Less than six months and seven charge/discharge cycles: Dead $120 battery?
1028 9 2015-5-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
william.barnhil
New

United States

I went for a flight today, the 7th flight on this battery, and upon getting home after the session I placed the battery on the DJI charger only to see within an hour the charging lights change to the two center LEDs on solid.  Well that's odd.  So I look up some info online and see results like "battery fried".  Tried to plug in the battery and Phantom to get info from the Assistant, and the battery causes the Phantom to restart over and over again until you turn off the battery.  It will not stay on, so I can't even pull data from the Assistant.  I plug in my second battery and all APPEARS well with that one (though I haven't attempted to fly again since finding this out).

This is the battery that came with the P2VP from a DJI Authorized Dealer (Barcode on bottom of battery: DJ070014102822688).  All contacts on battery and P2VP are clean.  As mentioned, the other battery I have appears to be working fine.  The P2VP has never been connected to the Assistant before today so this isn't a failed upgrade.  Charging/discharging has been in line with DJI recommendations.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm very much open to them.  Thanks in advance.
2015-5-9
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Well your first contact would be the dealer where you bought it from, although DJI only offer a 3 month warranty on the flight battery.
See what the dealer says, they may offer to test it and see what the problem is.
2015-5-9
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

Does the battery give you. Any led lights at all. If so hold the button down for about 5 seconds till the red led (power indicator) blinks and see how may green led's are lit each one indicates about 25% battery life remaining. It's a pretty good indicator. However may not be worth trusting a questionable battery for the quads worth during flight if the battery were to fail. Just remember things go wrong and things break. So can a battery die.
If you are less than three months old contact support at DJI and I am sure they will take care of the issue.
2015-5-10
Use props
william.barnhil
New

United States

That's pretty much what I was afraid of.  A three month warranty where issues seem to crop up soon after.  I may consider this a fluke, but seeing others in similar situations with legit DJI batteries doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.  Thanks for the responses.
2015-5-10
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

if u decide to throw it in trash, consider mailing it to me instead;  there seems too many of these problems and i am willing to test these bad batts to try to get to the bottom of the issues.....
2015-5-11
Use props
sdtag
lvl.2

United States

yorlik Posted at 2015-5-12 07:08
if u decide to throw it in trash, consider mailing it to me instead;  there seems too many of these  ...

yeah send it to him.
somebody needs to reverse engineer these batteries and come up with a better stronger lighter dumber cheaper battery.
2015-5-11
Use props
dCon0ne
lvl.2

United States

Can you turn the battery ON?    Just as you would, if it were in the Phantom.
2015-5-11
Use props
william.barnhil
New

United States

dCon0ne Posted at 2015-5-12 10:00
Can you turn the battery ON?    Just as you would, if it were in the Phantom.

You can't turn it on.  If you just press the button once the two center lights illuminate and stay on until the button is pressed again.  You can't do the tap and then hold to power up.  Plugging the battery into the P2VP and pressing the button puts the Phantom in a constant "reboot" state, where it starts to make the power up sound, interrupts and does it again and again.  It's very disconcerting.  Thankfully when I bought the P2VP I opted for an additional battery, but I'm still concerned about what might happen the next time I put it on the charger.
2015-5-12
Use props
yorlik
lvl.3

United States

william.barnhil Posted at 2015-5-13 07:40
but I'm still concerned about what might happen the next time I put it on the charger....

know the "charger" is not a "charger:"  it is a crude 12vdc power supply.

the charger is inside the smart battery.  

so do not be concerned over putting either of your batteries on that black power supply thing that plugs into the wall.
2015-5-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would suggest that you contact DJI and see what they say.  
2015-5-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules