2000 7 2015-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

In order to make smooth movies, I put gain values at their minimums : 80. But yaw is still very quick even with minimal stick movement.I saw 2 other settings in the app : Sensitivity ->"attitude" (from 20 to 100) and "brake" (from 70 to 130) but no explanation at all. What is the effect on the quad reactions when changing these 2 values ?
2015-5-9
Use props
qestor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518573 ft
Poland

Good question ! I have the same issue ! Waiting for some good tips
2015-5-9
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

I second that!

The whole "EXP" etc. is not very intuitive. It is very convoluted.

I lowered the "Braking" setting, and now it does not stop as aggressively (because it does not counter-spin the props as violently as before. Is also noticable when just starting to descend. At standard setting you will hear it slow down the props and let it start descend quickly.

Even the Gimbal motion is governed by two settings two different places in the app (as far as I know). There is the "Speed" (0-100) - but also another that I can't recall what is called - but it is something with how sensitive the jug for the gimbal is - like the curve of the tilt (very useful to make those tilts that fade slowly to a complete stop. When you change that setting by the way, you might want to increase the speed of the gimbal or it might be too slow. I use Gimbal speed of 60 I think - WITH the other setting changed. Before I found that setting, I felt the gimbal was better at 40-50 in "speed".
2015-5-9
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-10 07:25
I second that!

The whole "EXP" etc. is not very intuitive. It is very convoluted.

See if this makes sense:

EXP stands for exponential. If you grab the little dot in the graph (there are two of them, but they both work the same way, just for different controls) and slide it up/down, you'll see the slope of the line change from a straight line to one that's somewhat curved. Here's what you're actually doing...

When the line is straight, no matter where you are "on the curve" the force is always the same as you increase/decrease. But, when the line is curved (i.e., exponential is being used), there is effectively a little "play" in the joystick - i.e., it won't be quite so sensitive. You can wobble the stick around somewhat and not have your craft go crazy. Imagine you're applying two pounds of force to the stick. In normal mode, that equates to two pounds of force. In EXP mode, it will "dampen" (reduce) the effect so the force feels LESS than two pounds. But, if you push harder, it will eventually "catch up."

Experiment in a slow process. Alter the line just a teeny bit (i.e., making it curve) and then fly a while and see how it feels - doing lots of manual control - turns, spins, etc. Then go back into the settings and bump it up just another teeny bit (enough so you can see the graph change slightly) and then fly some more - very moderate aerobatics, nothing crazy!) and see how it feels.

The EXP thing is very popular in RC plane flying - it protects the "heavy-fisted" user.

Hope that helps.
2015-5-11
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I already set all curves to their maximum values to decrease the effect of the stick input but I was not able to see big differences compared to a straight line.
Years ago, when I was flying my Raptor 90 copter with a Futaba 7, EXP curves where working as intended.
2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-11 21:47
See if this makes sense:

EXP stands for exponential. If you grab the little dot in the graph (the ...

I agree with what you've written.

So how does this work together with the "GAINS"? I'd expect that was somewhat the same?

And there is no EXP-curve for Yaw? (correct me if I'm wrong).

I love that we have these settings, because making good aerial video or even just emulating a jib og crane, takes really really  smooth and gentle movements to look professional and convincing.

I love that we can control the speed and "aggressiveness" of the gimbal (except it is also a bit unclear how the two different Gimbal speed and "expo" settings for the Gimbal work together (and why are they not next to eachother but buried in the menus?

PS: One caveat of decreasing the sensitivity of the sticks (in the first part of the movement) is that you tend to use more extreme stick controls sometimes when you actually want it to go fast. That, I fear, makes it a bit more likely that you - by mistake - engage the CSC command in air (both sticks fully down/out or down/in) - and shut off the motors. This should seriously be more difficult than just some person going crazy with the sticks to see what happens - and accidentially putting the sticks in the CSC position
2015-5-11
Use props
aburkefl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 78612 ft
United States

FantomDK Posted at 2015-5-11 22:59
I agree with what you've written.

So how does this work together with the "GAINS"? I'd expect tha ...

Personally, I feel that having the CSC capability to shut the props down is not a good idea.
I have never shut mine down that way. I *always* just pull straight down on the throttle and hold it there until the props stop.

I can't think of any sane maneuver with the Phantom 3 that would require the left stick to be down and to the left/right (except, of course, when starting up the rotors). Full down with your P3 well up in the air would be scary enough without making it spin by leaning on the YAW control.

I somewhat agree with your assessment about EXP (expo in the vernacular of RC planes). Not everyone who flies planes likes it either!
2015-5-11
Use props
FantomDK
lvl.4

Denmark

aburkefl@gmail. Posted at 2015-5-12 04:07
Personally, I feel that having the CSC capability to shut the props down is not a good idea.
I hav ...

Yeah, people might experiment - and just test the flying abilities of the Phantom - see it spin like crazy. It is too easy - even if it would happen only very rarely.

It is just scary that for people to know that they could have their aircraft drop out of the sky if they move the stick the wrong way...

It should be more difficult. People should have to push some extra buttons at the same time or something. Like CTRL-ALT-DEL on steoroids
2015-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules