Gimbal horizon not level
2966 20 2015-5-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mark
lvl.2
Flight distance : 176053 ft
United Kingdom

How many people have the horizon not level? This seems to be a major problem and it started for me on the last firmware update. I thought this latest update would have sorted it but it's still the same. Weird thing is that if you yaw round the horizon will go level and perfect, then start to go off as you carry on yawing round. Could it be a compass related bug thats affecting the gimbal in some way? I'm sure dji would be able to sort it quick, and I didn't have this problem when I first got the inspire. Once this is sorted everything else is perfect for me, please sort this dji.

I have also done the IMU calibration and still nothing will cure it.
2015-5-11
Use props
caddwizard
lvl.2
Flight distance : 453788780 ft
Australia

Have experienced the same.  Even if you try to compensate by manually adjusting it still goes out of alignment after a few turns.
2015-5-12
Use props
blackbox
lvl.3

Switzerland

It was perfect for me 2 firmware versions before the current.
Then, I got into problems.
Doing a camera calibration, or changing the angle in the app does not seem to correct it well...
2015-5-12
Use props
chris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1213051 ft
United States

Same for me. Firmware before current made it better but did not eliminate it completely. I haven't flow with the current firmware to check it now.
2015-5-12
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

I usually do not "yaw" (as I never get this smooth enough) and film at the same time ... but have noticed that the level of the gimbal changes from perfect to crooked even if you only go straight up or fly in a straight line ...  If you let the bird stay still / hover you can (sometimes) see the level going back to "normal" again very slowly ...
How ever ... This is very annoying!
2015-5-12
Use props
skyhawkvideos
lvl.2

United States

Wow...I thought it was only me. Perfect before update but now slightly off when turning or rotating.  Thank goodness for this forum.
2015-5-12
Use props
ea6le
lvl.2

Turks and Caicos Islands

Mine was always unleveled mostly at the same angle. Over a week ago I recalibrate the IMU using dimes under the landing gear to compensate for the angle that gimbal was drifting. Had few flights and looked much better. I wanted to fly some more to know if really is a solution but has been windy and didn't want to risk losing my bird. it looks like in 2 weeks the winds will go under 20mph so I will do some tests again.
2015-5-12
Use props
mark
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Yes it is firmware related. Let get someone from Dji to let us know what going on. When this is sorted the inspire will be perfect for me
2015-5-12
Use props
areischauer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 257382 ft
United States

Had the same issue with the gimbal yesterday during a flight.  After flying forward around 15mph and some regular gradual turns the horizon was slightly off.  Eventually after I stopped and just hovered it then returned to normal.  Thought this was taken care of with the recent firmware update
2015-5-12
Use props
parralix
lvl.1

Spain

i have the same problem
2015-5-12
Use props
mark
lvl.2
United Kingdom

When you google it loads of people are having the same problem, so I'm sure dji are aware of it. Could blade strike confirm this issues is in the pipeline to be fixed?
2015-5-13
Use props
blackbox
lvl.3

Switzerland

You may try Taho-Ed suggestion for calibration reported here : http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=15168
2015-5-15
Use props
ea6le
lvl.2

Turks and Caicos Islands

After few flights. the horizon level on my I1 is better but once you start spinning around, the horizon tilts on 90 degree, gets leveled at 180 degree and again tilts at 270 and back to normal at 0. but some times is good and corrects itself other times once you are flying and turning around it tilts again. Definitely the IMU calibration on unleveled surface helped and is not drifting to its usual angle.
So, if your gimbal is always unleveled at the same angle, you can try an IMU calibration on unleveled surface at the same angle that the gimbal drifts. This might suggest that the landing gear is not perfectly aligned with the body.
2015-5-22
Use props
mark
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Surely if you do this the inspire will want to fly off at the angle? The imu is more than just aligning the camera and gimbal?
2015-5-31
Use props
serge.sozonoff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 545043 ft
Finland

Having the same issues with latest firmware and manually correcting using the Gimbal adjustment page does not help!

Serge
2015-5-31
Use props
mark
lvl.2
United Kingdom

It is firmware related. Dji need to get this sorted ASAP.
2015-6-2
Use props
jason
lvl.1

United States

Finally solved it (for me at least)... After numerous attempts at recalibrating both IMU and Compass without any luck, I got to thinking about the compass calibration and how it's never really level when I hold it and do a 360 spin with it. My issue with tilted horizon has been there from day one by the way. Anyway, what I ended up doing is using a steer plate from one of our race cars and making it level in all directions. After putting I1 on steer plate, than app in compass calibration mode, I simply spun the plate around 360-degrees (until lights changed), than did the normal dance with camera pointed down while trying to stay as level as possible. I guess I could have came up with something to hold the I1 vertical, but just seemed too much of a pain, after calibrating, ran through 3 batteries over 2-days, and so far, so good. Hope this helps!!
2015-6-16
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

all inspire's issues gone after the crash.
2015-6-17
Use props
drblackham
New

United States

The issue is actually that the plastic gimbal saver is too short. To fix use all 4 or none at all. You can run a small zip tie thru the grommet if you are worried about it coming off.
2015-8-2
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

jason@caveracin Posted at 2015-6-17 10:26
Finally solved it (for me at least)... After numerous attempts at recalibrating both IMU and Compass ...

Jason ...

Are you still good after doing your compass like that?
2015-8-2
Use props
AtomicKid
lvl.2
Flight distance : 366270 ft
United States

We've been flying our kit for the past 2 months and two firmware updates. The issue has not been resolved...

Gone through several cold calibrations on a nice level surface. Performed the Gimbal calibration, etc... The craft will take off with everything level, we can fly away a few hundred feet, yaw 90º to left or right and the horizon ends up being tilted 1-2º. If you then use the in app correction to adjust that, you'll have to undo that after flying around a bit and facing another direction. This is pretty unacceptable at this point.
2015-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules