Lost connection - what do I do?!?!
2783 14 2018-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GlobetrotterGP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Whilst on my 2nd ever flight (over mt etna which is beautiful btw) halfway through it suddenly said disconnected! I panicked lots, kept pressing return to home /land over and over but it didn't seem to do much. It hovered where it was whilst I panicked a bit more then it suddenly started returning to home. (Not sure if I temporarily gained connection for this to happen? ) just wondering if this happens often and if so what should you do to regain control?! Thanks!
2018-4-22
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

No worry. That's how it works.  Keep line of sight with spark n controller. Good to go.
2018-4-22
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's happened to me twice, think when at the edge of range for that location...first thing to do is to breathe and not panic. If Spark loses the signal but has gps, it will, if you've flown correctly with a home point set, return to that point. Keep it in sight, stay calm and fly it closer to you. The second time I lost connection, my screen went black, and after about (i think) 3 seconds it started to return to home, my signal came back, I was able to cancel the return to home and continue to fly...though I kept it closer to me. Good luck.
2018-4-22
Use props
Sparky Sparkinson
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5614 ft
United States

If you are flying over WiFi and controlling from a phone, I would keep it in close range. Really, you need to have the dedicated remote control and an OTG connection between the remote and your phone for reliable control of the drone.
2018-4-22
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Do you have the remote controller or just a phone?  With the remote, you need to keep the sides of the antenna pointed at the drone.  Not the tips.  It radiates out the sides more than the end of the antenna.  Lots of people lose link when they lift up the remote to see the screen better and blank/hide the antennas from the drone.

If you are using a phone as the controller, you might try changing how the phone is oriented until the connection comes back.

I have lost video link but never the control.  I just turned the drone or the icon on the screen (lower left) and flew the drone back to me until video restored.  I never use RTH as it can cause wrecks or flyaways.  I fly and land better than it does.
2018-4-22
Use props
NedUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 555262 ft
United Kingdom

Sparky Sparkinson Posted at 2018-4-22 07:51
If you are flying over WiFi and controlling from a phone, I would keep it in close range. Really, you need to have the dedicated remote control and an OTG connection between the remote and your phone for reliable control of the drone.

Why do you say you need a dedicated remote AND OTG connection, I’m running iPhone X and use WiFi to remote and it’s perfectly fine
2018-4-22
Use props
NedUK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 555262 ft
United Kingdom

I’ve found if you lose connection just relax and allow the drone to do its job, quite often when it reconnects it’s on its way back. The return to home is pretty good as long as there is nothing in between you and the drone and the RTH altitude is sufficient
2018-4-22
Use props
GlobetrotterGP
lvl.1
Italy

ChrisJG Posted at 2018-4-22 07:49
It's happened to me twice, think when at the edge of range for that location...first thing to do is to breathe and not panic. If Spark loses the signal but has gps, it will, if you've flown correctly with a home point set, return to that point. Keep it in sight, stay calm and fly it closer to you. The second time I lost connection, my screen went black, and after about (i think) 3 seconds it started to return to home, my signal came back, I was able to cancel the return to home and continue to fly...though I kept it closer to me. Good luck.

You say to fly it closer but how can I do that if its no longer connected to my phone? (I do not have a controller, just my phone.)
2018-4-22
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

It sounds like the Spark initiated RTH when it became disconnected, as it's designed to. It hovers for a few seconds or more before returning home, as yours eventually did. Your commands, as panicked and insistent as they were,;) weren't getting through because of the disconnect. That's my guess.
2018-4-22
Use props
Artur Macau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256549 ft
Macao

If disconnects, it will never receive any input, however the RTH will kick after a few seconds without connection to the RC or Phone.
2018-4-22
Use props
ChrisJG
First Officer
Flight distance : 1725341 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

GlobetrotterGP Posted at 2018-4-22 14:34
You say to fly it closer but how can I do that if its no longer connected to my phone? (I do not have a controller, just my phone.)

Once it loses connection, after (I think) 3 seconds,  Spark will start to return to the Home Point. As it does, the connection (in my case) re-established as the distances decreased and then you will have control again.
2018-4-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Honestly, to be quite frank... you need to read the manual before you lose your quad.  Coming here with questions is fine, but that's a pretty rudimentary situation.  I say this only in your best interests.
2018-4-23
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... 0Manual%20V1.6-.pdf

Required reading...
2018-4-23
Use props
Firehawk989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Also definitely get the remote! I wouldn't trust flying my Spark without it as there are too many variables to keep a reliable connection with phone only.
2018-4-23
Use props
lanky8804
lvl.1
Flight distance : 143278 ft

United Kingdom

Same as everyone above. Been pushing the limits for distance, it often disconnects then begins RTH. Will then reconnect on the way back at which stage I cancel and continue to fly.
2018-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules