018-4-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi CemAygun, congrats and welcome to join the forum, hope you have a good time on flying the drone.
2018-4-18
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Romania

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-18 19:03
Hi CemAygun, congrats and welcome to join the forum, hope you have a good time on flying the drone.

Thanks a lot; and I have to say I am already glad to be a part of this highly welcoming community
2018-4-18
Use props
HoosierT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 93219 ft
United States

CemAygun Posted at 2018-4-18 06:51
Ah, I have seen this, but thanks anyway. I tried some of the settings here, but being so new (and ignorant I have to add) in the craft, they did not do me much good. I mean it was hard for me to go where I wanted with such nonlinear curves. I am sure as I gain experience I will also learn to appreciate this advice

PS: As embarrassed as I am to admit, Mode 3 controls really got me flying properly. I know it is frowned upon; but it basically is a console FPS game setup. I just felt at home and started doing "figure 8"s in no time (thanks to my wasted youth).  

First post as I just got my drone last week. I wondered if it was frowned upon but mode 3 is also what works well for me so I'm sticking with it.
2018-5-1
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

"moving 5 meters in one direction in 6-8 minutes"
2018-5-1
Use props
SeanGalbraith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 891404 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Would recording at 120fps, and then slowing it down work?
2018-5-1
Use props
CemAygun
Second Officer
Germany

SeanGalbraith Posted at 2018-5-1 17:38
Would recording at 120fps, and then slowing it down work?

Unfortunately no, because the only reason I am after this is to shoot a hyperlapse (time lapse with moving camera). So high fps / slow motion defies the purpose.

Normally a motorized camera dolly is used for this, but I was curious  if it would also be attainable with the drone.

Anyways, current speeds are also quite usable if you are far away enough from your subjects.  
2018-5-1
Use props
JerryXu
New

United Kingdom

CemAygun Posted at 2018-5-1 18:26
Unfortunately no, because the only reason I am after this is to shoot a hyperlapse (time lapse with moving camera). So high fps / slow motion defies the purpose.

Normally a motorized camera dolly is used for this, but I was curious  if it would also be attainable with the drone.

Hi CemAygun, have you already solved the ultra-low speed flight issue?
2023-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules