manual mode
1654 13 2018-4-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Public Washroom
lvl.2
Philippines

hello

is there abutton or switch to trigger from gps mode to manual mode while in mid air?

thanks
2018-4-20
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

You probably mean ATTI mode (flying without the GPS for position holding). No, there isn't a way to do this other than modify the Mavic.
2018-4-20
Use props
Public Washroom
lvl.2
Philippines

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2018-4-20 18:18
You probably mean ATTI mode (flying without the GPS for position holding). No, there isn't a way to do this other than modify the Mavic.

what if the gps suddenly failed will switch automatically itself to manual mode while in the air?
2018-4-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there, please check the user manual of the Mavic air to know more details about the flight mode, you can check the page 11 directly: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20v1.2.pdf. Hope this help, thanks!

2018-4-21
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

Public Washroom Posted at 2018-4-20 18:20
what if the gps suddenly failed will switch automatically itself to manual mode while in the air?

Not sure what you are thinking about. Why would the gps need to switch?  Ideally you only want to fly with good gps signals. If it switches  you need to have your skills up to fly in ATTI mode.  I have flown a lot with non-gps drones, so I am used to this should it happen.
2018-4-21
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2018-4-20 18:18

Its a pity - there really should be a way to practice control in ATTI and OPTI modes - for when GPS fails.   It's not uncommon for GPS to be occasionally jammed in parts of the UK for military exercises etc.
On one of my early flights with the Mavic I  had GPS suddenly fail mid flight. The Mavic just drifted away with the wind.  I was totally unprepared - very scary watching £1000 drifting away.
2018-4-21
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
United States

RocketChap Posted at 2018-4-21 15:10
Its a pity - there really should be a way to practice control in ATTI and OPTI modes - for when GPS fails.   It's not uncommon for GPS to be occasionally jammed in parts of the UK for military exercises etc.
On one of my early flights with the Mavic I  had GPS suddenly fail mid flight. The Mavic just drifted away with the wind.  I was totally unprepared - very scary watching £1000 drifting away.

Yes, people have been requesting that since the Mavic first came out.
2018-4-25
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

You can use foil to cover the top of drone to cut GPS signal. But need to take the risk as don’t know what will happen. Not recommended to try with expensive drone like MA.
2018-4-25
Use props
RocketChap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 902034 ft
United Kingdom

GDL Posted at 2018-4-25 20:53
You can use foil to cover the top of drone to cut GPS signal. But need to take the risk as don’t know what will happen. Not recommended to try with expensive drone like MA.

Yes - but to practice there really needs to be a way to switch GPS mode back on quickly if you get into trouble.

Like you say the foil idea isn't really a recommended method.
2018-4-25
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Don’t understand why you need practice manual mode with MA. A cheap toy drone is much better for practice. If you can manage unstable toy drone well, no way you can’t handle MA in ATTI mode.
2018-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

RocketChap Posted at 2018-4-25 23:06
Yes - but to practice there really needs to be a way to switch GPS mode back on quickly if you get into trouble.

Like you say the foil idea isn't really a recommended method.

As GDL said why would you bother risking your €1300 drone when you can pick up a cheap one for €50 and crash it all day long.
2018-4-26
Use props
Public Washroom
lvl.2
Philippines

GDL Posted at 2018-4-26 02:37
Don’t understand why you need practice manual mode with MA. A cheap toy drone is much better for practice. If you can manage unstable toy drone well, no way you can’t handle MA in ATTI mode.

IMHO when the GPS failed then manual mode kick there is a 90% chances to save your drone than to drifting away  and flying with manual mode is more fun, perhaps you never been flying in manual mode before? it would be nice if dji has this features when gps out of service the drone will hover and the pilot will takeover to control.
2018-4-26
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Hong Kong

I won’t use MA to fly with fun on manual mode. Other drone can do this much better.
2018-4-26
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Hong Kong

I don’t worry about gps fail for MA as it’s much easier to handle than the drone I fly before. Keep it on your sign and avoid strong winds will be OK. Regardless the vision position function backup when gps failed.
2018-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules