12Next >
1831 64 2018-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HendrikJB
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2132792 ft
South Africa

Somewhere I got a glimpse of who`d like to have a separate forum heading for each of the Mavic Spark, Air, Pro and just am trying to see if it is viable?
Please cast a vote, I`ll personally appreciate your participation.
Single SelectVote, Total 57 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

0.00% (0)
31.58% (18)
68.42% (39)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-5-8
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

Just a Mavic Pro for me. The only drone I've ever had and it is an absolute beauty of a machine.
2018-5-8
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Folkestone Posted at 2018-5-8 03:10
Just a Mavic Pro for me. The only drone I've ever had and it is an absolute beauty of a machine.

Same, same.
2018-5-8
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
United Kingdom

Doesn't stop me wanting a fully loaded inspire 2 mind. Just need to save a few more pennies.
2018-5-8
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Folkestone Posted at 2018-5-8 03:44
Doesn't stop me wanting a fully loaded inspire 2 mind. Just need to save a few more pennies.

It would in my case require a full year's savings and not spending money on anything else.
Will never happen... would be nice though.
2018-5-8
Use props
Far_North
Second Officer
Flight distance : 278379 ft
Canada

MPP for me.  I've had a few but the MPP is easily the best.
2018-5-8
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Yup MPP. But I started with a trusty Spark and still its a fun machine to fly!
2018-5-8
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
United Kingdom

FlyDK Posted at 2018-5-8 03:47
It would in my case require a full year's savings and not spending money on anything else.
Will never happen... would be nice though.

Who knows. Maybe the DJI mods on here will send us one each as a reward for our excellent posting.

2018-5-8
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I can't choose, I have both and both are exceptional aircraft. Now if you were to ask my wife, she would state her air, she loves it.
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Folkestone Posted at 2018-5-8 03:10
Just a Mavic Pro for me. The only drone I've ever had and it is an absolute beauty of a machine.

Thank you for your reply.
This is not case of which is better.  Each one to his/her own.
I had another knock-off previously and now own an Air which for me is as good as it gets.
Thanks again
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-8 04:31
I can't choose, I have both and both are exceptional aircraft. Now if you were to ask my wife, she would state her air, she loves it.

it not about which is better it is just a poll to see whether it would be viable to ask for separate categories.
BTW I`m planning on visiting the Giant`s Causeway sometime early next year.
2018-5-8
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

Won't choose among my 'children' ... I have other aircraft and each has a place in my heart, depending on the weather, the time of day, and which one is behaving at the time I want to fly :-)
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

WebParrot Posted at 2018-5-8 05:06
Won't choose among my 'children' ... I have other aircraft and each has a place in my heart, depending on the weather, the time of day, and which one is behaving at the time I want to fly :-)

Good for you.  You`ve just succeeded in make me jealous.  You a retired billionaire?
2018-5-8
Use props
WebParrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 23625 ft
  • >>>
United States

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-8 05:08
Good for you.  You`ve just succeeded in make me jealous.  You a retired billionaire?

Years of accumulated 'stuff' :-)
When I retired I got rid of the car with 4-wheel drive ( rural living and lots of snow ).  All the proceeds from the sale is reserved for "toys!"
2018-5-8
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-8 05:06
it not about which is better it is just a poll to see whether it would be viable to ask for separate categories.
BTW I`m planning on visiting the Giant`s Causeway sometime early next year.

I get what you are saying, but if that was the case many 'new members/owners' would loose out on the wealth of knowledge from the many Mavic Pro and Platinum owners who post in the Mavic category who have beta tested prior to release of the air. Categories quite rightly have been left as Mavic and changing it in my opinion would be detrimental to the good of the community.

The Giant's Causeway is a spectacular place you'll love it there. Be sure to visit as much of Ireland as you can, it's a stunning country.
2018-5-8
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Both here, I like them both but I would choose the Pro if you made me decide between them
2018-5-8
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I have 2 Mavic Pros and a Tello. Is that worth anything? MP is an absolutely awesome machine. The forums are good the way they are, IMO...
2018-5-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've had the Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 4 Pro, Spark FMC, Mavic Pro FMC, Mavic Pro Alpine White Combo - all sold.
Currently have the Mavic Pro Platinum and recently bought the Mavic Air FMC. The Mavic Air is my favourite drone I have ever owned.
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

WebParrot Posted at 2018-5-8 05:19
Years of accumulated 'stuff' :-)
When I retired I got rid of the car with 4-wheel drive ( rural living and lots of snow ).  All the proceeds from the sale is reserved for "toys!"

Nice one :-)
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-8 06:17
I've had the Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 4 Pro, Spark FMC, Mavic Pro FMC, Mavic Pro Alpine White Combo - all sold.
Currently have the Mavic Pro Platinum and recently bought the Mavic Air FMC. The Mavic Air is my favourite drone I have ever owned.

I`m glad to hear that as it is my first "proper" quadcopter.
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-8 05:30
I get what you are saying, but if that was the case many 'new members/owners' would loose out on the wealth of knowledge from the many Mavic Pro and Platinum owners who post in the Mavic category who have beta tested prior to release of the air. Categories quite rightly have been left as Mavic and changing it in my opinion would be detrimental to the good of the community.

The Giant's Causeway is a spectacular place you'll love it there. Be sure to visit as much of Ireland as you can, it's a stunning country.

You got a point there about the experience. Don`t think that I thought about it really.
Very positive reply that.
2018-5-8
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

I have only the MP and love it.  I will give my opinion on what I think about separating out MA and MP.  I do not think it is a good idea and here is why.  Myself even though I only have the MP I still learn a lot about the MA with all of the great advice here given and would assume it would be the same for say a MA owner can see all of the great data/advice for MP.  This way if I do ever end up getting a MA or say someone that owns a MA decides they may want a MP they should already have a ton of knowledge on it instead of now having to go to a different part of the forum.  That is my opinion.  I think it is great the way it is.
2018-5-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-8 06:52
I`m glad to hear that as it is my first "proper" quadcopter.

It is an excellent drone. Great to start out on but also gives beautiful images and less compressed footage than some of the more expensive models for any pilot/photographer to use and has the best gimbal out of all of those drones that I have owned.
Obviously the MP has OcySync, the MPP gives out nearly half an hour of flight time and is very quiet and the P4P has a 1" 20mp sensor capable of DCI 4K @ 60p with a mechanical shutter and variable aperture and the Spark is designed to take off from your hand. Overall well, try flying a P4P at a park on a Sunday afternoon and somebody will call the police. The 4K footage on the MP leaves a lot to be desired due to the video bit rate of 60MBPS. The basic WiFi transmission system on the Spark borderlines dangerous IMO. They are all great drones offering different strengths and weaknesses to match what is important to the individual buying it. I'm sure we'll see an MP2 and P5 later in the year that will blow all of these drones down a notch and so it will continue.
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-8 07:01
I have only the MP and love it.  I will give my opinion on what I think about separating out MA and MP.  I do not think it is a good idea and here is why.  Myself even though I only have the MP I still learn a lot about the MA with all of the great advice here given and would assume it would be the same for say a MA owner can see all of the great data/advice for MP.  This way if I do ever end up getting a MA or say someone that owns a MA decides they may want a MP they should already have a ton of knowledge on it instead of now having to go to a different part of the forum.  That is my opinion.  I think it is great the way it is.

Thank you for your message.  I did not think of that.  I actually only thought that with everyone using one category that it may be difficult to find a specific topic. But yes your`s is a valid option.
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-8 07:09
It is an excellent drone. Great to start out on but also gives beautiful images and less compressed footage than some of the more expensive models for any pilot/photographer to use and has the best gimbal out of all of those drones that I have owned.
Obviously the MP has OcySync, the MPP gives out nearly half an hour of flight time and is very quiet and the P4P has a 1" 20mp sensor capable of DCI 4K @ 60p with a mechanical shutter and variable aperture and the Spark is designed to take off from your hand. Overall well, try flying a P4P at a park on a Sunday afternoon and somebody will call the police. The 4K footage on the MP leaves a lot to be desired due to the video bit rate of 60MBPS. The basic WiFi transmission system on the Spark borderlines dangerous IMO. They are all great drones offering different strengths and weaknesses to match what is important to the individual buying it. I'm sure we'll see an MP2 and P5 later in the year that will blow all of these drones down a notch and so it will continue.

Yeah, you are correct.
However for me there are only 2 really important features that I need and talking money IMHO the Air was the better buy FOR MY APPLICATION

1.  Follow Me
2.  Flying security missions (only available with some 3rd P software) though I was under the impression that it was a default option for the Air.
2018-5-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-8 07:15
Yeah, you are correct.
However for me there are only 2 really important features that I need and talking money IMHO the Air was the better buy FOR MY APPLICATION

Follow me? Why would you want that when you have the most advanced active track flight mode on all of these drones. I used follow me back in 2016 on my P3P and it was crap then. It just creates a tether from the GPS module in your device to the drone so follows your mobile (that you happen to be carrying or it won't follow anything). If the tether is broken the mode cancels out. I used it twice in what must be over a thousand flights. Active track is way more advanced.
What is security missions BTW?  
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-8 07:21
Follow me? Why would you want that when you have the most advanced active track flight mode on all of these drones. I used follow me back in 2016 on my P3P and it was crap then. It just creates a tether from the GPS module in your device to the drone so follows your mobile (that you happen to be carrying or it won't follow anything). If the tether is broken the mode cancels out. I used it twice in what must be over a thousand flights. Active track is way more advanced.
What is security missions BTW?

Hey CW now you see why I`m always harping on learning more

I use it for motorcycle training.  I`m the only multiple internationally trained and certified motorcycle rider instructor in South Africa and I`m the only person in South Africa that hold the Advanced Motorcycle Instructor Certificate from the UK.
I was trained by both RoSPA and IAM Instructors in Wales.
https://www.rospa.com/safety-tra ... rcycle-instruction/

2018-5-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-8 07:42
Hey CW now you see why I`m always harping on learning more

I use it for motorcycle training.  I`m the only multiple internationally trained and certified motorcycle rider instructor in South Africa and I`m the only person in South Africa that hold the Advanced Motorcycle Instructor Certificate from the UK.

Wow - that's impressive mate - active track is what you need for that for sure! My Step-Dad has a Harley!
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

A CW Posted at 2018-5-8 08:00
Wow - that's impressive mate - active track is what you need for that for sure! My Step-Dad has a Harley!

CW Bro I told you that I have a lot to learn
Our Son lives in NZ and we went there for a visit mid-February 2018 to first week of April 2018.  I was`nt planning on buy a quadcopter of any type till I saw a special for the Fly More Combo`s.  I checked it out and for me the Air seemed to be the  better option with the little I knew at the time.  The Pro was financially just outside of my league and I really liked the small form factor of the Air.  The then price was 23% cheaper than in South Africa just before the price drop the next week.  However it was still significantly cheaper (I bought at the pre-price drop) that it is now here in CT.
So I bought it more on a whim than a need but what clinched it for me was the follow feature without having to use the controller. Thus here I am at, learning a lot no small thanks to your comments and advice
2018-5-8
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-8 08:18
CW Bro I told you that I have a lot to learn
Our Son lives in NZ and we went there for a visit mid-February 2018 to first week of April 2018.  I was`nt planning on buy a quadcopter of any type till I saw a special for the Fly More Combo`s.  I checked it out and for me the Air seemed to be the  better option with the little I knew at the time.  The Pro was financially just outside of my league and I really liked the small form factor of the Air.  The then price was 23% cheaper than in South Africa just before the price drop the next week.  However it was still significantly cheaper (I bought at the pre-price drop) that it is now here in CT.
So I bought it more on a whim than a need but what clinched it for me was the follow feature without having to use the controller. Thus here I am at, learning a lot no small thanks to your comments and advice

No worries - this forum is a good place to return to for hints and tips (from most anyway).
2018-5-8
Use props
Dorset_Horn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 93379 ft

As I've stated elsewhere, I'm too scared to take my Mavic Pro on a plane to Italy this year. I feel there's too many things that might end up with me coming home drone-less. I wonder whether buying and taking a Tello is better than nothing, or just take my camera and climb a tree...
Any thoughts?
2018-5-8
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
United Kingdom

I had no issues taking my drone to Italy. Went on as hand luggage with BA through Gatwick and back as hand luggage through Verona. Not a single question asked about a bag that only contained electronics, wires and batteries.

Sadly, it was a wasted journey as it rained or was insanely foggy the whole time I was there so it stayed in the bag!

Like this.
2018-5-8
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

M2Wair Posted at 2018-5-8 05:30
I get what you are saying, but if that was the case many 'new members/owners' would loose out on the wealth of knowledge from the many Mavic Pro and Platinum owners who post in the Mavic category who have beta tested prior to release of the air. Categories quite rightly have been left as Mavic and changing it in my opinion would be detrimental to the good of the community.

I agree.  I feel like i've learned a great deal from the Mavic Pro pilots that I would not have learned if there were a separate section.  I find my self just browsing the forum and soaking it all in.
2018-5-8
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft

Pro for me and I LOVE it..
2018-5-8
Use props
Duncandonut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

Both the Spark and Mavic Pro me. However the Mavic Pro is without doubt my favourite. The Spark is a great little drone that is fun to fly (especially in sports mode), its limiting factor is its range. Here in the UK there are times when I could only get around 40-50mtrs. The Mavic Pro is on another level altogether with its Ocu-Sync technology. If I were to recommend a drone to someone it would be the Mavic all the way.
2018-5-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Own them all, and enjoy them all, but if I were down to just one... I'd take the Mavic Air.
2018-5-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I have the Spark and Mavic Pro - my opinion is they are the best of both worlds. The Mavic Air is kind of a jack of all trades master of none for me, not saying it's not excellent. I think the Mavic Air suits the Mavic Pro as a better combination of the two drones, but it's kind of costly at $999 when you could almost buy both the Spark and Mavic Pro together. I think paying almost the same or little more for absolutely more of a total package, is in my opinion the better choice.
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-5-8 10:38
Own them all, and enjoy them all, but if I were down to just one... I'd take the Mavic Air.

Thank you for your comment however people must understand that I`m not trying to create a rift, I`ve just toed the "water" so to speak.
2018-5-8
Use props
HendrikJB
Second Officer
South Africa

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-5-8 11:18
I have the Spark and Mavic Pro - my opinion is they are the best of both worlds. The Mavic Air is kind of a jack of all trades master of none for me, not saying it's not excellent. I think the Mavic Air suits the Mavic Pro as a better combination of the two drones, but it's kind of costly at $999 when you could almost buy both the Spark and Mavic Pro together. I think paying almost the same or little more for absolutely more of a total package, is in my opinion the better choice.

Again I agree.
I have 3 different Ducati motorcycles that cater for 3 different riding environments and it would be difficult to choose just one as the "best" or "ultimate" as each is to it`s own!
2018-5-8
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

HendrikJB Posted at 2018-5-8 11:43
Thank you for your comment however people must understand that I`m not trying to create a rift, I`ve just toed the "water" so to speak.

Who's rifting friend?
2018-5-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules