Flying over cliffs
1924 15 2018-5-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
THE ROAD RIDER
lvl.1
Portugal

Hello friends.

I am new to the drone world. I just bought my Mavic Air a few days ago and so far so awesome. I am trying to take it slow and practice low flights so i can get used to everything. With that said i been thinking about trying to fly it over some cliffs in my hometown. What i am thinking of doing is simple movements, straight lines. My question is if the Mavic air is stable enough for these kinds of flights over cliffs?

Here is a video, not from me but from the place i want to do the footage.

Best regards and i hope to start contributing in this community.

2018-5-8
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Air is very stable. What you need to be aware is safety when flying low. You should fly close and control the aircraft by looking on it not the screen to ensure it won’t hit something. Be careful for the wind and don’t fly too low above water. Do more exercise on safe open area first. Only go to the challenge place when you feel confidence. Ensure you have save open area for takeoff and landing. Confirm home point recorded before takeoff.
Fly safe and have fun with filming.
2018-5-8
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

The view is so great! Hope you'd capture more of this exciting sceneries
2018-5-8
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
United States

Watch out for gusty wind especially when you fly close to the cliffs.
2018-5-8
Use props
Mars5150
lvl.4
Flight distance : 391493 ft
United States

Hi Road Rider,
it seems your already flying over some cliffs... On your video posted. I love that place (need some help & info about, sent you a message).
I had the same worry, but after some flights and a flyover of a Normandie Coast with avery Windy day, I understood how much this drones can handle also quite strong winds.
Check it out. From 0 to sec. 30, it was very windy.

Enjoy and keep sharing.
Obrigado.
2018-5-8
Use props
THE ROAD RIDER
lvl.1
Portugal

GDL Posted at 2018-5-8 18:41
Air is very stable. What you need to be aware is safety when flying low. You should fly close and control the aircraft by looking on it not the screen to ensure it won’t hit something. Be careful for the wind and don’t fly too low above water. Do more exercise on safe open area first. Only go to the challenge place when you feel confidence. Ensure you have save open area for takeoff and landing. Confirm home point recorded before takeoff.
Fly safe and have fun with filming.

Thank you for the tips. I am practicing as often as i can. It will take me some time to get comfortable flying over more challenging areas.
2018-5-9
Use props
THE ROAD RIDER
lvl.1
Portugal

Mars5150 Posted at 2018-5-8 21:52
Hi Road Rider,
it seems your already flying over some cliffs... On your video posted. I love that place (need some help & info about, sent you a message).
I had the same worry, but after some flights and a flyover of a Normandie Coast with avery Windy day, I understood how much this drones can handle also quite strong winds.

That is not my video. it is only one example i found so you guys could see where i want to fly. Thanks for showing your video.
2018-5-9
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

Find open and save landing place is important. Following link with video I took in a bad location without landing area. It’s very challenging to land safely in there. I almost lost my drone there as the signal lost. MA return home unable to land on takeoff spot as trees nearby. It try to land in the cliff few meters away!

https://forum.dji.com/thread-144754-1-1.html
2018-5-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent vid - the MA is a great little drone
2018-5-9
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer

Lovely place watch the updrafts near the cliffs
2018-5-9
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Nice video, the view is awesome. Thanks for sharing.
2018-5-11
Use props
THE ROAD RIDER
lvl.1
Portugal

Ok. So yesterday i took the Mavic Air for a few minutes of flying. I did not fly over the cliffs but i did so on the main beach. The winds were a bit too much for me, according to windy.com, around 30kmh and wind gusts around 50kmh. It was a good learning experience seeing how the Mavic would fly away just by hovering. Going forward was quite challenging. In the end i only took a few photos.

Another thing that was extremely nerve-racking were the seagulls flying around the Mavic. They did not attack it but they were flying too close for comfort. I landed the drone as soon as i could. I understand that  maybe there are nests nearby and is quite impossible to avoid the seagulls when flying on the beach. In this situations what is the best way to deal with the seagulls to avoid any kind of accidents? Best regards.
2018-5-13
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Nice video
Hope when you get the chance yourself to fly there you remember to take the advice from your fellow drone pilots.
GDL post #2 and Rent post #4
2018-5-13
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

THE ROAD RIDER Posted at 2018-5-13 08:07
Ok. So yesterday i took the Mavic Air for a few minutes of flying. I did not fly over the cliffs but i did so on the main beach. The winds were a bit too much for me, according to windy.com, around 30kmh and wind gusts around 50kmh. It was a good learning experience seeing how the Mavic would fly away just by hovering. Going forward was quite challenging. In the end i only took a few photos.

[view_image]

Both were Superb shots .
It is a good idea to keep tabs of the birds in the area.
They will run into your MA for no apparent reason.
That is the reason they are called Bird Brains.
2018-5-13
Use props
Folkestone
First Officer
Flight distance : 843199 ft
United Kingdom

Seagulls seem to be attracted/angered by Mavics. I fly around them all the time but they don't attack. I share you nerves when they mass around the drone though. I don't want to hurt them or damage the craft. I tend to just fly a bit higher and they lose interest and go away which allows me to come lower again.

The wind is a pain, especially on the coast. Nothing that can be done about that other than waiting.

That second shot in particular is stunning!
2018-5-13
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

THE ROAD RIDER Posted at 2018-5-13 08:07
Ok. So yesterday i took the Mavic Air for a few minutes of flying. I did not fly over the cliffs but i did so on the main beach. The winds were a bit too much for me, according to windy.com, around 30kmh and wind gusts around 50kmh. It was a good learning experience seeing how the Mavic would fly away just by hovering. Going forward was quite challenging. In the end i only took a few photos.

[view_image]

I think you can fly slower and do not fly through the seagulls. I really admire your works! You did a great job!
2018-5-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules