Crash and Burn
494 3 2018-5-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MountainTriguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57923 ft
United States

So I've had my first major crash and the Camera is now detached from the Aircraft. Can someone please explain to me how the sensors really work. I had it on Track mode and set on Profile but it was following behind me about 20' high. I was simply walking at about 1.5mph. Am i mistaken when it's flying straight forward that sensors should still be working and the aircraft should avoid obsticles? It flew straight into a 15' tall fench that was completely covered in Ivory. The props got tangeled and as it fell into a muddy flower bed the gimble snagged onto a vine and it was basically ripped from the mount. I now have to use one of my DJI Refresh lives to cover this damage. Anyone here have to use that before? And how painfull/less is the process?
Thanks in advance.
2018-5-12
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
United States

One thing that stands out from your description is that you were in Profile mode of ActiveTrack. Typically, the AC will be flying sideways besides the subject while having the camera pointed at the subject.

In your case, it couldn't have been flying forward directly behind you then crashed into a fence - since that would mean you would have walked through that fence.

I'm thinking it's more likely its flying at an angle, and trying to pull up to your side, and the fence was outside of its forward vision sensor's field of view. This is of course conjecture. You may want to review your flight log and see exactly how the AC was pointed and its direction of travel when it crashed.

Glad you have Refresh though. Best of luck!

2018-5-12
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sorry to read the crash. If the drone is still under warranty period, data analysis will be suggested to check the exact status. You can start a case and send the unit in from here: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-5-12
Use props
MountainTriguy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57923 ft
United States

rent Posted at 2018-5-12 18:17
One thing that stands out from your description is that you were in Profile mode of ActiveTrack. Typically, the AC will be flying sideways besides the subject while having the camera pointed at the subject.

In your case, it couldn't have been flying forward directly behind you then crashed into a fence - since that would mean you would have walked through that fence.

Normally I would agree. But I was out in front of it and it had dropped behind me and was following me. I've noticed in Profile mode doesn't really mean it will always stay to my left or right. If I start to run it will just follow me. It should have sensed the Fence long before it ever got that close. That's my main concern.  But it is what it is I suppose. How exactly do I check my flight log? Is that through the app or do I need to connect the drone to my computer?
2018-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules