Safe Fly - Inspire 2
1679 21 2018-5-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alanatabz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 29459 ft
United Kingdom

I had the Inspire 2 unlocked for flying at an airport, worked no problem.

Tried to use it in 2 locations, nowhere near the airport and the Inspire 2 says I'm in a restricted area.

How do I clear the memory to allow me to fly, the Mavic I took as a spare works fine, but after flying at the aiport, the Inspire thinks it's still in a restricted area.

2018-5-17
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Following DJI guidance
2018-5-17
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

1. Ensure that the drone's firmware and the APP's version are the latest ones
2. Ensure that you have logged in the correct DJI account
3. Ensure that the inspire 2 flight controller's SN is 095XE4Q002000A
4.  double check the coordinate and make sure you are in the targeted restricted area.
5. Ensure that the drone has been connected with the DJI GO APP and the drone has good GPS (more than 10)
6. Ensure the DJI GO APP has good internet access
7. Please kindly try to uninstall the DJI GO APP and reinstall it
2018-5-17
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

My response

1 – App 4.2.14, Aircraft 01.02.0100, RC 01.01.0010

2 – Logged in

3 – Yes, correct S/N

4 – I am not in the restricted area, the app will not let me take off.  It worked ok yesterday in the restricted area, but outside the area the drone will not fly

5 – Good GPS and maps all show my position at home, nowhere near restricted area

6 – yes, has access

7 – Reinstalled app, still the same. Also used another 3 - safe thing

Awaiting DJI to come back

2018-5-17
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was reading this before going to bed... very puzzling and sounds like you have done everything correctly  

Maybe just clear all the cache and warnings from general settings....

Rich
2018-5-17
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Rich,

Cleared all caches,  The Mavic flew ok (that goodness for backup drone) tried the unlock and sync functions, sent data to aircraft, put lock on/off......

I think it's a software problem, the drone for some reason thinks it's still in a restricted area.  I have sent details to DJI so will wait and see what they come back with.

Will try my inspire 1 later today and see if that works ok. not sure if I1 and I2 controllers are compatible, but may try that too

2018-5-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Alan, may I know if you have closed the toggle in Unlock List? Please refer to the following picture.
GTScreenshot_20180518_153152.png
2018-5-17
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi Mindy

Yes, I have tried that also.

Tried it toggled on and off - tried both ways.

Regards

Alan
2018-5-17
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

The support team suggested that i use DJI assist 2 to refresh the firmware?

That would require a USB to USB lead?   does that come with the Inspire?  (to plug PC to I2 and to controller?)
2018-5-17
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

alanatabz Posted at 2018-5-17 23:49
The support team suggested that i use DJI assist 2 to refresh the firmware?

That would require a USB to USB lead?   does that come with the Inspire?  (to plug PC to I2 and to controller?)

There is a dual USB cable that comes with the package, please connect the aircraft to your computer and refresh the firmware in DJI Assistant 2.
Here is a tutorial video for your reference, starting at 1:07.

2018-5-18
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Spoke to support.

Getting nowhere

I connected the Inspire to DJI Assistant 2  it loaded new software.

Still the same

I went to DJI Assistant2 and reloaded factory settings, then did an update.  I also reset my Ipad 3

still the same

I have switched the locking off. no change (I don't need this function now)

(1) I am not in a no-fly zone, I am in a safe area. I want to fly in a safe area which I could do before doing the unlock)
(2) The software still thinks I am in a no-fly zone which I flew in on Thursday, the IPAD and DJI map show I am not in a no-fly area!

I need this problem fixed, how to I clear

2018-5-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

alanatabz Posted at 2018-5-18 04:06
Spoke to support.

Getting nowhere

Sorry you are having trouble and you certainly have done all the correct steps!

I thought Mindy's ideas were spot on.

I wonder if you have another device that you could try? Something that has not been used before with any of your drones. I used the neighbors Android phone once, when I had some trouble.... this could help you dee if this is hardware or a software issue.

Rich
2018-5-18
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I drove back to the airport, Inspire 2 flies without any problem, locked or unlocked.

The minute I leave the restricted area, the software seems to work back to front

it lets me fly in a restricted area without unlocking, when I got home (safe area) it thinks I'm in a Restricted area and wont let me fly!

Alan

2018-5-18
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

alanatabz Posted at 2018-5-18 10:36
I drove back to the airport, Inspire 2 flies without any problem, locked or unlocked.

The minute I leave the restricted area, the software seems to work back to front

Thanks for the update
So, I think you have solved your situation and your problem has something to do with the unlocking of the Inspire. The unlock code messed up the onboard fly safe mechanism by DJI. They will need to get you another code to override whatever this broke.

?? I wonder if this will correct itself when your project unlock timeline is over. Internal date clock  of the Inspire 2
Hope Mindy can help you get this fixed

Rich

2018-5-18
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Latest progress...…

DJI removed unlocking from Inspire 2, Can now fly in GPS mode.

Findings :-

Is the restricted area, having flown in it, it seems to create a problem with the I2.  After flying in it, the safe area became a no-fly zone and the correct no fly zone I could fly in without unlocking.

I switched the drone on at the airport, and could take off without unlocking, I then drove home and when 2km away from the airport drone switched over to being unable to fly.

So can now fly drone, it does question if the software has an issue.

I also flew today with another drone operator, as I was the airport radio operator.   He couldn't unlock his Phantom 3 and in turn couldn't complete his task.

I agree with DJI's approach to n-fly zones, however I think that commercial operators with a CAA Approval (for the UK) should have this software unlocked for the duration of the PFCO then renewed annually. The problem is the time and messing about to do a job with locking / unlocking issues creates frustration and spending more time trying to fathom out the issues.  Unlocking / locking should only apply to recreational users who don't have commercial approval / insurance etc.

More importantly, there seems to be a bug that let me fly in a no-fly zone without unlocking (after I'd unlocked it and flown the day before) and creats a no-fly zone in a safe area!
2018-5-20
Use props
Racklefratz
New

United States

alanatabz Posted at 2018-5-20 03:00
Latest progress...…

And it's THIS kind of foolishness that caused me to switch from DJI to Yuneec.  Totally unacceptable.

I am fully aware that it's DJI's way of protecting its bottom line by avoiding lawsuits from ignorant and arrogant customers' misusinig DJI products.  

I happen to be a certificated US instrument-rated pilot, and I know quite well where to avoid flying.  Furthermore, DJI, if I've invested thousands of USD purchasing your products, they belong to ME, and ** I'LL ** be the one to decide when/where I fly, not DJI.  I'm just having none of it.  Finished with DJI, unless/until all this crippling of drones is permenently ended.
/rant
2018-5-26
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Here we go again...… More issues with safe fly

I can't even apply as it now doesn't recognize my email address.

DJI responded confirming email address to use, which I did.... and still the same.

One day this will be an easy to use faultless process...… I hate applying now, as I never know if it will work or not without any problems!

2018-6-15
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

alanatabz Posted at 2018-5-20 03:00
Latest progress...…

I agree!
A valid PfCO should be used to unlock the DJI No Fly Zones - this would be a far better solution.
If its good enough for the CAA it really ought to be good enough also for DJI!
Kind regards
Allan
2018-6-16
Use props
Coyut
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

Be aware that you'll need to disable the whitelist/unlock if you want to fly outside of the currently unlocked area.
The whitelist some sort of reverses the locked areas. No idea why dji not just unlocks the requested radius and lets the rest be as it is. Had this problem before. So always make sure you add a big enough radius to work, even if there is no red zone anymore. Otherwise you won't be able to do your job as the drone will lock at the end of the unlocked radius.

Always disable the unlock once you are done and out of the unlocked zone or you won't be able to fly.

2018-6-18
Use props
Coyut
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2559222 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

DJI should consider to add a trusted user role to their unlock process.
So some sort of licensed pilots can atleast completely unlock their home country for a min of 6-12 month.
Switzerland does not have any licening. So here DJI could just take a look in their records. If someone has sucessfully applied 5 times for a unlock and there were no complains he would be gaining the trusted user role.

We lose jobs because we can't do quick jobs within 24h in red zones because DJI is not capable of processing requests within 4h. (Always takes 2-3 working days due of different time zones).
We can get flight permission from Swiss Air authority within about 2h which is not the real problem.
This just leads to hacked drones, which is nothin we or DJI wants in the end.
Currently most short term jobs are getting done with hacked drones from our competition here in Switzerland because they can fly and we are grounded for a to long period of time.
2018-6-18
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

allanart Posted at 2018-6-16 03:22
I agree!
A valid PfCO should be used to unlock the DJI No Fly Zones - this would be a far better solution.
If its good enough for the CAA it really ought to be good enough also for DJI!

Yes, I agree!

Having a PfCO means you have insurance, equally will have followed an OPS manual etc,

Pilots of light aircraft are no different, there is nothing that stops you can fly into control areas without permission  - it's the consequences afterwards in having your licence pulled and face the CAA etc.

The DJI system is not reliable and often costs PfCO holders money when they can;t to the job because their software doesn't work!
2018-6-18
Use props
alanatabz
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Coyut Posted at 2018-6-18 00:01
Be aware that you'll need to disable the whitelist/unlock if you want to fly outside of the currently unlocked area.
The whitelist some sort of reverses the locked areas. No idea why dji not just unlocks the requested radius and lets the rest be as it is. Had this problem before. So always make sure you add a big enough radius to work, even if there is no red zone anymore. Otherwise you won't be able to do your job as the drone will lock at the end of the unlocked radius.

Yes, I had that problem too!  

One of many with this system.

Latest is I can't use the online system, it doesn't recognise my DJI email address, so DJI will manually configure it!

Currently looking for a professional NON- DJI drone so I can do commercial work in conjunction with the airport that doesn't need the hassle of the DJI software / WI-Fi connection etc....
2018-6-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules