Drone Repair - DJI Support Rocks!
3515 33 2018-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

I crashed my MP about 6 weeks ago and i am still going through the repair process. I bought a new Mavic Part#42 (MP and battery only) to keep the demons away while i wait. But i thought ya'll might want to see a quick comparison of 2 repair shops. Maybe by sharing my experience, you wont make the same mistake I did. Yep, I took one for the team...

So i sent my MP to Drone Nerds. I read a couple good reviews someplace and they are a DJI partner. I thought it was a good idea. NOT! They waited 15 business days from the time they received it to the time they quoted the repair job. Thats 3 weeks just sitting on the bench. The quote came back for a whopping $710 USD. Of course they offered to waive the $60 dollar diagnostic if i bought one of their refurb MP's for $799. I politely asked them to send it back. That ordeal cost me $102 USD. $60 diagnostic, $12 for me to ship to them, and $30 for them to ship to me. Yes, they make money on shipping. *grunt*

I opened a case with DJI online. They paid for shipping to their shop in Texas. They sent me a quote 3 days after they received it. The quote was for $234 USD, which includes 2 hours labor and shipping. I promptly paid and the work is being done as I type this.

The estimates came back very different. Nerds wanted to replace both rear arms at $143 each. DJI gets $19 each. Nerds wanted $389 for a new gimbal/camera assembly. They said mine was FUBAR. DJI will replace the gimbal arm assembly for $59. I posted the 2 quotes for your enjoyment...

This is the DJI quote...

DJI Repair Quote

DJI Repair Quote

This is Drone Nerds quote...

Drone Nerds Repair Quote

Drone Nerds Repair Quote

Thanks DJI. You might want to look into your "partners" shops. I don't think they are doing you any favors.

2018-5-8
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

HyLenz,
Thanks for the information.
I hope it helps others to decide where they want their repairs done.
Sharing your experience with DJI was worth noting.  
2018-5-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

What a rip off, sounds like they just wanted to sell you a refurb, good job dji..
2018-5-8
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

This just confirms that DJI is the only place to send for repairs.  That other crown have shot themselves in the foot $710 what a joke. but not funny.
2018-5-8
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for posting this information, I'm sorry you had to incur the additional expense with the other repair dealer although glad DJI was able to help you out. Keep us posted on how your completed repair goes, cheers.
2018-5-8
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Yeah I have heard others post bad reviews about Drone Nerds.  Glad you got it sorted.
2018-5-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we are so sorry for the unpleasant experience with the dealer, please help to verify the details of the Drone Nerds, is it located in 20614 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura Florida 33180? This issue will be reported to the management department for attention. We will keep improving our dealer's customer service. GTScreenshot_20180509_111413.png
2018-5-8
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-5-8 19:20
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, we are so sorry for the unpleasant experience with the dealer, please help to verify the details of the Drone Nerds, is it located in 20614 Biscayne Blvd, Aventura Florida 33180? This issue will be reported to the management department for attention. We will keep improving our dealer's customer service.[view_image]

Mindy, I believe you are correct, but they had me ship to his address:RMA# 103689
Drone Nerds – Repair Center
2646 NE 189th Ter
Miami, Florida 33180

This is their signature on the emails. The phone number is the same as you posted.
Drone Nerds Service Team
www.DroneNerds.com
Call today: 786-708-7807

They did say right from the start that there would be a wait time of about 14 business days. They used every bit of it. The bigger issue to me was i felt like their primary goal was to get me into a refurbished unit by pricing the estimate very close to the refurb price. And the shipping thing kind of got me ruffled. Why should they make $20 profit on shipping after charging me $60 for an erroneous diagnostic?  They were nice enough about it, there was no heated exchange of words. Though i really wanted to tell them how i felt, i figured posting here would have more effect. Thanks for your attention. I had a feeling i should have sent it to DJI Repair in the first place. Maybe we can save some pilots the same aggravation i went through.

2018-5-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

HyLenz Posted at 2018-5-9 05:02
Mindy, I believe you are correct, but they had me ship to his address:RMA# 103689
Drone Nerds – Repair Center
2646 NE 189th Ter

Thanks for the details, since the dealer doesn't have the ability to repair the gimbal precisely, usually, the gimbal will be replaced by them.
Your experience with the dealer will be forwarded to the appropriate department for attention, we will keep improving the customer service of the dealer to make it more professional, if there is any issue with the DJI product, it is recommended to contact official DJI support for assistance to avoid any unnecessary troubles. Hope you will have a better experience with all DJI support channel.

2018-5-9
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-5-9 22:30
Thanks for the details, since the dealer doesn't have the ability to repair the gimbal precisely, usually, the gimbal will be replaced by them.
Your experience with the dealer will be forwarded to the appropriate department for attention, we will keep improving the customer service of the dealer to make it more professional, if there is any issue with the DJI product, it is recommended to contact official DJI support for assistance to avoid any unnecessary troubles. Hope you will have a better experience with all DJI support channel.

Mindy, I agree about using DJI for support. Lesson learned.  It seems like the Nerds are using the DJI name simply to generate profit by being associated with you. They are not DJI quality, IMO, and therefore you should not allow them to claim they are a DJI approved service center. Being a DJI partner makes it sound like their work and service is equal to DJI direct. That is not true. You stated yourself that they are not capable of repairing the unit correctly. DJI is way out ahead of them with regards to quality work, pricing, and time to repair.  DJI has received, diagnosed, repaired, got paid and shipped in about a week. My drone sat at the Nerds shop for 3 weeks before they even looked at it. Thanks for listening.
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

HyLenz Posted at 2018-5-10 06:56
Mindy, I agree about using DJI for support. Lesson learned.  It seems like the Nerds are using the DJI name simply to generate profit by being associated with you. They are not DJI quality, IMO, and therefore you should not allow them to claim they are a DJI approved service center. Being a DJI partner makes it sound like their work and service is equal to DJI direct. That is not true. You stated yourself that they are not capable of repairing the unit correctly. DJI is way out ahead of them with regards to quality work, pricing, and time to repair.  DJI has received, diagnosed, repaired, got paid and shipped in about a week. My drone sat at the Nerds shop for 3 weeks before they even looked at it. Thanks for listening.

You're very welcome. Mindy has forwarded this to the management for more attention. We'll keep learning and improve the dealer service as well. Anyway, we're nice to hear the drone works now. Happy flying!
2018-5-10
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46578 ft
United States

Hello, I would like to thank the originator of this post. I recently crashed my drone and have brought it to drone nerds. I read good and bad reviews and decided to take the chance since are a 30 min drive for me. Communication is good, but I am concerned I may be getting ripped off and thought I would post here. HyLenz if you are reading I would love to know if you are still happy with Dji's repairs. I did hit a cement building at least about 7 stories up so it might need the gimbal. But then again if I send it to dji they may be able to repair it. Drone nerds said DJI is closed for rpairs due to the coronavirus and that DJI is shipping drones to them for repairs. Is this true?  What do you out there think, I should wait and send to DJI?. The repair estimate I received is below.  camera/gimbal($689) + new rear right arm($189) + $878.  I have local businesses I intend to help out with my footage and would love to get back in the air ASAP.   Many thanks.

Hi Barbara,

We have finished diagnosing your Mavic 2 and this is what we found.

After diagnosing this drone we have come to the conclusion that this Mavic 2 Pro will need anew camera/gimbal($689) and a new rear right arm($189). The camera is unresponsive and will not calibrate, the camera/gimbal is damaged and will need to be replaced. The rear arm detached from the drone and is damaged beyond repair, the arm will need to be replaced. The total repair will be $878.

Please let us know how you would like to move forward with this drone, if you have any questions feel free to contact me at (786)708-7807 #EXT 8332.

Please either respond to this email or call us at 786-708-7807. Please reference RMA #122336 when you call. We will begin repairs once we have your authorization.

Thanks,
Joshua
Drone Nerds Service Team
2020-5-8
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

Anyone have the Dji's repair center in Texas contact information?
2020-5-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

barbelle Posted at 5-8 21:58
Anyone have the Dji's repair center in Texas contact information?

Hi Barbara, we apologize to read your experience with the Drone Nerds, for the Mavic 2, our repair center is still available for the repair service. If you would like to send in the drone to DJI repair center for the service, you could start a ticket online https://repair.dji.com/repair/index and we will send you the shipping label as long as your address is eligible for it, then send back at your most convenience.
For the false information given by Drone Nerds, we will forward to the appropriate team for attention.
2020-5-9
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

Thank you, Mindy, for your response. Its truly appreciated. I want to make sure I don't give incorrect information. Drone nerds gave me the impression DJI was closed but they very well could have said DJI was backed up and that DJI was sending them drones to repair. Because in hindsight they did offer to ship my drone to DJI for me if given them the shipping label and I remember considering it. I haven't determined what to do just yet. It depends on how backed up DJI is. I don't want them to get mad at me at this point by any discussion to them. If I do send it to DJI, I will pick it up and send it myself, just because I want to know the condition it is in before I send it. Thanks again Mindy.

Can you give an idea of how backed up things are please?
2020-5-9
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

can I send it in my drone for repair in the hard case that came in the kit?
2020-5-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

barbelle Posted at 5-9 08:03
Thank you, Mindy, for your response. Its truly appreciated. I want to make sure I don't give incorrect information. Drone nerds gave me the impression DJI was closed but they very well could have said DJI was backed up and that DJI was sending them drones to repair. Because in hindsight they did offer to ship my drone to DJI for me if given them the shipping label and I remember considering it. I haven't determined what to do just yet. It depends on how backed up DJI is. I don't want them to get mad at me at this point by any discussion to them. If I do send it to DJI, I will pick it up and send it myself, just because I want to know the condition it is in before I send it. Thanks again Mindy.

Can you give an idea of how backed up things are please?

In this situation, if you think the repair cost by Drone Nerds is too high, what we could suggest is starting a case online and send back the drone to DJI official repair center for diagnosis, but we could not tell how much it will cost without the drone being evaluated. Hope it will help make your decision.
2020-5-11
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
United States

Hey Barb, Stick with DJI Repair. Open a ticket online as Mindy suggests. They know best how to handle your situation. In many cases, they will actually send a new drone rather than repair the one sent in. I checked serial numbers and found my replacement was not a refurb, it was new. I did not have to send the controller. Original packaging should be fine to send in. They handled another case for me regarding swollen batteries. They replaced all 3 batteries without cost. Good luck.
2020-5-11
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

Awesome forum, so glad I found it. I drove to Miami and picked my drone from Drone Nerds. Two weeks have gone I could have been back in the air. Oh well no sense in dwelling on it.
I opened a DJI ticket and sent it out today (TX) . Didn't think of the original box. It's okay I had the hard case. I just forgot to write my info on the case itself. I'll keep the faith it gets back to me. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFORMATION!  Much appreciated. Feeling much better.

2020-5-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

barbelle Posted at 5-11 20:11
Awesome forum, so glad I found it. I drove to Miami and picked my drone from Drone Nerds. Two weeks have gone I could have been back in the air. Oh well no sense in dwelling on it.
I opened a DJI ticket and sent it out today (TX) . Didn't think of the original box. It's okay I had the hard case. I just forgot to write my info on the case itself. I'll keep the faith it gets back to me. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL THE INFORMATION!  Much appreciated. Feeling much better.

No worries, our repair center will take care of it when it arrives. If you need any further assistance, please feel free to let us know.
2020-5-11
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

Hello Mindy, You are good at replying here so I am asking here. My drone was received on Thurs May 14th 2:40 pm for repair. My repair progress inquiry it still shows as not being received. Is this normal? If I should, how is the best way to make an inquiry? Thanks!

2020-5-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

barbelle Posted at 5-19 12:10
Hello Mindy, You are good at replying here so I am asking here. My drone was received on Thurs May 14th 2:40 pm for repair. My repair progress inquiry it still shows as not being received. Is this normal? If I should, how is the best way to make an inquiry? Thanks!

Hi barbelle, sorry for the inconvenience. I managed to get your case number via your forum account, I have forwarded your case to the related team for a check, if there is an update, we'll let you know.
You also check the repair progress via this link: https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTrace
2020-5-20
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

I checked and see the status now shows received. It is very helpful to know its in the right place. Great customer service and follow-through. Your efforts are much appreciated.  Thank you, Mindy!

2020-5-20
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

barbelle Posted at 5-20 09:45
I checked and see the status now shows received. It is very helpful to know its in the right place. Great customer service and follow-through. Your efforts are much appreciated.  Thank you, Mindy!

It's my pleasure to be able to help you here and you are welcome, once the damage assessment is finished, the quotation will be sent to you via email, appreciate your patience. If more assistance needed, please don't hesitate to let me know.
2020-5-21
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

HyLenz Posted at 5-11 04:16
Hey Barb, Stick with DJI Repair. Open a ticket online as Mindy suggests. They know best how to handle your situation. In many cases, they will actually send a new drone rather than repair the one sent in. I checked serial numbers and found my replacement was not a refurb, it was new. I did not have to send the controller. Original packaging should be fine to send in. They handled another case for me regarding swollen batteries. They replaced all 3 batteries without cost. Good luck.

I never thanked YOU! Thank you for all your information on this forum!
2020-5-26
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
United States

barbelle Posted at 5-26 21:06
I never thanked YOU! Thank you for all your information on this forum!

Glad to help. Happy Droning!
2020-5-27
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

I received my quote today from the DJI repair service center. After the quote from drone nerds, I am feeling pretty happy. It is in the realm of what I thought and hoped it would cost, DJI $363 versus the $878 from drone nerds. I am still however wondering how obstacle avoidance did not help prevent this crash as I was just flying in tripod mode. I did send my flight record information and am now discussing the matter with tech support.  I really want to know this thing inside out. For those of you on the fence about where to take your drone for repair, think of this. DJI can repair your drone not just replace the parts at a much higher price. I thought DJI would cost more and I was wrong, Thank you HyLenz and Mindy for your help along the way!

2020-5-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

barbelle Posted at 5-27 16:09
I received my quote today from the DJI repair service center. After the quote from drone nerds, I am feeling pretty happy. It is in the realm of what I thought and hoped it would cost, DJI $363 versus the $878 from drone nerds. I am still however wondering how obstacle avoidance did not help prevent this crash as I was just flying in tripod mode. I did send my flight record information and am now discussing the matter with tech support.  I really want to know this thing inside out. For those of you on the fence about where to take your drone for repair, think of this. DJI can repair your drone not just replace the parts at a much higher price. I thought DJI would cost more and I was wrong, Thank you HyLenz and Mindy for your help along the way!

Hi barbelle, you are very welcome, glad we could help, I see the case has been solved, hope you will receive it soon.
2020-5-28
Use props
barbelle
lvl.2
United States

I thought I would post once more my timeline and outcome with my DJI repair in case it helps anyone reading this thread in a similar situation as I was. I shipped my drone from FL for repair to TX on 11MAY. Tracking showed received by them on 14MAY and got my received notification from DJI on 20MAY that it was received. My quote came on 27MAY, 1:51p CT. I paid within :30 and it was repaired ASAP and shipped 28MAY. I got it back 3JUN. I emailed with questions along the way ( Ken ) and they have all been answered. I am quite pleased with the service I received. Also, keep in mind this happened pandemic and still outshined a local service. THANK YOU! DJI! I have been flying and all is good.  I do notice I am not hearing the RC ( "take off-" " landing" shutter on camera) as I did before but I am waiting for an answer on that. From what I read that is something a lot of people wish they could do.  So not sure I want it fixed.
2020-6-13
Use props
Wrecker232
lvl.1
Flight distance : 405912 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2020-5-28 23:33
Hi barbelle, you are very welcome, glad we could help, I see the case has been solved, hope you will receive it soon.

Drone Nerds continues to jerk people around. My Phantom 4 just went through a circus of lies with them and is now on it's way to DJI to actually get repaired. If DJI continues to keep garbage companies like this as authorized service partners I will never be buying another DJI product again. This has been going on for years per all the reviews online and your company does nothing.
2021-1-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Wrecker232 Posted at 1-12 23:59
Drone Nerds continues to jerk people around. My Phantom 4 just went through a circus of lies with them and is now on it's way to DJI to actually get repaired. If DJI continues to keep garbage companies like this as authorized service partners I will never be buying another DJI product again. This has been going on for years per all the reviews online and your company does nothing.

I feel sorry for any inconvenience you experienced, could you please tell me more details about your case and the reference number/contact info? I will try my best to help you out, and your feedback will also be forwarded to the corresponding team.
Look forward to hearing back from you.
2021-1-14
Use props
thatguyspike
lvl.1
Flight distance : 405912 ft
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 1-14 01:25
I feel sorry for any inconvenience you experienced, could you please tell me more details about your case and the reference number/contact info? I will try my best to help you out, and your feedback will also be forwarded to the corresponding team.
Look forward to hearing back from you.

My drone is with DJI getting repaired as we speak. I have vocalized my concerns multiple times via email  and DJI is only prepared to offer a useless "I'm sorry" lip service for my troubles.
2021-1-18
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

thatguyspike Posted at 1-18 09:39
My drone is with DJI getting repaired as we speak. I have vocalized my concerns multiple times via email  and DJI is only prepared to offer a useless "I'm sorry" lip service for my troubles.

I apologize for the unpleasant experience, could you please tell me more details about your case? I will do my best to help.
2021-1-20
Use props
Raw_B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1494190 ft
United States

I will only buy directly through DJI now as well as service requests. I don't have any experience with Drone Nerds, but another company I tried to buy from was absolutely horrible. It was www.drone-works.com and the owner is extremely rude and every time i spoke with him he lied. I emailed a week after my purchase asking when it will arrive as i chose 2 day delivery and he called me twice after my email, directly back to back calls and since I emailed on my lunch break and was back in the office I missed the calls. Two minutes after the calls I get an email from him saying that he has been calling me many times about my order the past week, which I verified with my phone company was not true. After a month, I asked to cancel my order. Then a month after that I still did not receive my refund back on my credit card and filed complaint with my bank. Moral of the story, just do business directly with DJI!!
2021-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules