2264 17 2018-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seanmul89 7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20344 ft
Ireland

Hi all,
Séan here from Ireland, owner Of a mavic pro, had quite a few drones mainly for hobby and I like gadgets but anyway, I didn’t like to come here to put up a thread about something wrong, more of a concern now since I only have a brand new Mavic 3 days, today was my only chance to fly it, irish weather of course.
But I’ve noticed now starting to drift, flying straight on at height it will start going to the left but the nose is slightly pointed right it will be way off after a couple of 100 meters, it’s like crabbing. When I stop it even the brake seems to be quite intense it will shift position and start moving slightly in circular shape still pointing to the front if you get me.
I’ve tried all calibration, sticks, imu, compass. Still the same. This is very calm day with no wind, even the picture on the screen you can see it fairly drifting off track. To aim at a point I have to keep adjusting yaw with stick. I’m not sure now what to do.
Thanks, hopefully it’s not anything serious,  last thing I want is to send it away :/
2018-4-19
Use props
maurom82
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143757 ft
Italy

it's very strange..I think that if  you recalibrate also yaw and check if it is at zero, so the problem is of manufacturing. so I think you should return it to DJI for replace.
2018-4-19
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

Is it from local store or from Dji online?
Best would bee to take it back to the store and get a new one.
If you send it to Dji for repair you could get used unit which someone has returned and has been fixed.
2018-4-19
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Russia

Noticed very similar behaviour with my Air too. Also noticed that when going in one direction it yaws very slightly to the right, then, on the way back in the opposite direction it yaws as slightly to the left or vice versa (all relative to the craft). Calibrated everything as well. Sometimes I don't see this behaviour, sometimes it is obvious. I don't think there is something wrong with the hardware, maybe a software issue.  Thought it was due to the wind though.
2018-4-19
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. May I confirm that did you your drone crash before or not? If not, could you please provide a video to show us the problem if applicable, we'll look into it. If there is a need to send it back for a full diagnosis, please feel free to contact our support and start a case number: https://www.dji.com/support. Thanks!
2018-4-19
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2103150 ft

This is a known problem with the Mavic Pro, one which DJI has not addressed in well over a year.

I went through FIVE replacement Mavic Pro aircraft, direct from DJI, trying to get one which didn't drift. The fifth replacement drifts less than the others, but still drifts very noticably. The worst one, would drift 200 yards for every 300 yards forward. Eventually, DJI said the during was normal! Those whose aircraft does not fit, should return it, as it is defective... Accusing to DJI!

See my thread here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-124081-1-1.html

See the thread that's been going on for over a year here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-85732-1-1.html
2018-4-19
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

DJI Diana Posted at 2018-4-19 22:35
Hi there, I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. May I confirm that did you your drone crash before or not? If not, could you please provide a video to show us the problem if applicable, we'll look into it. If there is a need to send it back for a full diagnosis, please feel free to contact our support and start a case number: https://www.dji.com/support. Thanks!

When will DJI admit this is a serious problem and do something about it?

Sending new aircraft back to DJI, just to have some random part replaced, and then get sent someone else's drone in exchange, is completely unacceptable.
https://forum.dji.com/thread-124081-1-1.html
https://forum.dji.com/thread-85732-1-1.html

2018-4-19
Use props
Seanmul89 7
lvl.1
Ireland

Hi all, thanks for replies, so i went to fly again today in next to zero wind, doing the same, about 200metres away "compass error" i get, aircraft disconnected, again when i go full throttle forward and release to brake, it goes wild, it drifts away like in atti mode until it gets the position correct and it will stay still, while hovering its slightly turning to the right, it will keep turning ever so slowly.

Going froward and back its like this, when i go side to side it doesn't do anything crazy like back/forward.

I purchased from a retailer not DJi directly, so I could return it to them and replace it, they will go through dji themselves i assume.
2018-4-20
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Today was the first calibration out of the box and these problems insisted? If you tried everything, then how many times did you fly it out of the box? It sounds like you need to do more troubleshooting steps, and flying only a few flights is not enough time to circumvent the problem?
2018-4-20
Use props
Seanmul89 7
lvl.1
Ireland

When purchased I followed the necessary steps to activate and fly etc, it’s been doing it since, calibrated everything again still does it, it seems to get worse and keep getting compass error and disconnect, last thing I want if the drone is in flight, it might not return to home if compass ain’t right!
2018-4-20
Use props
Jyunte
Second Officer

Seanmul89 7 Posted at 2018-4-20 23:25
When purchased I followed the necessary steps to activate and fly etc, it’s been doing it since, calibrated everything again still does it, it seems to get worse and keep getting compass error and disconnect, last thing I want if the drone is in flight, it might not return to home if compass ain’t right!

Don't waste your time with it.
Return it to the store and get a new replacement. Get one you're happy with, and be thankful you didn't buy it directly from DJI or you'd be stuck in refurbished aircraft hell (see the threads I linked to, above)!
2018-4-21
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Calibrate the IMU and see if that fixes the issue, I had the same issue, calibrated and now no issues.
2018-4-21
Use props
Seanmul89 7
lvl.1
Ireland

Think I’ll bring it back, I can’t enjoy it like previous drones, it’s severely wrong what it’s doing, easy to tell something ain’t right! I’ve calibrated IMU and the rest, went an open area nothing around and it wouldn’t connect to the app, when it did I couldn’t calibrate because magnetic interference kept appearing also, this was second or third time I tried, in flight compass error would keep showing and exit GPs mode !
2018-4-21
Use props
Seanmul89 7
lvl.1
Ireland

Update, i returned to the store and got a refund. I tried to fly it once more and give it a chance after doing another calibration IMU, compass etc, got the good to go, gps, everything normal, flying anyway, 60metres from my position, Gps error, weak signal, compass error, exit gps mode, lots appeared on the screen, luckily I had my screen recorder on my phone, so i showed them in store the errors i was getting, wasn't flying straight, was turning to the right by itself when hovering, that was a disaster waiting to happen, it could have had a fly away so i made the right choice. It still won't turn me off buying another one, im just waiting a while.
I purchased a drone and when opened out of the box the antenna was broke on the remote, returned it and got a replacement which is this drone above lol, not much luck. So im waiting for a while thanks for the help everyone.
2018-4-23
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Seanmul89 7 Posted at 2018-4-20 12:43
Hi all, thanks for replies, so i went to fly again today in next to zero wind, doing the same, about 200metres away "compass error" i get, aircraft disconnected, again when i go full throttle forward and release to brake, it goes wild, it drifts away like in atti mode until it gets the position correct and it will stay still, while hovering its slightly turning to the right, it will keep turning ever so slowly.

Going froward and back its like this, when i go side to side it doesn't do anything crazy like back/forward.

Compass error will cause the type of drift you described.  In many cases the results are disastrous.  The problem occurs when the flight control system receives conflicting data about flight direction from GPS and IMU  (compass). In more severe cases the Mavic will fly in erratic circular patterns and eventually force land. (RTH is not an option).  Almost all these reported cases have involved bad compass calibration.  I don't know if a slight compass error could cause the symptoms you described, but it sure fits.  Good luck with a resolution.
2018-4-23
Use props
Seanmul89 7
lvl.1
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2018-4-23 04:54
Compass error will cause the type of drift you described.  In many cases the results are disastrous.  The problem occurs when the flight control system receives conflicting data about flight direction from GPS and IMU  (compass). In more severe cases the Mavic will fly in erratic circular patterns and eventually force land. (RTH in not an option).  Almost all these reported cases have involved bad compass calibration.  I don't know if a slight compass error could cause the symptoms you described, but it sure fits.  Good luck with a resolution.

Soon as purchased and set it up, first flight i knew something was wrong right away and all the errors kept appearing, Ive had one before and loved it.
It was turning slow to the right by itself, would eventually do near a 360 degree turn, the braking was abnormal, sport mode wasn't like sport mode at all.. just unlucky with it but returned at the right time too.
2018-4-23
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

i BVB

Seanmul89 7 Posted at 2018-4-23 04:58
Soon as purchased and set it up, first flight i knew something was wrong right away and all the errors kept appearing, Ive had one before and loved it.
It was turning slow to the right by itself, would eventually do near a 360 degree turn, the braking was abnormal, sport mode wasn't like sport mode at all.. just unlucky with it but returned at the right time too.

The only  other possibility I can think of is the stick calibration.  Could be that your rudder stick center is off.  

Unlikely but possible:  
I believe the stick controls use hall-effect devices, so be sure your fingers, hands or arms don't contain magnetic materials.  The log file should show evidence of slight rudder values when sticks should be centered it this is the case.
2018-4-24
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-4-21 11:40
Calibrate the IMU and see if that fixes the issue, I had the same issue, calibrated and now no issues.

I just fired my MP up for the first time in a few days and had the noticeable drift as well, even when flying it away from me it tended to not fly straight.  I took your advice and I calibrated the IMU and the Compass and everything is back to normal.  
2018-10-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules