Sierra Foothills Overflight
933 10 2018-5-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
aesculus2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69245 ft
United States

I am a brand new drone pilot with a recently purchased Mavic Air. I am certainly still trying to get a handle on what this bird can do and all the nuances of both the video and flying aspects.  So far I have only crashed the MA into a tree once. I am also just learning how to use CyberLink PowerDirector 16 and it's numerous capabilities too.
I still have a lot to discover and a few of the segments of this video show some of my earlier issues wrt gimbal and yaw settings for example, but I think I have enough to at least show my first attempt.

2018-5-16
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>
United States

We all start somewhere and we can only get better if we keep practicing. You got some nice shots and you will get better as you go along. The best thing to start with is just practice flying and not recording. Once you have the controls down then you can start focusing on what to film that would be interesting from a birds eye view. Good job.
2018-5-16
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Not bad at all and it's pretty good certainly better than my first.  
2018-5-16
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Congrats on your new bird and video . Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
2018-5-16
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Nice video, congrats on your new drone, happy flying.
2018-5-16
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see
Wish you a lot of safe flights!
2018-5-16
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

You're quickly getting the hang of it.  The video footage looks just a little over-exposed (bright) to my eye.  Try not to crash again !    Thanks for the share.
2018-5-16
Use props
BHProductions
First Officer
Flight distance : 43018593 ft
United States

well done for a first flight. keep it up!!
2018-5-16
Use props
aesculus2
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-5-16 22:57
You're quickly getting the hang of it.  The video footage looks just a little over-exposed (bright) to my eye.  Try not to crash again !    Thanks for the share.

Thank you for the suggestion. I did a little post processing to see if I could reduce the exposure a bit overall and also attacked a few segments with some shadow reduction too.

Let me know if it's better.

2018-5-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>

aesculus2 Posted at 2018-5-19 19:22
Thank you for the suggestion. I did a little post processing to see if I could reduce the exposure a bit overall and also attacked a few segments with some shadow reduction too.

Let me know if it's better.

Reviews from others such as myself are always subjective, of course, based on what pleases the eye of the individual. I think it's better, but still very pale. ( Though I note that in the close-ups of the facade of the house, it is a pale pastel shade )  One thing I missed first time around was the large bird circling warily. A bit of local competition
2018-5-19
Use props
aesculus2
lvl.4
United States

Blériot53 Posted at 2018-5-19 20:00
Reviews from others such as myself are always subjective, of course, based on what pleases the eye of the individual. I think it's better, but still very pale. ( Though I note that in the close-ups of the facade of the house, it is a pale pastel shade  )  One thing I missed first time around was the large bird circling warily. A bit of local competition

I showed it to two other photographers who are very familiar with the area and they also felt the original was a bit over exposed too. This new one is more true.  Yes the house is a very pale light pinkish color. It's color is very true in the new video. Also the area in general is brightly lit (no clouds and always mid day in these shots). In addition the grass and trees are all spring growth which means the greens are much brighter too.
Now for the birds.  Glad you noticed them. They (it?) appear at 1:48 and 2:02 in the video. These are Turkey Vultures which are very common in North America in rural areas. Ugly birds facially, but the most amazing soarers. These birds stay aloft for hours at a time zooming and climbing with the thermals.  They don't seem to mind the drone much but I try to limit my flight time around them when they are present. They are large birds with a wingspan of up to 180 cm.

2018-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules