My PV2 Plus went for a swim today.
2468 14 2014-10-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MICAHKITER
lvl.1

Australia

NOT HAPPY..... My PV2 Plus went for a swim today.
Today started well exhausted one battery flying around taking some photos of a friends house.
Everything worked as it should and we got some great photos.
We live on a canal system so we took Grahams boat out in the middle of the lake.
I launched from the deck of the boat without a problem, I had 10 satellites and 100% battery.
Then two minutes into the flight my PV2 Plus became non-responsive and started to what look like a controlled descent.
Unfortunately a quad was 50 m away and only 10 m altitude.
We manoeuvred the boat as quickly as we could to save my P2V Plus from hitting the water.
I jumped into the water just as it hit the surface it quickly sank, I managed to just grab it before it sank in 10 m of water.
I am not a newbie I have been flying RC aircraft for over 20 years and have had phantom first-generation, Phantom Vision and phantom vision 2 plus.
I look after and service my gear religiously.
It just frustrates me so much that I have lost my P2Vplus because of system failure.
I removed the battery instantly raced home pulled her apart and used an air compressor to blow her dry.
My PV2 Plus is currently in a sealed bag of raw rice, hoping to draw moisture away from the circuitry.
I was going to go to my local electronic shop and buy some circuit board cleaner ,do you guys think this would help ?
Or am I wasting my time as she landed in saltwater.
Advice would be much appreciated
Micah

2014-10-31
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

did you wash it with fresh water first to get rid of Salt residue?
Make sure to put the battery somewhere where it cannot cause any fire, just a safety precaution.

2014-10-31
Use props
mixstreme
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Salt water, Expect the worst.....
Quick intervention is very important in salvage, and that's really what this is now...
Chuck that battery or dispose of it responsibly I should say.....get it stripped and washed down in distilled water, Your not just fighting water,  salt is conductive, corrosive etc. ....  try the repacking it with rice thing, All methods available by searching online.  Your choices as all have no guarantees.

Using the reclaimed parts also have no guarantee's.

Leave to dry in a warm place for a week, moving it daily to check warmth and agitate any remainders of moisture.  

But don't expect a fully working bird.....
Test and rebuild.......

Truly horrible.....
2014-10-31
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

That sucks!  Davy Jones' Locker has one of my Phantom 2s, FPV, gimbal and GP Hero 3+ Blk.  

Agree with above, if there is any hope, the salt has to go.

How may cycles on your battery?  I lost a different Phantom 2 because it low-battery landed at what was reported on iOSD as between 60 and 70%.  As a result, I no longer trust batteries over 75 cycles.
2014-10-31
Use props
MICAHKITER
lvl.1

Australia

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-1 04:11
did you wash it with fresh water first to get rid of Salt residue?
Make sure to put the battery some ...

Hi swomilian....Putting it in freshwater did cross my mind, but decided on washing it with alcohol instead.  
Yes I put my Battery straight in a Lipo fireproof bag and then put it in my barbecue and pulled the hood down.
2014-10-31
Use props
MICAHKITER
lvl.1

Australia

mixstreme Posted at 2014-11-1 04:27
Salt water, Expect the worst.....
Quick intervention is very important in salvage, and that's really ...

Hi mixstreme....Yes I agree. I don't expect to have a full functioning  phantom. It would be great to salvage some parts.
Looking at the camera I don't think any water got inside the camera itself, might be lucky. In regard to the battery I might strip the plastic outer casing and keep it for  spare parts.
2014-10-31
Use props
MICAHKITER
lvl.1

Australia

away-point Posted at 2014-11-1 05:02
That sucks!  Davy Jones' Locker has one of my Phantom 2s, FPV, gimbal and GP Hero 3+ Blk.  

Agree w ...

Good point, unfortunately the battery was brand-new and only use three times.
2014-10-31
Use props
MICAHKITER
lvl.1

Australia

I managed to dry out my SD card it works perfectly, unfortunately the video was still recording.
As we all know if you are recording video without hitting the stop button it doesn't give the file a chance to finalise.
Does anybody have any ideas on how to finalise the video on my SD card, The Video would be worth watching.
I have tried finalising the video by putting my SD card into a ( Phantom2 vision) but it didn't work, possibly because it's a different camera to my ( Phantom2 vision plus ).
I have googled video repair software, but can't justify forking out $80 for two minutes of video.
I would really like to view what happened on board previous to her going for a swim.
It may prevent further unauthorised landings.
PS  preferOS X software as I am running a Mac.
Thanks in advance
2014-10-31
Use props
kowtow1
lvl.1

United States

My P2V+ will be arriving on Tuesday and I can't wait, but a part of me is paranoid as hell!

When I keep hearing these stories of quads just taking a dive or doing a fly away it's scares the crap out of me.  I have never heard anyone provide a decent root cause for why these things happen.  The owners are left dumbfounded and without a $1,000 quad to fly.  

All that I keep hearing about is make sure you have the latest FW, always calibrate your quad before flight, make sure you have GPS lock before take off, etc., but regardless these catastrophic events just keep happening.

I would pay a pretty decent amount of money to see DJI's internal list of known issues.  I'm sure these "events" aren't entirely environment, or pilot related.
2014-10-31
Use props
MICAHKITER
lvl.1

Australia

kowtow1@hotmail Posted at 2014-11-1 08:17
My P2V+ will be arriving on Tuesday and I can't wait, but a part of me is paranoid as hell!

When I  ...

HaHa .. I hear you there kowtow1.
I am always nervous before a flight, I think it's a good thing.
It makes you check and double-check flightless before taking off.
You have to remember thousands of people fly thousands of flights every day without issue's.
As I said previously, this is my third generation of  phantom without issues.
Sorry I take that back , my Phantom2 Vision Plus Wi-Fi module failed a few months ago so rather than go through the tedious warranty game.
I purchased one out right and cost me AU$380.00.
Apart from that no previous issues that one highlight error.
2014-10-31
Use props
kowtow1
lvl.1

United States

That's good to hear.  I sold my buddy a P2V+ I had ordered this week.  I didn't want it because it was the "old" version and I wanted the upgraded motors, esc, controller, compass, etc.  Anyway to make a long story short he's flown it like three times (newbie like me) and on the second flight he got it up to 30 feet or so and then he lost control and the damn thing retraced it's path back towards him, went past him and it crashed on the road.  He had no control over the quad and the controller didn't do anything when he was pushing the sticks.

He's trying to say it happened because there is an airport about 3 miles away and he must have got to an elevation that caused it to fall into the "red zone."  I don't buy it, but I sure as hell can't explain why it got a mind of it's own and decided to try for a suicide move.  I wasn't there, so I can't vouch for any preflight stuff.  I do believe he had no control over it and that scares the shit out of me to have no control.  It's bad enough I have no control over my wife, but my damn quad should be under my TOTAL control.  Hell that's why we buy these things... we're control freaks.
2014-10-31
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Oh man, a brand new battery to boot.  All the more frustrating!

Not knowing what went wrong is almost as aggravating as loosing the $$$$ investment.   After all, it would be nice to at least learn something.  Something to be aware of.  Something to avoid doing again.

However, as someone in the hobby said, "don't fly anything you can't afford to loose."  I guess that about sizes it up.  If you fly, sooner or later it will happen to you.

The list of possible crash causes is even longer than the long list of components which comprise these complex flying machines.  There is zero redundancy in these things, and most parts are critical to flight.  It's no wonder things go wrong from time to time.

Not to cast any doubt on anyone's myserteous control losses, but in a clinical, by the numbers assessment, I bet a significant number of these incidents are at minimum, pilot induced.  It only takes a split second of indecision or misinterpretation to head things in a bad direction.  And it is at this very moment, the moment when tensions are building exponentially, an accurate understanding of where your fingers are pushing the sticks can largely only be accomplished by an experienced pilot.  Someone who can always "keep their head in the cockpit" without even thinking.  If you have to stop to think, you crash.
In the meantime, enjoy the footage you've already captured, and good luck getting back in the air!  

Here's some of my summer flights...  

2014-10-31
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

MICAHKITER Posted at 2014-11-1 06:44
I managed to dry out my SD card it works perfectly, unfortunately the video was still recording.
As  ...

See if this can fix you video file
2014-10-31
Use props
palak.desai
lvl.1

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-11-1 11:20
See if this can fix you video file

ive read that before and it worked
2014-11-1
Use props