Flying distance
1530 14 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kay.schulz
lvl.1

Germany

Hi all
I have the Phantom 2 Vision+ and flew it now several times. I get at around 120m a message: Signal to camera lost.
If I fly slightly further I get the message that the connection to the remote is lost and it is coming home.
I thought it flies longer distances then 120m. Any ideas?
Regards
Kay

2015-5-11
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Kay,

You should make sure it's in FCC mode in the assistant software, not CE mode. Make sure that your transmitter antenna is pointed with the long flat side to the bird, not the tip. When I first got mine I was pointing the tip at the bird, now I have the antenna pointed with the long portion of it towards the craft at about a 45 degree angle. Make sure your extender box has the front flat portion pointing towards the bird. Pay attention to the way you point the transmitter and try to keep it always pointed at the craft. Distances can vary greatly depending on many variables. I can typically get about 1,600' with no issue at all (I'm in a wide open area with little to no interference) but I regularly get out to 2,500-3,000'. When doing some GS missions, I've actually had sporadic signals returned temporarily at 8-9,000'. Pointing of the transmitter and antenna has seemed to make a big difference for me. Hope that helps a little.

Jerry
2015-5-11
Use props
kay.schulz
lvl.1

Germany

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-12 02:09
Kay,

You should make sure it's in FCC mode in the assistant software, not CE mode. Make sure that y ...

Hi
thanks for the quick reply.
How do I change the CE to the FCC mode. I looked on the wiki but the pictures there do not show the same remote device as mine.
Kay
2015-5-11
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

kay.schulz@gmx. Posted at 2015-5-12 04:26
Hi
thanks for the quick reply.
How do I change the CE to the FCC mode. I looked on the wiki but t ...

Here you go Kay...

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php ... n_and_Configuration

Jerry
2015-5-11
Use props
acenothing
lvl.4
Flight distance : 112185 ft
United States

Most likely the issue is not the DJI but where you fly.  If you are in a city, like Los Angeles, you have at least 25 wifi signals banging against the P2 signals and the interference will shorten the distance.  Most of the people here seem to fly in rural areas so they have all sorts of DJI technological advice.  But at the end of the day it is simply wifi background noise drowning your signal.

You either live with the shorter distance or upgrade your antennas.
2015-5-11
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

acenothing Posted at 2015-5-12 05:37
Most likely the issue is not the DJI but where you fly.  If you are in a city, like Los Angeles, you ...

"Most of the people here seem to fly in rural areas so they have all sorts of DJI technological advice"

I'm certainly no expert so no "DJI technological advice" from me, just trying to help there Ace...

Jerry
2015-5-11
Use props
Godfrey
lvl.2

United States

Hi, I just noted that Kay is in Germany. Would changing to FCC Mode violate any statutory requirements over there? I'm Just curious. Cheers
2015-5-12
Use props
moxy149
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1220797 ft
United Kingdom

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-12 16:53
Hi, I just noted that Kay is in Germany. Would changing to FCC Mode violate any statutory requiremen ...

Hi, as far as I am aware  the CE mode is used for EEC countries ie. France, Germany etc, and the FCC mode is for everywhere else, but why this is so I have no idea. I hope this helps. Regards  Ian. (UK)
2015-5-12
Use props
kay.schulz
lvl.1

Germany

acenothing Posted at 2015-5-12 05:37
Most likely the issue is not the DJI but where you fly.  If you are in a city, like Los Angeles, you ...

Hi
we are not allowed to fly in areas with people or buildings.
So I fly mainly ober open space like fields. And I can always see the copter, so nothing in between

Regards
Kay
2015-5-12
Use props
kay.schulz
lvl.1

Germany

Godfrey Posted at 2015-5-12 16:53
Hi, I just noted that Kay is in Germany. Would changing to FCC Mode violate any statutory requiremen ...

Hi
not sure. We have limitations in Germany (as always and usual in Germany :-( )
We have the law that we have to fly over open space, not in areas with houses or people.
We have to fly in viewing distance. And typical german, in every state the law is different :-)

Regards
Kay
2015-5-12
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

kay.schulz@gmx. Posted at 2015-5-13 00:24
Hi
not sure. We have limitations in Germany (as always and usual in Germany :-( )
We have the law  ...

Kay,

Did anything help your distance?

Jerry
2015-5-12
Use props
kay.schulz
lvl.1

Germany

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-13 00:26
Kay,

Hi
couldnt try it because it is very windy here today and again and again rain.
Will try over our long weekend (Thursday is public holiday)
I looked at the settings in the DJI RC software and it showed limits for height, 120m, which I knew, and distance 1600m which I will never achieve. I will test a few things on the weekend.

Thanks for all your guys help
Regards
Kay
2015-5-12
Use props
kay.schulz
lvl.1

Germany

JtrJr-Droner Posted at 2015-5-13 00:26
Kay,

Hi
yep, it helped
easily 250 m without any impact
thanks a lot to all of you
Kay
2015-5-14
Use props
kay.schulz
lvl.1

Germany

kay.schulz@gmx. Posted at 2015-5-14 22:34
Hi
yep, it helped
easily 250 m without any impact

Today I flew the longest distance ever:
350 m and at 100m altitude
According to pythagoras this means 500m. No problems
Thanks to all of you again.

Kay
2015-5-17
Use props
JtrJr-Droner
Second Officer
United States

kay.schulz@gmx. Posted at 2015-5-17 21:18
Today I flew the longest distance ever:
350 m and at 100m altitude
According to pythagoras this me ...

Glad to see you got her going! Now you've got to do a long GS mission! My longest to date is 4.77 miles or 1,609 meters with 8% battery left. Talk about getting the adrenaline going!

Jerry
2015-5-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules