Sport Mode
2115 26 2018-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i
lvl.2
United States

Well now that I have a unit that I can actually put into Sport Mode, I must say this thing hauls butt!  The great thing is you can get somewhere quickly.   The bad news is you can get into trouble quickly too!

My wish for a programming change is to mLe the left right control MUCH less sensitive while in sport mode.  I'm not planning on doing pylon racing.....so I'd like to able to move fast but control direction better....maybe that will be an upgrade down the line.

Also except upon first acceleration,  it appears the gimbal can keep up with the pitch during sport mode......so it's just the yaw that it can't handle being a 2-D decide.

Fun!

Now will I have the guts to fly away from me until I lose connection and rely on GPS for return home?

How many of you out there have done this????
2018-5-11
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Sport Mode in my Opinion is best used for Returning Home Manually and just for Fun, I prefer Smooth Video in Tripod or Normal Mode.
For Photos, Sport Mode doesnt make sense for me.
2018-5-11
Use props
Duncdude
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18491 ft
United Kingdom

I have to admit that curiosity got the better of me and i tried sport mode on about my fifth battery run. only did a straight line blast forward and then back for about 50m..... Then told myself off and put it back to realistic mode.
I can see the fun, but i can also see the potential trouble, particularly for newbies like me. there are plenty of other unintentional ways i can f*ck things up without throwing sport mode into the equation
2018-5-11
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

I agree with you.
2018-5-11
Use props
djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the replies!  Yeah I think I am too old to be getting into racing.   This drone is plenty for me right now.....I just wish I had it on my overseas trips in the past.

No one has replied yet on flying away until losing connection yet.  I am curious as to how many Spark users eventually tey this out...  and rely on GPS for return...

Happy Rotoring!
2018-5-11
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Actually its possible to take nice shots using sport mode, although its hard its possible. Best way is to fly backwards so the props dont appear in the footage. You can reverse it on post.
As I still dont have these kind of skills I just use sport mode to get fast to the subject then I turn it off so I have more control over the shooting.
I also use it to go far way, my record is 4km when I use only sport mode the whole way. If you lose connection and the AC starts returning to home wait till the connection get back, cancel de RTH and then get back as straight as you can using Sport mode. Do not leave the RTH b/c its too slow and depending on the distance it will not have enough juice to get to the home point.
I ALWAYS TURN OFF THE SPORT MODE TO LAND IT.
Yeah man, its really sensible and fast. It needs 30 meters to stop when on high speed. Be Careful.
Fly safe!
2018-5-11
Use props
djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i
lvl.2
United States

Thanks Brilhasmoito!

Wow.....4 km!  Hmmm.

I'll make sure I have great GPS reception and full battery.....and check my K-Index Monitor for low magnetic interference.

Ok hopefully I post again soon on my success and distance instead of my lost Spark!
2018-5-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i Posted at 2018-5-11 07:04
Thanks for the replies!  Yeah I think I am too old to be getting into racing.   This drone is plenty for me right now.....I just wish I had it on my overseas trips in the past.

No one has replied yet on flying away until losing connection yet.  I am curious as to how many Spark users eventually tey this out...  and rely on GPS for return...

All range tester did that, somehow.
Tye "trick" is: The loss of control, meaning the RC to AC here, is mostly only a matter of meters, maybe hundred meters.
As soon the RC connection interupts, the bird stops.
And soon after turns back and returns.
I just not  think that you can fly a km, or 2, or 3, that you can get that far, when next thing will be a GPS loss.
That happens most of the time (in my cases) in the beginning, closer to Homepoint.
Usually, if flying distances, you fly as high as possible. For GPS loss that is not really the scenario. Close to the ground, between houses,  ..., however is.
Yes, I flew it away till RTH.
But some seconds after, it always reconnected.
Till now. ;-)
2018-5-11
Use props
djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i
lvl.2
United States

Thanks S-e-ven!

Makes sense.....the small difference in start point and a few miles as far as a GPS satellite is nothing...so it makes sense flying in clear air you won't develop GPS issues with distance...  just wifi control via RC and Spark.

I had issues with GPS with my first Spark but the replacement I just received those issues have gone away....as well as the latency issue.

Happy Rotoring!
2018-5-11
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer

djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i Posted at 2018-5-11 07:22
Thanks Brilhasmoito!

Wow.....4 km!  Hmmm.

If you want to test the distance you gotta do it in an unpopulated area with no obstructions between RC and AC, like a quiet beach or farm. Do not attempt this in a busy environment. The chance is you are going to lose it or cause an accident.
Windless conditions are a must. Do all the preflight checklist. Fly low. Fly straight. Fly fast. Set RTH at current attitude so you don’t have energy loss on ascending or descending. Keep the RC pointing the AC. If any interference ou signal loss show up, please get back as soon as possible.
I did 9km in 13 minutes with one battery which tell us spark is a beast but issues can happen and you gotta be prepared.
If you need any help please don’t hesitate to ask me.
Have a nice weekend!!!
Fly safe!!!
2018-5-11
Use props
idbl_fanatic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 509741 ft
United States

I have went up to 397 Feet, and then flipped into Sport, and zipped out over 3000 feet before "I" brought it home, not one video drop, or disconnect
2018-5-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Oh: The max. distance in  meter, I have flown, but not just away and back, mostly circles it was, was 8000+ meters.
By the math it is clear, you should be able to do about 10k in Sport. (50kph x 12 minutes average flighttime)
But it is a good info, to caclulate all long distances test on real reached max flight ranges.
You feel a bit more relaxed, knowing you still have enough more meters/kms in the battery, as the actual distance is.
On top, testing to fly the bird under 10%, in close range, meaning STOPPING it from critical battery landing but still flying towards the direction and in the height you want, builds up confidence!
I am not proposing to fly it to/till the very battery limits.
I just think it is a very good idea to know about them.
2018-5-11
Use props
djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i
lvl.2
United States

Thanks all.

Brilhadmuito.....your name makes me think if a mojito and now I want to drink one!

I will try a dawn distance flight over water soon and report back.

Also just purchased a parabolic range extender so when I get that I can compare.
2018-5-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i Posted at 2018-5-11 08:20
Thanks all.

Brilhadmuito.....your name makes me think if a mojito and now I want to drink one!

Yep, and the next problem, you mentioned it:
Most range testing is done over water!
All but one of my 2k+ flights had somehow water under the propellers.
But:
Surprisingly, my longest distance flight was not from high ground and not over water and just 90m heigh
It is just not so easy to find locations (in my area), where you don't have trees in 2-500m distance to the homepoint and no lake or ocean ;-) being part of the path.
2018-5-11
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

djiuser_w3JZrVJQcZ4i Posted at 2018-5-11 08:20
Thanks all.

Brilhadmuito.....your name makes me think if a mojito and now I want to drink one!

Mujito is a mexican drink as a good Brazilian I drink "caipirinha". Really good! Have you tried it?
Over the water is the best way to go. If anything goes wrong (Im sure it wont) you are the only one affected by it. Nobody gets hurt but your heart and pocket.
This parabolic range extender is great. I always use it when attempting a distance flight. As it directs the signal forward you gotta keep it pointing the AC at all times. I've never tried with and without it. Please let us know the results.

2018-5-11
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-11 08:29
Yep, and the next problem, you mentioned it:
Most range testing is done over water!
All but one of my 2k+ flights had somehow water under the propellers.

I found that high areas are also great for it. Places where you find yourself higher than the trees. If you have a spot like this, try it. You will see!
All of my distance flights were made over the water. Its possible the humidity got your props wet. If you did it really early in the morning its likely the fog got your drone wet. Which already happended to me so I avoid at all costs flying in a foggy enviroment. As we know electronic circuits hate humidity.
2018-5-11
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-11 08:46
I found that high areas are also great for it. Places where you find yourself higher than the trees. If you have a spot like this, try it. You will see!
All of my distance flights were made over the water. Its possible the humidity got your props wet. If you did it really early in the morning its likely the fog got your drone wet. Which already happended to me so I avoid at all costs flying it in a foggy enviroment. As we know electronic circuits hate humidity.

Oh yes, my second longest distance was from really high ground.
2018-5-11
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-11 08:53
Oh yes, my second longest distance was from really high ground.

Cool!!! I love distance flights. I think its an amazing thing just to know that a little machine achieves such impressive distances. And even more amazing is that we are controling it. To me its mind blowing and until last year I didnt even know there were drones capable of such amazing thing. I like taking pictures and shooting videos but I like take it far even more. hahahahahahahahahah
I think I have a problem!
2018-5-11
Use props
Flighty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1977175 ft
Croatia

Thanks for the replies!  Yeah I think I am too old to be getting into racing.   This drone is plenty for me right now.....I just wish I had it on my overseas trips in the past.

No one has replied yet on flying away until losing connection yet.  I am curious as to how many Spark users eventually tey this out...  and rely on GPS for return...

I always fly in Sports Mode, until I need to take some photos or Video, then back to P - Mode, Also sometime I fly a bit to far and lose connection, RTH kicks in and the Spark comes back home,, great machine,,
2018-5-11
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

idbl_fanatic Posted at 2018-5-11 08:16
I have went up to 397 Feet, and then flipped into Sport, and zipped out over 3000 feet before "I" brought it home, not one video drop, or disconnect

How can people sell a flying thing in a box which are delivered all over the world and anyone can fly? I dont take it for granted. Amazing stuff!
2018-5-11
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

Flighty Posted at 2018-5-11 09:07
I always fly in Sports Mode, until I need to take some photos or Video, then back to P - Mode, Also sometime I fly a bit to far and lose connection, RTH kicks in and the Spark comes back home,, great machine,,

Depending on the distance the drone is. Please dont rely on RTH. It might not have enough juice to RTH in such slow pace. Cancel the RTH as soon as the connection gets back then use sport mode to bring it closer.  
2018-5-11
Use props
heliman
lvl.4

Just make sure the home direction is about downwind at the chosen altitude.
2018-5-11
Use props
AlvaroX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 155548 ft
United States

Thanks for the replies!  Yeah I think I am too old to be getting into racing.   This drone is plenty for me right now.....I just wish I had it on my overseas trips in the past.

No one has replied yet on flying away until losing connection yet.  I am curious as to how many Spark users eventually tey this out...  and rely on GPS for return...

i had done it. as long as the home point is properly set once there no conneciton between the RC and the drone the drone will return home.; of course it needs ot have enough battery to do so.
2018-5-11
Use props
AlvaroX
lvl.2
United States

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-11 08:39
Mujito is a mexican drink as a good Brazilian I drink "caipirinha". Really good! Have you tried it?
Over the water is the best way to go. If anything goes wrong (Im sure it wont) you are the only one affected by it. Nobody gets hurt but your heart and pocket.
This parabolic range extender is great. I always use it when attempting a distance flight. As it directs the signal forward you gotta keep it pointing the AC at all times. I've never tried with and without it. Please let us know the results.

is not mujito... it is mojito and it is not a Mexican drink bur more a Caribbean drink as the basis is rum (white rum).
2018-5-11
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Second Officer
Brazil

AlvaroX Posted at 2018-5-11 11:42
is not mujito... it is mojito and it is not a Mexican drink bur more a Caribbean drink as the basis is rum (white rum).

Every day I learn new things. Just googled it. Its original from Cuba! Anyway, caipirinha is better.
2018-5-11
Use props
AlvaroX
lvl.2
United States

BrilhasMuito Posted at 2018-5-11 11:46
Every day I learn new things. Just googled it. Its original from Cuba! Anyway, caipirinha is better.

to each its own buddy... i had both mas eu gosto mais a Cuba Libre (rum, coca, limao) o   simplmesmente um bom rum ( 20 annos pelo menos)
2018-5-11
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-11 06:26
Sport Mode in my Opinion is best used for Returning Home Manually and just for Fun, I prefer Smooth Video in Tripod or Normal Mode.
For Photos Sport Mode doesnt make sense.

My favorite is Tripod Mode.
2018-5-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules