DJI Please Fix Crippled Mavic Air GeoTags
3969 28 2018-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brantel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 294997 ft
United States

The latest v01.00.0400 firmware for the Mavic Air apparently did not address the low resolution GeoTags being imbedded in the MA's images.

DJI, please de-cripple the MA and change the code to allow full resolution GeoTags.

2018-5-3
Use props
GLJones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41381 ft
United States

Might be on purpose for security reasons. I haven’t experimented. Is the error in feet, yards or miles?
2018-5-3
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Russia

I double that. DJI, please give us good geotags in Mavic Air! There is no sensible reason why other DJI drones have them but Mavic Air does not.
2018-5-4
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

GLJones Posted at 2018-5-3 20:55
Might be on purpose for security reasons. I haven’t experimented. Is the error in feet, yards or miles?

Most if not all of the other DJI drones (other than the Spark) have proper high resolution GeoTags.

The Spark and the Air round the lat and lon to the nearest second.  This can lead to errors up to ~30 meters.
2018-5-4
Use props
Jsandgren10
lvl.1

Brantel Posted at 2018-5-4 02:57
Most if not all of the other DJI drones (other than the Spark) have proper high resolution GeoTags.

The Spark and the Air round the lat and lon to the nearest second.  This can lead to errors up to ~30 meters.

Yes DJI this needs to be fixed!!!  The mavic air is useless for any sort of mapping.  Have to borrow my friends mavic pro each time I need to fly an aerial.  This type of information should be made clear in the specifications prior so customers know what they are buying.  

When you use previous drones and everything works fine and you buy the newest model you expect it to have the same internal specs as previous designs since it is not a part of the specs.  No one prior to buying could know that you guys stripped the geo tags down to 1 second which renders it useless for any accurate geotagging for location.
2018-5-7
Use props
Peppe 65
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23599 ft

I completely agree with that. DJI must correct the problem.
2018-5-10
Use props
AlenArturoD
lvl.1

Peru

I also noticed that GPS Altitude is just the flight Altitude.

I flight in the same place with P4P  and Mavic Air

This is the information from P4P

And this is from Mavic Air

If the software allow you to put position manually, you can use exiftool (https://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) with this command: exiftool -csv -r you_image_folder > out.csv
Latitude and Longitud have correct resolution geotags.

SHI should fix this problems, other drones gives the information correctly so I do not understand why Mavic air doesn´t

2018-5-11
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

You'd wonder why this is a "feature" of the low-end of the DJI drone line-up, eh?

This isn't because of an oversight, or a technical reason. This is because they do not want their toy-level drones to be used for non-toy purposes.
2018-5-11
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

rent Posted at 2018-5-11 08:50
You'd wonder why this is a "feature" of the low-end of the DJI drone line-up, eh?

This isn't because of an oversight, or a technical reason. This is because they do not want their toy-level drones to be used for non-toy purposes.

The Mavic Pro does not have these limitations.

The other comment does not even deserve a response.
2018-5-11
Use props
AlenArturoD
lvl.1

Peru

rent Posted at 2018-5-11 08:50

Mavic Air, will never replace a P4P, much less and Inspire and others. Inspire could fly in places where MA would never could. The small sensor of Air would never replace 1'' sensor and so on.

But in order the start exploring the capabilities of mapping and learning would be great to do it small drones. Also considering that other DJI´s "toys" already have these features.
2018-5-11
Use props
Peppe 65
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23599 ft

With this purchase price it is not really a toy.
DJI please give us this option!
2018-5-11
Use props
Jsandgren10
lvl.1

The problem is if DJI is going to cut out things like accurate geotags, elevation data, etc. it should be listed in the specs and description.  If you don't look at the forums and just go off their website you would buy say the Mavic Air not knowing its crippled compared to other consumer based drones.

I had a mavic pro and sold it and bought a mavic air and use drones for some mapping.  If I would have known the air was crippled and useless for mapping I wouldn't have bought it.  So now I'm stuck with it, or sale it at a loss and buy another mavic pro or P4P.
2018-5-15
Use props
Jsandgren10
lvl.1

Jsandgren10 Posted at 2018-5-15 13:14
The problem is if DJI is going to cut out things like accurate geotags, elevation data, etc. it should be listed in the specs and description.  If you don't look at the forums and just go off their website you would buy say the Mavic Air not knowing its crippled compared to other consumer based drones.

I had a mavic pro and sold it and bought a mavic air and use drones for some mapping.  If I would have known the air was crippled and useless for mapping I wouldn't have bought it.  So now I'm stuck with it, or sale it at a loss and buy another mavic pro or P4P.

Still waiting for a response from DJI on this, and why they would cripple the geotags like they did.
2018-5-21
Use props
NITER
lvl.2
Flight distance : 617270 ft
United States

Here to add to the chorus of people who are totally frustrated by the useless Mavic Air geotags.
DJI - FIX THIS!!!!

It renders this drone almost useless for my needs. Once I realized that the exif GPS data was garbage, I felt cheated out of the $800. Huge dissapoinment with DJI.

2018-6-14
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Just wanted to put in my two cents for this one...

Despite all the other serious problems being reported with the Mavic Air and it's latest firmware, I did some testing regarding the geotagging issue reported, and mine actually seems to tag photos with absolute precision. So long as it has 10 GPS satellite locks or more, the geo tags are completely accurate, to within I'd say a few feet if not less.

So my guess is the issue reported by @Brantel and others is yet another FW issue, and not that DJI has actually stripped out this capability.

Cheers
2018-6-14
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

The geotags that image processing software uses to locate an image are rounded to the nearest second by the MA.  The actual GPS exif data is the normal high resolution/high accuracy coordinates.  Unfortunately it is a manual and time consuming process to correct each image.
2018-6-14
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

All other DJI drones (except Spark) carry the geo tags out to 4-7 decimal places for the seconds producing much better accuracy.
2018-6-14
Use props
Brantel
lvl.4
United States

Check out this thread for more details on how DJI has crippled the MA’s geo tags.  Sorry for the multiple post, this mobile client stinks!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=144009
2018-6-14
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Brantel Posted at 2018-6-14 12:05
Check out this thread for more details on how DJI has crippled the MA’s geo tags.  Sorry for the multiple post, this mobile client stinks!

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=144009

OK, I see what you mean now...

Went into Adobe Lightroom where I brought in the DNG raw images from my MA, and sure enough, they are using the shortened GPS coordinates, resulting in captured locations to be off by 10-20 meters for me!

Yeah, this really blows and needs a fix!!!
2018-6-14
Use props
andre.schoeman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 79081 ft

United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-6-14 12:22
OK, I see what you mean now...

Went into Adobe Lightroom where I brought in the DNG raw images from my MA, and sure enough, they are using the shortened GPS coordinates, resulting in captured locations to be off by 10-20 meters for me!

My images also 13-15m out, cant believe no one from Dji replied yet after so many complaints on this issue.
2018-8-19
Use props
AggieBQ86
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18291 ft
United States

andre.schoeman Posted at 2018-8-19 10:50
My images also 13-15m out, cant believe no one from Dji replied yet after so many complaints on this issue.

Has anyone found a way to modify the gps data as a batch? I see the precision is in the metadata but not in the fields mapping software is looking for.
2018-8-25
Use props
andre.schoeman
lvl.1

United States

Dear Andre,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

In regards to the issue you have encountered, wherein "the Photos taken by drone not accurate, is out by 15-30m and this is caused because the Latitude and Longitude ignore some of the decimal values of the seconds reading in the HH:MM:SS value". This has been forwarded to our Research and Development Department, and as per advised, the GPS latitude and Longitude which show in pictures properties will Improve accuracy in the next firmware. Thank you so much for your understanding.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact DJI Europe Support, Mon-Fri 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM (UTC+1) via the following three channels:

Tel Support: +31 20 654 5202
Email: support.nl@dji.com
Online Support: http://www.dji.com/support#after

Have a great day!
DJI Customer Support

YouTube: http://s.dji.com/Youtube-DJI
2018-8-29
Use props
den232
lvl.2
Flight distance : 193730 ft
United States

andre.schoeman Posted at 2018-8-29 08:56
Dear Andre,

Thank you for contacting DJI Support.

Good work Andre.   Please advise if you see an improvement on the next firmware (I presume you are running  v01.00.0400 now).  Thanks jb
2018-9-2
Use props
ChrisKiwi
lvl.1

New Zealand

Just done the update and the exif data looks way more accurate. Will be flying a photogramtry mission tomorrow. So hopefully all will be well. Unless the update crashes the thing
2018-9-30
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

ChrisKiwi Posted at 2018-9-30 21:43
Just done the update and the exif data looks way more accurate. Will be flying a photogramtry mission tomorrow. So hopefully all will be well. Unless the update crashes the thing

Let us know if .500 fixed it for you
2018-10-1
Use props
ygor
lvl.4
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

it seems .500 fixed it, at least for me on preliminary tests...

2018-10-1
Use props
andre.schoeman
lvl.1

South Africa

Good morning all,

Just did a test and the images now allow the full decimal value for the lat long and will test it by stitching the photos today, see attached image.

Regards',

Andre

2018-10-4
Use props
Cleatus Van Dam
New

Hi guys,

I wish my coordinates were only off by 15-30m... The Exif data of any photos taken from my MA output coordinates somewhere off of the coast of Israel (~31 deg N, 35 deg E); given this, I must have broken a BVLOS  record since the flight mission was flown in Alberta, Canada...

I am not interested in breaking any records at the moment, all i want is to create an accurate map.

Can anyone provide any further insight?

Thanks!

2019-9-3
Use props
cutis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1695351 ft

My mavic air always made the mark for rth. You watch it descend from high up. It makes corrections to the mark automatically,  using both, the pics & coarse satellites.  It works that way always. And that audio does always say home point recorded, not precision home point either.
2019-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules