Compass Issue
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mikev9999
lvl.1

United States

I understand re-calibrating the compass is vital in some cases. But I thought just landing, turning it all off and then back on again shouldn't make it say "Calibration required". Everytime I turn the system off and back on it needs to be calibrated again. So for right now, I calibrate it everytime I turn it on.
Also, during the last flight today, while up and away about 75 ft, I pressed the RTH function just testing it. Instead of it coming back to me it went straight up and then further away. I was able to manually control it and bring it back. I was very able to land with no issue, but once I looked down at the app it had another Compass error. Which makes sense; it kind of sounds like it lost the compass settings while in the air. I had good manual control but it couldn't do anything on its own.

Facts: P3Advanced; Firmware 1.1.8 successful everywhere; iOS app 1.1.1; iPad mini

Any advice, suggestions, or help would be greatly appreciated.
2015-5-10
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Each time I land, moving the quad or not, before powering it OFF or not, I have a compass error on the next start which seems to disappear after IMU warming-up. To be sure, I calibrate before takeoff.
Also each time I gently hand catch the quad instead of landing it I have a compass error.  
2015-5-10
Use props
mikev9999
lvl.1

United States

I visited my local dealer today and had them check the aircraft over completely. They did advanced diags and an advanced IMU Configuration. They said that sometimes helps this issue. I'm going out to test in a while. But just turning it on at home the compass does need to be calibrated, but does not show an error. So I have positive thoughts. I'll report back when I know more.
2015-5-10
Use props
mikev9999
lvl.1

United States

Resolved: Compass Issue

Good news! All 3 flights today were great. Very steady and stable. The aircraft flew exactly where I guided it and the RTH worked perfectly. Oh, and absolutely no drift or strange movements. I believe the Advanced IMU Calibration did wonders. No compass errors at all.
2015-5-10
Use props
philnmozz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4054236 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mikev9999 Posted at 2015-5-11 13:49
Good news! All 3 flights today were great. Very steady and stable. The aircraft flew exactly where I ...

Can the advance IMU calibration only be done in store? or can this be done online?
2015-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules