Takes a lickin' but kept on tickin'
474 5 2018-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
akAir
lvl.1
United States

Just a word of warning when flying, don't forget to watch for overhead obstructions! I was flying very carefully through thick woods on a narrow trail near my house, drone out of sight but only 100 meters away. I encountered downed trees blocking my path. I thought I had backed up to a clear enough spot in the trail and started to ascend. What I didn't account for were other downed trees that had blown over higher above and were resting against other trees. So as I climbed suddenly the props are chewing through pine needles and the camara goes crazy and I expect to see the drone plummeting towards the ground. It didn't. It suddenly stabilized and was flying fine. I tried again to "look around" and figured I was high enough and the trees should be getting narrower at the top (they're conifers) so I started to ascend again. Then suddenly once more the props are chewing through pine needles and the camera view is spinning and wobbling and I expect to see the ground coming at me. But nope. Just stabilized and was flying fine.

I brought it home and inspected it but the only indication of its ordeal was some very slight abbrasions on the leading edge of a couple of props. Whew! This was a week ago and it's been flying fine ever since. Lesson learned. I know the trail (it's on my property) and I know the trees that were down across the trail slightly above my eye level and I was practicing flying through these thick woods using only the camera and sensors. When I walked the trail I failed to look UP. I wasn't planning on ascending through the trees but I thought I could. The trees here are anywhere from 10 to 30 meters high and my encounter was with a very tall tree that had blown over but it's top was resting on other trees on the other side of the trail 70 feet above.

Live and learn, but still very impressed that the drone went completely wonkers at impact yet zeroed itself perfectly. Twice. Nice.
2018-5-6
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Dodged the bullet there!!!
2018-5-6
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Yes, my Air also hit tree by accident and it stable itself immediately. Only a few scrap on prop but I changed it for safety. Need to be very careful fly below the tree. Better not through the video. Did you turn on the APAS?
2018-5-6
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Very close call not once but twice.  Glad it was able to recover both times.  
2018-5-6
Use props
akAir
lvl.1
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-5-6 07:29
Yes, my Air also hit tree by accident and it stable itself immediately. Only a few scrap on prop but I changed it for safety. Need to be very careful fly below the tree. Better not through the video. Did you turn on the APAS?

No, I didn't want APAS on as I was really threading the needle between and over/under trees. I was using the sensors and radar only to fly. Practicing for later as I want to be able to fly along a trail that is too tight for any of the automated modes.
2018-5-6
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Been there done that. Glad it all worked out for you.
2018-5-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules