Three Dead Batteries
123735 123735 2018-5-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smittie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2591214 ft
United States

I have what appear to be three dead batteries. This happened because I do not understand the use of the Phantom 4 Series Battery Charging Hub. The hub has a switch that says "Charging" and "Storage". The three batteries were left on the charging hub with the switch in the storage position for a couple of months. A couple days ago I noticed that the batteries were all dark and the hub LED was red. Now, none of the batteries will power up or charge.

So, what did I do wrong? How is the Phantom 4 Series Battery Charging Hub's "storage" mode suppose to be used?

2018-5-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Hopefully the battery mode of Hibernation has been achieved.

Try charging one at a time.  It may need to be on the charger for a longer period of time to awaken.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-23
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

As the Poker man says, try switching your hub to charge. The storage mode keeps them at 50% You should be OK by switching to the charge mode. Remove them first and then re-insert them  with the switch in the charge position.
2018-5-23
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Smittie, we're sorry to hear the troubles. Please kindly keep the batteries charging for a certain time to see whether there is any reaction. If not, please kindly start a case and send them in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support
2018-5-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-23 17:07
As the Poker man says, try switching your hub to charge. The storage mode keeps them at 50% You should be OK by switching to the charge mode. Remove them first and then re-insert them  with the switch in the charge position.

It would suck big time, to lose three expensive intelligent flight packs, at once.

So hopefully, the Hibernation Mode had been activated and they can be woken up, from their slumber.

RedHotPoker

2018-5-23
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-23 19:05
It would suck big time, to lose three expensive intelligent flight packs, at once.

So hopefully, the Hibernation Mode had been activated and they can be woken up, from their slumber.

Hopefully he can revive them. May I suggest checking out the Youtube Videos. There was one there that had the remedy for this situation.
2018-5-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-24 02:18
Hopefully he can revive them. May I suggest checking out the Youtube Videos. There was one there that had the remedy for this situation.

Sure, great. Post a link bro! Ha

This situation would surely irk me...

RedHotPoker
2018-5-24
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-24 07:12
Sure, great. Post a link bro! Ha

I'll see if I can find it.
2018-5-25
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

You are not the only one with that issue.
There is another thread which describes the exact same problem.
Apparently it happens due to outdated firmware in the batteries:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=118344&pid=1025008&fromuid=583619

2018-5-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-25 05:25
You are not the only one with that issue.
There is another thread which describes the exact same problem.
Apparently it happens due to outdated firmware in the batteries:

How would you update firmware on a flight pack that’s already uncooperative.

My iPad 3 died this week too. After buying it a new screen and battery, just 6 months ago.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-5-25 03:12
I'll see if I can find it.

Sure, good stuff. Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-25
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Every spring we hear these stories of stored batteries that have bit the dust.  Why not just use them a little , even indoors, to keep them fresh.  Beats losing several hundred dollars.
2018-5-25
Use props
rangers95
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584695 ft
Switzerland

moral of the story is , fly your drone. Drone batteries matter, yeah I got nothing sorry...
2018-5-25
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

rangers95 Posted at 2018-5-25 08:50
moral of the story is , fly your drone. Drone batteries matter, yeah I got nothing sorry...

You made me chuckle. And the statement is true. Thanks.
2018-5-26
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-5-23 18:18
Hi Smittie, we're sorry to hear the troubles. Please kindly keep the batteries charging for a certain time to see whether there is any reaction. If not, please kindly start a case and send them in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support

Left the batteries on the charging hub in 'charging' mode over night. No change. Talked to customer support via chat. Not a lot of help. In another thread on this forum it is indicated that this is a known problem. That is a little frustrating. The documentation for the "Intelligent" Charging Hub is incomplete. Really starting to think I am out $500 despite trying to use DJI hardware correctly.
2018-5-26
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

Smittie Posted at 2018-5-26 09:41
Left the batteries on the charging hub in 'charging' mode over night. No change. Talked to customer support via chat. Not a lot of help. In another thread on this forum it is indicated that this is a known problem. That is a little frustrating. The documentation for the "Intelligent" Charging Hub is incomplete. Really starting to think I am out $500 despite trying to use DJI hardware correctly.

Yeah - seems only disposal is your choice.
Maybe your batteries were not on current firmware when you put them in the hub for a long time.
Too bad that DJI won't acknowledge any failure on their side.

I agree - the hub documentation is not good.
The storage mode is meant to bring the batteries to a medium charge level which is ideal for long term storage.

But when that level has been reached they should be taken out.
To my understanding it's not meant to keep the batteries in there for months.
2018-5-26
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-26 10:05
Yeah - seems only disposal is your choice.
Maybe your batteries were not on current firmware when you put them in the hub for a long time.
Too bad that DJI won't acknowledge any failure on their side.

So, where did you gain the understanding that "storage" mode does not mean store your batteries here? When I first got the UAS I searched for a more complete description/definition of what DJI meant by the label 'storage' and found none. At least one other user arrived at the same conclusion I did, that 'storage' mode meant store batteries here.

Barring some official and authorized DJI presence, we're all just guessing in this forum.
2018-5-26
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

Smittie Posted at 2018-5-26 10:18
So, where did you gain the understanding that "storage" mode does not mean store your batteries here? When I first got the UAS I searched for a more complete description/definition of what DJI meant by the label 'storage' and found none. At least one other user arrived at the same conclusion I did, that 'storage' mode meant store batteries here.

Barring some official and authorized DJI presence, we're all just guessing in this forum.

I gained that understanding 'somehow' when I was wondering in the beginning if it is good to leave batteries in the hub. At that time I was thinking to leave the batteries in there long term in 'Charge' mode. Some people here said I shouldn't.

When I continued to read about Lipos and issues I 'somehow' got the feeling not to leave them connecetd to a charger/hub long term in general.

But again, you are right:
Documentation is poor and it's left up to the 'feelings' of people of what they decide.
2018-5-26
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

I would have assumed - yeah I know,  assumptions are always dangerous - but anyway,  I would have assumed that "storage mode" would have brought the batteries to the correct charge for long term storage & having achieved that level,  the batteries should be removed from the charger ???
I wouldn't like to leave the battery connected.  

OK,  question:  Is the 50% - 60% storage level necessary to maintain the battery in good condition or to make it safe to store ?

There have been so many threads & comments on the subject of batteries,  we should all be experts !?
2018-5-27
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

Looking at the battery guidelines it says batteries should be attended at least once in three months.
I guess I'm lucky since I am an all-seasons flyer:

2018-5-27
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Was the hub with the three batteries in it  still connected to the power line, or was it disconnected? If connected it should have brought each battery up to about 50% as soon as they went below that, If not, then the batteries would have been drained faster than normal, as there would have been some of their power used by the small leds on the side of the hub, and the hub's circuitry as well... I never let my batteries connected to anything when not in use.
2018-5-27
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
Flight distance : 18245 ft
United States

Smittie Posted at 2018-5-26 10:18
So, where did you gain the understanding that "storage" mode does not mean store your batteries here? When I first got the UAS I searched for a more complete description/definition of what DJI meant by the label 'storage' and found none. At least one other user arrived at the same conclusion I did, that 'storage' mode meant store batteries here.

Sorry you feel “we’re all just guessing in this forum” but you couldn’t be more wrong. This forum exists so that the DJI community can help each other.  There are thousands of hours experience available to anyone wanting it.
You were not clear on how to use your charging hub, couldn’t find clarification, did not post asking for help, did not call DJI support.  YOU made a guess that appears is costing you $500+
To many people come here for the first time after something bad happens and proceed to trash DJI for their bad.  ASK IF YOU DON’T KNOW, IT’S FREE.
2018-5-27
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Grumpy D Posted at 2018-5-27 06:38
Sorry you feel “we’re all just guessing in this forum” but you couldn’t be more wrong. This forum exists so that the DJI community can help each other.  There are thousands of hours experience available to anyone wanting it.
You were not clear on how to use your charging hub, couldn’t find clarification, did not post asking for help, did not call DJI support.  YOU made a guess that appears is costing you $500+
To many people come here for the first time after something bad happens and proceed to trash DJI for their bad.  ASK IF YOU DON’T KNOW, IT’S FREE.

"ASK IF YOU DON’T KNOW, IT’S FREE"
But require that you're aware that you have something to ask.
I don't have the hub but was it not for following here i might also would have assumed that Storage mode was meant to be used for storage, even after reading the manual for the hub.
I know this would be against the battery maintenance guides but still assume those were irrelevant having bought an expensive "intelligent" charge/storage hub for my "intelligent" batteries.
2018-5-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-5-25 08:41
Every spring we hear these stories of stored batteries that have bit the dust.  Why not just use them a little , even indoors, to keep them fresh.  Beats losing several hundred dollars.

The onboard flight SiM is perfectly good for this procedure.

RedHotPoker
2018-5-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-27 07:16
I don't have the hub but was it not for following here i might also would have assumed that Storage mode was meant to be used for storage, even after reading the manual for the hub.

Moral of the story, throw those delightful charging hubs in the trash. ;-)

I bought a second OEM DJI 100w charger for my four flight packs and couldn’t be happier.

Well, that's Not entirely truthful.
https://smartpowercharge.com/
There is one option, out of my reach.

RedHotPoker

2018-5-27
Use props
KedDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-5-27 07:30
Moral of the story, throw those delightful charging hubs in the trash. ;-)

I bought a second OEM DJI 100w charger for my four flight packs and couldn’t be happier.

No i just think DJI should prioritize their work on manuals and documentation, they really is doing a crap job in this regard not to forget the release notes.

And using the Sim also could lead to overheating as nowhere in the manual is it mentioned that the ventilation is un-sufficient when powered on for longer time without flying/props or external provided ventilation.
2018-5-27
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-27 07:38
No i just think DJI should prioritize their work on manuals and documentation, they really is doing a crap job in this regard not to forget the release notes.

And using the Sim also could lead to overheating as nowhere in the manual is it mentioned that the ventilation is un-sufficient when powered on for longer time without flying/props or external provided ventilation.

I have a handy double fan that can be turned upwards.
When charging or utilizing the SIM to deep cycle flight packs, I place my drone atop a running fan which does a great job in simulating fresh air flow in flight. ;-)

You might have an awesome cold air conditioner that works double time for this...

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, from you. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-5-27
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

KedDK Posted at 2018-5-27 07:16

You are correct. In post 17 by the OP, “I searched for a more complete description/definition of what DJI meant by the label 'storage' and found none.“ the way I read it, he knew he was not clear on how to use the hub.
If you read the hub manual and P4Pro manual’s battery section I don’t think you would have left the power on for three months.
IMO others welcome to their own.
2018-5-27
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 2018-5-27 06:38
You were not clear on how to use your charging hub, couldn’t find clarification, did not post asking for help, did not call DJI support.  YOU made a guess that appears is costing you $500+

Do you work at living up to the nick name of Grumpy or does it just come naturally?

With regard to DJI's intended application of the 'storage' mode, I anxiously await your direction to the clear instruction on how that mode of the hub charge is suppose to be used. I have read through the manual that was provided with the device. I have downloaded what is indicated as the most current version of that same documentation. I have read the manual provided with the batteries themselves and downloaded the most current version of that manual. Insofar as I have been able to find, none of these documents provide an explanation of how DJI intended 'storage' mode to be used. There is an explanation of what it does but not how it should be employed.

Therefore, in the absence of official and authoritative DJI presence, with regard to this specific issue, we are guessing as to what DJI engineers intended. Folks here have provided scenarios for what works, for which I am grateful but which do not resolve my current issues. The most useful information regarding my current situation came from the individual who was able to point me to another thread discussing the very same experience. That information was useful in my conversations with customer support.

As to what other courses of action I may or may not have taken, you really have no idea. You jumped to conclusions and then took me to task, presumably because you didn't like my statement about "just guessing".
2018-5-27
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

Manxmann Posted at 2018-5-27 00:29
I would have assumed - yeah I know,  assumptions are always dangerous - but anyway,  I would have assumed that "storage mode" would have brought the batteries to the correct charge for long term storage & having achieved that level,  the batteries should be removed from the charger ???
I wouldn't like to leave the battery connected.  

This was my dilemma. Leave them on the plugged in charger in 'storage' mode or remove them. I was 50/50. Li batteries I have used in the past for video cameras were suppose to stay on the charger until put into use.

So, does storage mode maintain the batteries at 50%? Or does storage mode drain the batteries to 50% after which they should be taken off the charge and storage in a dry, cool environment? If the later, what is the indicator that the battery is ready to be removed and stored? More importantly, most Li batteries have a slight discharge rate. Is there a way to know when the battery should go back on the charger to stay at an optimum storage level?

Did I miss the answer to these questions? If I did, where is it?
2018-5-27
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

Grumpy D Posted at 2018-5-27 07:51
You are correct. In post 17 by the OP, “I searched for a more complete description/definition of what DJI meant by the label 'storage' and found none.“ the way I read it, he knew he was not clear on how to use the hub.
If you read the hub manual and P4Pro manual’s battery section I don’t think you would have left the power on for three months.
IMO others welcome to their own.

And yet there is another thread about this very same issue in which the poster states that DJI customer support informed him that the issue was a software bug in the Intelligent Battery software which could be fix with a software update.

That's what I learned by "JUST ASKING".
2018-5-27
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2018-5-27 02:53
Was the hub with the three batteries in it  still connected to the power line, or was it disconnected? If connected it should have brought each battery up to about 50% as soon as they went below that, If not, then the batteries would have been drained faster than normal, as there would have been some of their power used by the small leds on the side of the hub, and the hub's circuitry as well... I never let my batteries connected to anything when not in use.

The hub was connected to power and the selector switch was on 'storage'. And for most of the time that it sat this way, the charger appeared to be maintaining a 50% charge on the batteries. About once a day the batteries would light up in the manner that they normally do when they are charging. This would last for a few minutes (10 to 15, approximately) and then go quiet again. Based on this, it seemed like the hub in storage mode was intended to maintain the batteries during storage.
2018-5-27
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

Smittie Posted at 2018-5-27 11:22
And yet there is another thread about this very same issue in which the poster states that DJI customer support informed him that the issue was a software bug in the Intelligent Battery software which could be fix with a software update.

That's what I learned by "JUST ASKING".

Don't get mad, Smittie.
There are a few grumpy guys here ;-)

I think we all agree on this:
DJI documentation is poor and leaves space for errors. (Not only for battery questions)
It should say in the hub manual if batteries should/can be left in there long term and if so at which mode.
I also think that a charging hub offering a storage mode is self-explaining and should not require people to read through all kinds of manuals.

You still may have a chance with Susan/post # 4 suggesting you send these batteries in.

Good luck!

2018-5-27
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2018-5-27 11:58
Don't get mad, Smittie.
There are a few grumpy guys here ;-)

I am following up with customer support.

2018-5-27
Use props
Grumpy D
First Officer
United States

I have earned the title of GRUMPY.
I have a very low tolerance of arrogance, lack of responsibility and stupidity.  I also have a tendency fall into troll traps, and I’m not known to be politically correct.  
My only point here is you smelled fish and did not seek clarification.
If you don’t have the aptitude to understand something seek help from those who do. When I read the P4P MANUAL AND THE HUB MANUAL, I was able to understand that power is only needed to up charge and no power is needed to down charge, therefore no need to power up for three months. Bottom line, I have three batteries that work, you don’t.
Dead end here,I’m out. Best of luck to you.
2018-5-27
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2

Far be it from me to encroach upon your entitlement.

Have a good day.
2018-5-27
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Smittie Posted at 2018-5-27 11:52
The hub was connected to power and the selector switch was on 'storage'. And for most of the time that it sat this way, the charger appeared to be maintaining a 50% charge on the batteries. About once a day the batteries would light up in the manner that they normally do when they are charging. This would last for a few minutes (10 to 15, approximately) and then go quiet again. Based on this, it seemed like the hub in storage mode was intended to maintain the batteries during storage.

In theory this is what should happen with the hub connected, but evidently something at a certain point went wrong... possibly (but not necessarily) that the hub was disconnected and nobody noticed it?  (As I said, I don't leave the batteries in the hub after putting them to storage level, I just check them once a month during the season I don't fly, and put them in the hub for the necessary time if needed).  In any case, much safer than leaving them connected but practically unattended...
2018-5-28
Use props
Smittie
lvl.2
United States

Today I spoke on the phone with DJI Technical Support. They confirmed that the Intelligent Battery Charging Hub in storage mode is intended to maintain intelligent batteries for long periods of time. I asked this question three different ways, getting the same answer. The Tech Support representative stated that the batteries should be sent in for analysis and repair or replacement. I will update here with the final outcome.
2018-5-29
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
  • >>>

Smittie Posted at 2018-5-29 13:19
Today I spoke on the phone with DJI Technical Support. They confirmed that the Intelligent Battery Charging Hub in storage mode is intended to maintain intelligent batteries for long periods of time. I asked this question three different ways, getting the same answer. The Tech Support representative stated that the batteries should be sent in for analysis and repair or replacement. I will update here with the final outcome.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
It's good for all hub owners to get this straightened out.

Hopefully they replace your batteries!
When you send them in, add some candy to the package. That always helps ;-)
2018-5-29
Use props
NovaRob
lvl.1
United States

Any solutions here?  I am having the same trouble.  3 batteries left in storage mode.  All red lights and no charging
2018-11-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules