Palm land not working due to obstacle avoidance?
946 12 2018-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ragingseaturtle
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7428 ft

So I have had nothing but issues with my spark since getting it. Latest is I take off either from my hand or ground fly around, turn on geture mode from the dji app and attempt to place my hand under the spark. I look on the app and gives me that 6 feet away error as if its trying to actively avoid it. I attempted to fix this by taping on me and then all it says is go and stop and drone basically becomes mininal responsive. Ive read elsewhere to just turn the drone around since the avoidance wont work that way and just force land it in your palm im just wondering if im doing something wrong or have a setting that shouldnt be. The drone has been nothing but inconsistent its frustrating.
2018-4-24
Use props
bbayjohn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108202 ft

Yes, fly backwards towards your hand when obstacles avoidance stops you from getting closer. Maybe the spark is not for you if it sadness you. I love my spark and can’t get enough of flying it. I just swapped out my blades and she hovers better now.
2018-4-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

I do not have obstacle avoidance alarms when landing in gesture mode.  You might have to be in gesture mode before you get close to the obstacle.  As if once the alarm sounds, you can't just switch to gesture to stop it.  Back up, switch to gesture mode, then try again.  Also try positioning your hand further from the bottom of the drone.

What is behind you?  Looking at one of my videos, you can see the drone fly to about four feet from my face, me switch to gesture mode, then I walk up and it lands in my hand.  All within a few seconds.  No apparent alarm.
2018-4-24
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hover above you head and then bring it straight down to your hand.
2018-4-24
Use props
Ragingseaturtle
lvl.1

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-4-24 16:27
I do not have obstacle avoidance alarms when landing in gesture mode.  You might have to be in gesture mode before you get close to the obstacle.  As if once the alarm sounds, you can't just switch to gesture to stop it.  Back up, switch to gesture mode, then try again.  Also try positioning your hand further from the bottom of the drone.

What is behind you?  Looking at one of my videos, you can see the drone fly to about four feet from my face, me switch to gesture mode, then I walk up and it lands in my hand.  All within a few seconds.  No apparent alarm.

I think that could be it. I usually fly it close and see the proximity alert, like yellow/green then engage gesture mode
2018-4-24
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

Ragingseaturtle Posted at 2018-4-24 16:36
I think that could be it. I usually fly it close and see the proximity alert, like yellow/green then engage gesture mode

BTW, it is easier to just hover it a little higher, then hold the left stick down to bring it down to your hand.  It thinks it is landing on the ground.  There is more rev-ing of the props but it will land in your hand and shut off.  Plus it saves the step of switching to gesture mode.

15 seconds to go from the Spark racing at you in sport mode, doing a hard flare to a hover, landing in your hand, and you running from the park police.
2018-4-24
Use props
Ragingseaturtle
lvl.1

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-4-24 17:27
BTW, it is easier to just hover it a little higher, then hold the left stick down to bring it down to your hand.  It thinks it is landing on the ground.  There is more rev-ing of the props but it will land in your hand and shut off.  Plus it saves the step of switching to gesture mode.

15 seconds to go from the Spark racing at you in sport mode, doing a hard flare to a hover, landing in your hand, and you running from the park police.

Ive been reading that it lands just as easy on your hand that way. Im going to be on a boat and the gesture control seem easiest but now i think about it the forcing it on my hand may be best.
2018-4-24
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ragingseaturtle Posted at 2018-4-24 18:30
Ive been reading that it lands just as easy on your hand that way. Im going to be on a boat and the gesture control seem easiest but now i think about it the forcing it on my hand may be best.

I prefer the method Gunship9 mentions as well.  I made a video about several different methods of launching and landing the Spark.  At around the 12:50 mark, I talk about this particular method.

2018-4-25
Use props
Ragingseaturtle
lvl.1

KlooGee Posted at 2018-4-25 09:02
I prefer the method Gunship9 mentions as well.  I made a video about several different methods of launching and landing the Spark.  At around the 12:50 mark, I talk about this particular method.

https://youtu.be/ZOyC6PXvRm4?t=12m48s

Im gunna check out the video thanks for all the tips! Hopefully this will help my spark not go for a dunk in the ocean.
2018-4-25
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, ingenious landing method.  Thank u 4 sharing.
2018-4-25
Use props
Oliver B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106102 ft
Germany

As far as i am aware you have to start your DJI Spark with a palm launch in gesture mode, so it's going to recognize /remember your face. Then you can switch in the DJI App to any other flight mode to fly around. As soon as you put it back in gesture mode, you can go near to Spark, wait until it recognize your face again, hold your hand under Spark and it will initiate the landing by itself.
2018-4-25
Use props
Nixtoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6562 ft

Mine is terrible to land in gesture mode. It just goes up instead of landing. Has worked maybe 1 in 5 times.
2018-4-25
Use props
Hddeuce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 128261 ft
United States

For me, the easiest way to "land" in my hand is to simply hover in front of me, then grab it from underneath and flip it over...the motors instantly cut.
2018-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules