P4P v2.0 Lack of backward compatibility potential support issue
1882 10 2018-5-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wataero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1719619 ft
United States

The documentation that was posted witht the P4P v2 says that the v2 aircraft is incompatible with a P4P or P4P+ controller and vice versa.  This could be a huge support issue.  It  implies that separate aircraft firmware updates will be required for the P4P and P4Pv2.  The firmware update for the P4P+ and P4A+ controller has already been removed from the "downloads" section of the DJI P4P web site and there is a new version of DJI Assistant 2, called DJI Assistant for Phantom v2 that the release notes say only supports the V2.  
Now some P4P owners want nothing to do with firmware updates because they have been buggy, but DJI has tried to add new features and fix bugs, they just sometimes introduce more new ones.

From a hardware perspective, if you send your P4P in for repair, what will you get back, a P4P or a P4Pv2?  If the later then you will need to buy a brand new controller.  

For the DJI moderators who monitor this forum....
What kind of support commitment will DJI make  to the P4Ps?
Will aircraft firmware updates be tested to ensure they work on both the  P4P and V2 and released at the same time?
Why has the firmware for the P4P+ and P4A+ been removed from the downloads section of the web site and is it available elsewhere?
Are we orphans?
2018-5-10
Use props
kmss1
lvl.4
United States

+1 on the good questions!
2018-5-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The documentation that was posted witht the P4P v2 says that the v2 aircraft is incompatible with a P4P or P4P+ controller and vice versa.  This could be a huge support issue.
Or it is much more likely to be no issue at all.
Why would you imagine that DJI couldn't support the V1 and V2 editions at the same time.
2018-5-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The only reason will be that the V2 uses the Occusync HD transmission system, so of course it will not be compatible with previous version.
2018-5-10
Use props
DEUCEDOG
First Officer
Flight distance : 2501575 ft
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-5-10 19:22
The documentation that was posted witht the P4P v2 says that the v2 aircraft is incompatible with a P4P or P4P+ controller and vice versa.  This could be a huge support issue.
Or it is much more likely to be no issue at all.
Why would you imagine that DJI couldn't support the V1 and V2 editions at the same time.

Perhaps they are phasing out the P4P+/ADV+ ?
2018-5-10
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-10 21:21

Perhaps ?
They no longer list the original P4 pro in the DJI store.
From now on, all new P4 pros will be the V2.0 version
But making a few minor changes mid production run doesn't mean they won't support the earlier model.
The 3 pro was discontinued ages ago but the company still supports it.
Toyota still support cars made 10 years ago.
2018-5-10
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

You must be looking at a different DJI website to the one that I see. If I go to the P4Pro page, it still has the same Assistant 2 software version, still has firmware updates for the current P4Pro series and still has firmware updates for the P4Pro+ RC. I can't even find a downloads page for the P4Pro 2.0
Perhaps you could post a link. The only reference to the P4Pro 2.0 that I can find is in the Shop.
2018-5-10
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DEUCEDOG Posted at 2018-5-10 21:21

Aloha DD,

Besides the P4 Pro V2.0, DJI is also selling the DJI P4 Pro V2.0+ (plus).  So, as Labroides noted, they may not be selling P4 Pro and P4 Pro+ (plus) new anymore, but they will be supported and anyone can buy a new P4 Pro V2.0+ (plus).  It is just the marketing strategy DJI has chosen to use.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-5-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

DJI keeps offering technical support for P4P, no worries. Regarding the firmware issue, I'm sorry that they are different as P4P V2.0 uses Occusync HD transmission. We are working on DJI Assistant 2 as well, hope more drones can be used in the same version in the future.
2018-5-11
Use props
wataero
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1719619 ft
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-5-10 22:24
You must be looking at a different DJI website to the one that I see. If I go to the P4Pro page, it still has the same Assistant 2 software version, still has firmware updates for the current P4Pro series and still has firmware updates for the P4Pro+ RC. I can't even find a downloads page for the P4Pro 2.0
Perhaps you could post a link. The only reference to the P4Pro 2.0 that I can find is in the Shop.

https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro-v2/info#downloads
2018-5-11
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

wataero Posted at 2018-5-11 18:36
https://www.dji.com/phantom-4-pro-v2/info#downloads

Whoa! The V2 has a specific version of Assistant 2 for it. Hmm, yep - something to be careful of.
2018-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules