2623 16 2018-4-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
drone_user
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473743 ft
United States

Hi

I have a mavic pro I have had it for a few months... anyways today I notice the height is wrong on the controller and the app

meaning when mavic is 6 feet off the ground it saids 22 feet!

When I take off it seems to be right when I fly for a little bit and come back to land is what I notice its off

any ideas?  

p.s I will try to calibrate sensors tomn
2018-4-25
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

also looks like distance was off too!
2018-4-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your correct height when at low altitude should show under V.S I think I’m not near my Mavic Pro just now I’ll see if I can upload image for you tomorrow, it’s not a problem with sensors , your just reading the wrong height on telemetry.
2018-4-25
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-4-25 14:12
Your correct height when at low altitude should show under V.S I think I’m not near my Mavic Pro just now I’ll see if I can upload image for you tomorrow, it’s not a problem with sensors , your just reading the wrong height on telemetry.

hum I don't know what you are saying   I mean when I look at the number that is next to the H which means height its off   
2018-4-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

drone_user Posted at 2018-4-25 14:30
hum I don't know what you are saying   I mean when I look at the number that is next to the H which means height its off

That’s IMU height, it will give you correct height when you are out of VPs range inside VPs range your correct height is measured by VPs .
2018-4-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

The height and distance after setting the home point should be within few feet of each other, give or take.
2018-4-25
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

what I mean is when I am hovering at 6 feet the controller and go app 4  say 22 feet!
2018-4-25
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

let us know again after the sensors are recalibrated - what time of day were you flying when you noticed the issue? were you perhaps flying near water?
2018-4-25
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

Bekaru MP UAV Posted at 2018-4-25 15:47
let us know again after the sensors are recalibrated - what time of day were you flying when you noticed the issue? were you perhaps flying near water?

I will I hope tomn I will get that done and no water just land

as for the time of day it was earlier after noon
2018-4-25
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Interested to see if re calibrating the IMU and compass will fix it.
2018-4-25
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

drone_user Posted at 2018-4-25 16:50
I will I hope tomn I will get that done and no water just land

as for the time of day it was earlier after noon

ok, cool - i was just wondering as it leads to an open question i have about barometric readings in autumn and spring - it is just a conspiracy/weird possibility theory at this time :-)
2018-4-25
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

what is weird is when I take off it seems to be right after i fly around for a bit and come in to land that's when I see if being off... I would think if it was the sensors it would be wrong when taking off??
2018-4-25
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

SparksBird Posted at 2018-4-25 16:56
Interested to see if re calibrating the IMU and compass will fix it.

I am going to re-cal the sensors that are under the mavis with dji assit program..i think that is what I should try first?
2018-4-25
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

drone_user Posted at 2018-4-25 17:28
I am going to re-cal the sensors that are under the mavis with dji assit program..i think that is what I should try first?

I'm sorry to hear about the issue that you are experiencing. Yes, please do the troubleshooting and please feel free to let us know the update, hope everything will be fine soon.
2018-4-25
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

I hooked the mavic up to dji ass program

It came up with a msg saying inconsistent firmware on modules errors??? so I let it updated and I did the controller too

re calibrate sensors then after that I did a IMU and compass calibrate

I did one short flight it seems to work but I hope to do more tests this weekend so will let you know

Thanks
2018-4-27
Use props
Bekaru MP UAV
First Officer
South Africa

drone_user Posted at 2018-4-27 04:08
I hooked the mavic up to dji ass program

It came up with a msg saying inconsistent firmware on modules errors??? so I let it updated and I did the controller too

Thats good to hear - thanks for providing the update - i trust it works properly now but let us know again.

If the problem does seem to be resolved then perhaps you could adjust the heading of the thread to say [Resolved] as this helps others with similar issues to identify the best threads to follow when experiencing the same issues.
2018-4-27
Use props
drone_user
lvl.3
United States

Well its off again I didn't notice this after intill after 3 flights in a row so I don't know if it was off before hand BUT due to the mavic it sounds like this could be normal? here is what I mean? I posted this question on other forum and one of the members said this which makes sense I guess I am surprised that more people haven't notice it I thought I should pass this info on

here is his (laurens23) explanation on it

Both an increase in the temperature and a decrease in the atmospheric pressure, and, to a much lesser degree, an increase in the humidity, will cause an increase in the density altitude.

When you take off the barometric altitude sensor will take a measurement of the outside air and use that as reference. Then during the flight the drone will compare the current outside air pressure to the reading it took when taking off. based on this it will calculate the altitude and display it. So if the weather (temp/pressure/humidity) changes, the drone is still comparing to the old reading and therefore displays a 'wrong' value.

Because the drone is using the air pressure to determine its altitude it can never determine a new reference (i.e. the drone does not know the difference between the drone going up/down and the weather changing. Therefore it cannot readjust until you actually land and take off again with a new reference.

for example:
•you take off and the sensor reads 1013hPa, the drone will set 1013.25 hPa = 0ft.
•you fly around a bit and the weather (temp/pressure/humidity) changes.
•the pressure on the ground has now changed from 1013.25 to 1012.25.
•now you come back to land, your drone does not know the pressure changed.
•it is still comparing to 1013.25. It will show 100ft but you are actually only 73ft.
•When landed it wil compare 1012.25 to the 1013.25 reference and still show 27 ft even though you are on the ground.
As a rule of thumb for flying you can take 27ft per 1 hPa.

This is the main reason drones have a ultrasonic sensor at the bottom. If it relied on the barometric pressure sensor it would be unable to auto-land safely. The ultrasonic sensors are used to detect the ground and avoid slamming into the ground or shutting off the motors while still in the air, regardless of the altitude reading from the barometric sensor.

It is a very interesting topic and if you would like to know more I can suggest/recoment to look up some PPL (Private Pilot Licence) study material on the subject (sections on QNE, QNH).

I have a PPL. There are special rules/procedures to avoid the same problems. During a 2 hour flight to an airport 200-300km away the difference could be several hundred feet or more. The solution for general aviation comes down to this: Before takeoff I set my reference (set current altitude to known airport altitude). Then while cruising above a transition altitude everyone will be on 1013.25. This will make sure that when a controller tells me to fly at 9000ft and another plane to fly at 8500ft that there will be 500ft between us and we don't crash, regardless of where we took of or what the weather is. When I decent to my destination I will get the local altimeter setting (new reference) through the radio (from ATIS or tower). When I set that new reference I know my altitude above the runway and I know I will touch down at 0ft. unfortunately the drone cannot call the ground to get an update because there is no new reference altitude available.

One way this could be solved would be to add a barometric pressure sensor in the remote. the sensor in the remote could then be used as the reference and it's value can be transmitted to the drone together with the other commands. the drone can use this as a variable reference pressure. with this the altitude of the controller will always be 0ft regardless of weather and if you walk up a hill while flying your new position on the hill will be 0ft.

2018-5-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules