AVOID DJI CARE - my thoughts/experience
1603 18 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
greenhat06
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8589 ft
United States

I'll keep this one short but just had to get it off my chest, as I've been furious over the past few days dealing with DJI "customer support" (if you can call it that). Last week I had my first "rookie" mistake and took the MAVIC AIR too far out with wind at my back, and it just didn't have enough battery to get all the way back. Had to land it emergently in a field but unfortunately it must've hit something hard on the way down, as the rear left arm and the front left arm were broken. LUCKILY I had bought the $89.99 DJI Care Insurance program, so I thought I was in the clear. The drone was completely intact except for these 2 arms, so I was thinking they must be able to replace the arms and not have to "replace" the whole thing. Based on the program, they REPAIR for free but REPLACE for a FEE ($69.99). Anyways, I send it in and get the following invoice back for $69.99. I immediately am confused because in my mind there is NO reason for me to have to pay a fee for this sort of damage - this, of course, was the main reason I bought the Care package in the first place. So I could have peace of mind flying this thing and be protected from little instances like this. The drone was in otherwise perfect condition.
Anyways, after multiple emails of absolutely generic responses, most in very poor grammar, I finally decided to waste 30 minutes of my time and call to speak with somebody. The customer service agent's solution was to have me go to their website, click here, click there, and then read the terms/conditions of the DJI Care with her - are you kidding me? When I finally interrupted her and just said why is this not repairable and my thoughts on the replace vs repair argument, she again referred me to the terms/conditions without any explanation. In the end, WITHOUT DJI CARE, this would have cost me $160 based on their invoice ($130 labor, $14 for rear arm and $17 for front arm) - however, because I "luckily" have the DJI CARE, it only costs me $69; however, the insurance itself was 89.99 so in total, this is also $160. SO WHY IN THE WORLD DO I EVEN HAVE THE INSURANCE? I get it's purpose if you totally wreck/destroy the thing; great, you can replace the whole thing for 70 bucks. But for something like this!? Are you kidding me DJI? This is an obvious money making scheme and not the first experience like this I've had with this company.

Lesson to those out there - although they advertise as "peace of mind" with this program, it is far from that. At least for these minor mishaps in my experience anyways... Just leaves a terrible taste in my mouth thinking about this company, their customer support, and the overall experience I had with them. Had to share, but again, just my two cents.
2018-5-10
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

Can you please provide a link to the terms about the free repair? I only knew about the replacement service and i alao saw this...
2018-5-10
Use props
ggeorgis
lvl.4
Greece

Can you please provide a link to the terms about the free repair? I only knew about the replacement service and i also saw this...
5. If damage to your aircraft occurs and you are within DJI Care Refresh’s coverage, you will receive a quotation about repair fees. You can choose to pay for repair or replace your aircraft. For replacement services, an additional fee will be charged. After the payment is confirmed, DJI will send the replacement to you.
2018-5-10
Use props
greenhat06
lvl.1
United States

On the DJI Care main page (https://www.dji.com/service/djicare) front and center - "During DJI Care's period of validity, if accidental damage occurs during normal use, repair fees and related costs will be covered by DJI." How can I interpret that any differently? Plain and simple, bold text, top of the main page.
2018-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

First off there is no free repair service, so advice given to you from customer service to check conditions of your contract which you seem to have no clue about.
It’s very strange that you would come here and complain about CS when you got the whole thing hopelessly wrong, and the fact that you are still complaining gives a rough idea as to who was being ignorant here.
When you crash your drone you have option to use your care refresh or pay for repair, you are the one who purchased Care refresh but forgot to read the conditions, then try to apply your own and when you don’t get your own way, you blame CS , come here and then try to demean those giving you best advice.
I’m afraid you stuck your foot in your mouth here.
2018-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ggeorgis Posted at 2018-5-10 15:42
Can you please provide a link to the terms about the free repair? I only knew about the replacement service and i also saw this...
5. If damage to your aircraft occurs and you are within DJI Care Refresh’s coverage, you will receive a quotation about repair fees. You can choose to pay for repair or replace your aircraft. For replacement services, an additional fee will be charged. After the payment is confirmed, DJI will send the replacement to you.

That’s dji Care not Care refresh, the clue is in the name.

Care is available for phantom not Mavic Air
2018-5-10
Use props
greenhat06
lvl.1
United States

@hallmark007 - please explain to me, since I am so clueless, how to interpret that line on the front page of the DJI Care site... "If ACCIDENTAL damage occurs during normal use, REPAIR fees and related costs WILL BE COVERED BY DJI"

Am I missing something here?
2018-5-10
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

greenhat06 Posted at 2018-5-10 16:03
[view_image]

@hallmark007 - please explain to me, since I am so clueless, how to interpret that line on the front page of the DJI Care site... "If ACCIDENTAL damage occurs during normal use, REPAIR fees and related costs WILL BE COVERED BY DJI"

Yes, DJI Care and DJI Refresh are two different things. The image you captured is for DJI Care, this only covers some phantoms and inspires and costs more but has better cover.

DJI Refresh is for the others and costs less but also has less comprehensive cover.

Hope this helps
2018-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

greenhat06 Posted at 2018-5-10 16:03
[view_image]

@hallmark007 - please explain to me, since I am so clueless, how to interpret that line on the front page of the DJI Care site... "If ACCIDENTAL damage occurs during normal use, REPAIR fees and related costs WILL BE COVERED BY DJI"

That’s dji Care only available for phantom and inspire, I have that coverage, you got Care refresh, how many times do you need telling, they are completely seperate.

https://store.dji.com/product/dj ... lete&position=5
2018-5-10
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

greenhat06 Posted at 2018-5-10 15:46
On the DJI Care main page (https://www.dji.com/service/djicare) front and center - "During DJI Care's period of validity, if accidental damage occurs during normal use, repair fees and related costs will be covered by DJI." How can I interpret that any differently? Plain and simple, bold text, top of the main page.

Noticed your from the US, may I make a suggestion ' State Farm Insurance ' Personal Articles policy, no questions asked replacement cost. I have 3 DJI drones insured under the same policy MP, MA  and a P4P, replacement value of $3,500 for $75 a year. I could lose all three either by theft, crash, fly away or crap, they could get run over by a Mack truck, doesn't matter they will pay with a check within 72 hours of the claim. Now the downside is if you do make a claim within the first 12 months of the policy they have the right to deny renewal of the policy. My policy expires in July and spoke with my agent 2 weeks ago and it will be renewed for the same price. Personally I wouldn't want to lose/crash any of my drones but if and when it does happen at least I can get my full investment back and then choose to buy or not to buy DJI again. Also if you live in California your SOL as they do not offer it in that state.

Sorry you have to deal with DJI/CS, main reason I went the other route.
2018-5-10
Use props
S.D. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-10 16:52
Noticed your from the US, may I make a suggestion ' State Farm Insurance ' Personal Articles policy, no questions asked replacement cost. I have 3 DJI drones insured under the same policy MP, MA  and a P4P, replacement value of $3,500 for $75 a year. I could lose all three either by theft, crash, fly away or crap, they could get run over by a Mack truck, doesn't matter they will pay with a check within 72 hours of the claim. Now the downside is if you do make a claim within the first 12 months of the policy they have the right to deny renewal of the policy. My policy expires in July and spoke with my agent 2 weeks ago and it will be renewed for the same price. Personally I wouldn't want to lose/crash any of my drones but if and when it does happen at least I can get my full investment back and then choose to buy or not to buy DJI again. Also if you live in California your SOL as they do not offer it in that state.

Yup, good suggestion.  I've never went with any DJI care whatever coverage. I had a spill with the MP and also went a different route. Had it repaired at another source, paid a low reasonable price and got it back in the air within 3 days. Easy breezy.
OP: it'd be nice if DJI would used that $89 as a some kind of down payment in the case of an accident. Unfortunately not the case.
2018-5-10
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Singapore

I didn’t buy DJI Care one major reason is you need to bring the damaged aircraft back for replacement. If something going wrong my one it will be very difficult to get it back because the place I am flying.
2018-5-10
Use props
E3M6N3S
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121713 ft
United States

So you damage your drone and are mad that you have to pay for it to be repaired? I hate it when that happens.
2018-5-10
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-10 16:52

i was about to make the same suggestion.  I'm in NC and the policy for my Mavic air was $60/yr with no deductible.  My agent explained that that was a minimum policy, and that i should add a few other personal items to it just to have them covered.  if it was just to add onto a current policy, the drone itself, would only be $19/yr.
and it's would replace the device, not repair it.  They just send you a check for the covered amount.
2018-5-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

We're sorry for the troubles. I managed to get your case number via the forum info, both the quotation of repair and replacement have been sent to you already.

I understand your point, but your drone is bound with DJI Care Refresh, not DJI Care. As you can see from DJI website, there are two different sections: https://www.dji.com/
DJI Care Refresh is valid for 12 months and offers up to two full replacements at an additional charge if accidental damage occurs to your product during normal use.
You can choose to pay the repair fees to get the drone repaired or use the refresh chance to replace the drone. Hope this makes it clear. Please let us know how would you like to proceed, thanks!
DJI.png
DJI Care Refresh.png
2018-5-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I note a quick exit, I would hope most would just put it down to experience.
2018-5-11
Use props
djiuser_xfY1iW6g5RqC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23734 ft

Im not sure why dji wants to actually spend more money to give you a new drone if they can repair yours already..!? Also with all do respect my friend how could such a small and delicate drone like mavic air loses 2 arms and stll just need 2 arms and everything els works just fine...!?  
2018-5-11
Use props
greenhat06
lvl.1
United States

Thanks everybody for the responses. I didn't realize that DJI CARE and DJI CARE REFRESH were different so my apologies for my misunderstanding on this. Anyways, consider this case closed - don't want to continue my frustration with this. For comments from @E3M6N3S like "you damage your drone and are angry you have to pay for it?" my response is again so simple -> that's why I buy the insurance. Or at least that's what I thought I was doing. Anyways, it's clear this forum is full of incredibly pro-DJI people here so I didn't mean to come and ripple the waters. I appreciate the comment from @QuadKid about StateFarm Insurance, I already have my car through them so I should have absolutely looked into that before I bought this garbage DJI insurance. Anyways, good to know going forward. Thanks to those that were helpful.
2018-5-11
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

greenhat06 Posted at 2018-5-11 13:25
Thanks everybody for the responses. I didn't realize that DJI CARE and DJI CARE REFRESH were different so my apologies for my misunderstanding on this. Anyways, consider this case closed - don't want to continue my frustration with this. For comments from @E3M6N3S like "you damage your drone and are angry you have to pay for it?" my response is again so simple -> that's why I buy the insurance. Or at least that's what I thought I was doing. Anyways, it's clear this forum is full of incredibly pro-DJI people here so I didn't mean to come and ripple the waters. I appreciate the comment from @QuadKid about StateFarm Insurance, I already have my car through them so I should have absolutely looked into that before I bought this garbage DJI insurance. Anyways, good to know going forward. Thanks to those that were helpful.

Hi, thank you for your update. I'd like to express my sincere sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you, if there is anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to let us know, we'll here for help. Thanks again!
2018-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules