Drone into the water
3921 21 2018-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_TBDCDh303tT7
New

Canada

I was flying my Spark beside a creek and it seems I lost a decent GPS signal and it took off to the left and hit a branch and into the water. It sat in the water for a couple minutes and when I got it out it was still functioning. I dried it off inside the truck and have had it in a bag of rice over night but it doesn't do anything now when I turn it on. If I plug in the charger to it I can hear the fan running but that's it. Is this fixable or am I looking at buying a new one?

2018-4-26
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

LIkely a new one but if you can disassemble, air out, and clean it real good, it might work fine.  I have seen youtube videos where they have recovered a submerged Mavic and it ran the next day.
2018-4-26
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

Beware of the Battery if it fell in the Water. Dont risk using it again !
Throw away the battery if it was me, dont play with LI-PO Battery, water damage is dangerous ! In case of a short due to corrosion and a fire is started while charging / flying, only God can help you !
2018-4-26
Use props
qenddrimgashi
lvl.1

Kosovo

All what you have to do is to put in rice and leave for 5 days and you will see it's going to work
2018-4-26
Use props
qenddrimgashi
lvl.1

Kosovo

Fisr disassemble the battery and plastic material than put in rice believe me
2018-4-26
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

qenddrimgashi Posted at 2018-4-26 08:52

Contact DJI Support, ask for help, dont fly something you have no trust especially after a crash in the Water. Ask the Opinion of the Pros, DJI can help you.

Never risk. This ain't a Toy Buddy.

2018-4-26
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

Fly Safe for Yourself and the Interest of Others. Send it for Repair to DJI Agent or a Drone Repair Centre where Professionals can analize it. They can test all components are give you Test Results that your Safe to Fly again with it.
2018-4-26
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

I hope you took the battery off before letting it sit in rice overnight... electricity and moisture cause the tiny circuit traces to corrode..
2018-4-26
Use props
djiuser_TBDCDh303tT7
New

Canada

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-26 10:04
Fly Safe for Yourself and the Interest of Others. Send it for Repair to DJI Agent or a Drone Repair Centre where Professionals can analize it. They can test all components are give you Test Results that your Safe to Fly again with it.

If rice was that good to solve all problems, there wouldn't be Technican and Electrical Engineering Degrees in University, but Shops filled with Rice Buckets.

Just an update to my situation. I called a DJI Agent repair shop and they told me it wouldn't be worth it to send it to them and get repaired. The aircraft would fly after I got it back but the cost to repair might be more than a new Spark. Also they said the parts of the aircraft that were working and not replaced have no guarantee that at some point they might fail and that would be when I'm flying. A tough lesson to be sure.
2018-4-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am sorry to hear the mishap. Regarding the drone, I don't recommend continuing flying the drone, for the safety of your flight. Because when the drone had fallen into the water, parts of the drone might rust and it might cause a potential threat during flight.
You can try to contact our support to see if there is anything we can help. http://www.dji.com/support
2018-4-26
Use props
MikB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13346 ft
France

I would never try and charge a lipo battery that I suspected of being damaged. I once had one catch fire. It was really quite violent  and very frightening. Even now I have a special area in my workshop for charging batteries.
2018-4-26
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-4-26 18:30
I am sorry to hear the mishap. Regarding the drone, I don't recommend continuing flying the drone, for the safety of your flight. Because when the drone had fallen into the water, parts of the drone might rust and it might cause a potential threat during flight.
You can try to contact our support to see if there is anything we can help. http://www.dji.com/support

100% Agree.
2018-4-27
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

MikB Posted at 2018-4-26 23:21
I would never try and charge a lipo battery that I suspected of being damaged. I once had one catch fire. It was really quite violent  and very frightening. Even now I have a special area in my workshop for charging batteries.

100% Agree with You.
2018-4-27
Use props
djiuser_TBDCDh303tT7
New

Canada

All what you have to do is to put in rice and leave for 5 days and you will see it's going to work

I pulled it out of the bag of rice last night and it came back to life. I just had to do a compass renew and it works perfectly. Thanks for the info and comments everyone !
2018-4-27
Use props
Sunshinedigger
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7116 ft

djiuser_TBDCDh303tT7 Posted at 2018-4-27 06:29
I pulled it out of the bag of rice last night and it came back to life. I just had to do a compass renew and it works perfectly. Thanks for the info and comments everyone !

Yes.... the DJI gods did look out for you
2018-4-27
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

That's quite amazing,,, would never have believed this could work,,,
2018-4-27
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

See.  Cool that the protective coating they spray on circuit boards can provide some protection from water.  Yes, it might fail earlier than a non-waterlogged drone but by that time the Spark IV will be out.
2018-4-27
Use props
qenddrimgashi
lvl.1

Kosovo

i told you hahaha good to hear this thing . Hope you will make good videos with him .
2018-5-2
Use props
Firehawk989
Second Officer
Flight distance : 198904 ft
Canada

Once I noticed an iphone sitting on the bottom of a lake at about 8ft deep; it had been there at least overnight. Swam out and grabbed it, took it home, put it in rice for a few days and it fired right up. Figured out who the owner was and they happily paid the shipping cost for me to send it back to them.

Rice does work, and most electronics can take a bit of a dunking and still survive as long as it's not salt water. Salt water is almost certain death.
2018-5-2
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

could have been caused by flying to close to water (see manual) or GPS signal affected by trees/branches.  
2018-5-2
Use props
qenddrimgashi
lvl.1

Kosovo

DMX_MLT Posted at 2018-4-26 10:03
?? Oh come on man ! You watched a Youtube Video I am sure !

Contact DJI Support, ask for help, dont fly something you have no trust especially after a crash in the Water. Ask the Opinion of the Pros, DJI can help you.

read his comment than thanks me hahaha
2018-5-4
Use props
DMX_MLT
First Officer
Malta

qenddrimgashi Posted at 2018-5-4 07:29
read his comment than thanks me hahaha

Quoting from what the User who had the Accident said - Refer to Comment #1.

''It sat in the water for a couple minutes and when I got it out it was still functioning.''

Wait for the corrosion....

2018-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules