Which do you prefer? Edited or Unedited photos
1884 10 2018-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CjMiller7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 35413 ft
United States

Well the title pretty much says it all. I have seen quite a few pictures where people will say that the picture is unedited, but then again you can see in other peoples pictures that the picture is clearly edited, and often time looks amazing. In fact both unedited and edited pictures look great! We truely have some very talented drone photographers on this fourm. Im trying to work on my raw (non-post) photography skills. Especially with the sharpness and vibrance/colors in the picture. Ive been trying to use the histogram, but that dosent always want to cooperate. Ive tried shooting during the day but living in the desert, that can be quite bright as expected. Ive also tried shooting in the "golden hour" but often times I cannot get colors to pop like I would like. Definitely gonna keep practicing!!
The ultimate question is do you guys prefer to post for yourself/see others post unedited or edited photos? Also any tips on shooting photos would be greatly appreciated.

2018-4-22
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Hey CJ,

Firstly I have to say that I hate seeing photos that have been over processed in post. However, unprocessed images rarely convey the mood, feeling or atmosphere of the scene as we recall it. This is mainly because the camera's sensor is no where near as efficient as our eye at recording the dynamic range of a scene, and cannot capture the feel of the moment. A well processed image should recover some of the dynamic range and enhance the mood of an image while appearing to have been untouched in post.

Perhaps give image bracketing a try. Regardless of it's detractors, HDR is one way of recording dynamic range closer to the way we perceive a scene without introducing noise and such artefacts in the darker parts or blowing out highlights.

My opinion, do not feel embarrassed to admit to a bit of post processing. Virtually all photographers do it whether they admit it or not. If it was good enough for Ansell Adams it's good enough for me!

Cheers
2018-4-22
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

As an amateur photographer, almost all my photos are edited.   Forbsie summarised it well, most images don't represent exactly what the eye sees, so post is just a way of correcting that.    It's also worth remembering that JPEG photos are a already an edited version of a raw photo, so it's pretty hard to avoid any type of editing.

At the end of the day, photos are like music.  There is no right or wrong, it's about appreciating the end result.  Whether or not it requires editing or not, I don't care.
2018-4-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Do you like your carrots raw or cooked?
Both can taste great

But when it comes to photography: it's all about light and composition.
Post processing can enhance certain parts of your picture, but if the composition is wrong, it will never be a great picture.
2018-4-23
Use props
forbsie
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-23 00:04
Both can taste great

Yes absolutely agree, and forgot to mention that in my post! As the old saying goes, "you can't polish a t..d" ;)
2018-4-23
Use props
CjMiller7
lvl.2
United States

Sweet! Thank you all for your input!
2018-4-23
Use props
CjMiller7
lvl.2
United States

forbsie Posted at 2018-4-22 19:44
Hey CJ,

Firstly I have to say that I hate seeing photos that have been over processed in post. However, unprocessed images rarely convey the mood, feeling or atmosphere of the scene as we recall it. This is mainly because the camera's sensor is no where near as efficient as our eye at recording the dynamic range of a scene, and cannot capture the feel of the moment. A well processed image should recover some of the dynamic range and enhance the mood of an image while appearing to have been untouched in post.

Thank you for the reply! I completely understand. Unprocessed pictures can look good, but often times do not come close to replicating the actual look.  Take a good unprocessed picture and make some minor touches on it and it can be a much better picture (if done right).
2018-4-23
Use props
CjMiller7
lvl.2
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-4-23 00:04
Both can taste great

Thank you very much for the tip on composition and light! I always try to think about lighting and framing, but sometimes the framing gets away from me because im so focused on the lighting. Definitely need to learn how to take both into account at the same time!
2018-4-23
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I prefer raw unedited photos with little or no post-work done. Only if the editor posting the video knows color grading editing well, as long as you have the raw unedited the images can be quickly uploaded to future programs that edit videos and photos more automated using the faster upcoming 5G
2018-4-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

CjMiller7 Posted at 2018-4-23 17:03
Thank you very much for the tip on composition and light! I always try to think about lighting and framing, but sometimes the framing gets away from me because im so focused on the lighting. Definitely need to learn how to take both into account at the same time!

Yes, I know.
Hard indeed
2018-4-24
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It depends on the image and what you want the capture to look like. I tend to edit most of my stills but rarely 'over edit'
2018-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules