GoPro 4 & P2 w/FPV Not Compatible
9378 15 2014-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
buckames
lvl.2
United States

After purchasing the new GoPro 4 Black and not able to receive video displayed on the RC 801 monitor (which had worked with the 3+ Black) I received the following from GoPro ... "Sad to say, the GoPro Hero4 is not compatible with FPV on the DJI P2."  Took many hours of internet interaction to pin this down.  GoPro suggested that I could return the camera or wait for DJI to "update" their software/firmware to support the Black 4 with the standard dji P2 configurarion (P2 w/H3-3D, iOSD mini, AVL 58 Transmitter, Black Pearl RC 801 Monitor).  In last conversation with DJI (10-30-14) ... they told me that if I ordered and installed the AVL 58 Receiver, thus overriding/replacing the RC 801 receiver, I will be able to receive the video displayed on the monitor.  I believe ... I ordered.
2014-11-1
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

FWIW, I have a hero4 silver working just fine.

Not sure I understand your point.  How does changing receivers have any bearing on the camera?  

Your rig currently works with hero3, but not with hero4?
2014-11-1
Use props
buckames
lvl.2
United States

away-point Posted at 2014-11-1 23:53
FWIW, I have a hero4 silver working just fine.

Not sure I understand your point.  How does changing ...

Correct.  Have been talking with GoPro & DJI for several days.  I am receiving flight parameters on my Black Pearl RC 801 monitor but no video ... which worked with the GoPro 3+ Black.  The quote is directly from GoPro ... and DJI eventually confirmed and recommended the AVL 58 Receiver as the solution.  See several retailers that are offering the Phantom 2 FPV config with the GoPro 4 ... so go figure?  I will try the AVL 58 Video Receiver (on order) and hopefully solve my problem.
Buck
2014-11-2
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Just trying to understand... You say "worked", past tense. Does it still work?

If yes, I guess there must be something different between the hero4 silver and the hero4 black, because, like I said, I'm using the former with no issues.

If no, I would immediately suspect the UBS ribbon cable.  You might try swapping out that cable.

Good luck!
2014-11-2
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

That crazy because a DJI dealer is selling a full package with the 4 Black edition.

See here    http://www.dronecamps.com/
2014-11-2
Use props
LenCO
New

Australia

Which Zenmuse do you have?   The older models with the Hero Bus connector have been reported online as not compatible with the Hero 4.   The newer Zenmuze with the sometimes criticized ribbon cable are reported as fully compatible.   If you have a Hero Bus connection you may need to get a USB connector to hook your GoPro to your FPV.   I have the same issue on my pending GoPro 4 purchase.
2014-11-2
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

LenCO Posted at 2014-11-3 09:11
Which Zenmuse do you have?   The older models with the Hero Bus connector have been reported online  ...

You probably just nailed it!  
2014-11-2
Use props
buckames
lvl.2
United States

LenCO Posted at 2014-11-3 09:11
Which Zenmuse do you have?   The older models with the Hero Bus connector have been reported online  ...

Good point.  Looks like I have version 1 of the zenmuse H3-3D.  Interesting this was not mentioned in the conversations with GoPro or DJI.  GoPro responded that it was not compatible & DJI later agreed and suggested the AVL58 Video Receiver as a solution.  From your prospective, was are my best options at this point.  Thanks
2014-11-3
Use props
Cloud9
lvl.1
United States

buckames Posted at 2014-11-4 04:26
Good point.  Looks like I have version 1 of the zenmuse H3-3D.  Interesting this was not mentioned ...

Using the AVL58 won't make a difference if you have the V1 H3-3D with the back plate.
Video is physically not coming out the back the connector on the Hero 4 for some reason.

Currently the only way to get video out on the Hero4 is to use the V2 H3-3D with the USB connector.
You'd have to buy one or buy a USB connector and custom fit to your V1.
Could be a DJI Hero licensing thing who knows..but it's all we got for now.

2014-11-3
Use props
hvilorio
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10184222 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

Also I have had problems with 4K @ 30fps, which won't work for fpv, but 4K @ 24fps works great.
I have a P2 with Hero4, H3-3D v2, Immersion RC 600 video transmitter and Mini IOSD.
And I think that the 4K @ 30fps is a GoPro issue and not a DJI issue...
2014-11-3
Use props
LenCO
New

United States

Thanks.  Good to know about 4k video & FPV

buckames, you have two choices.

the cheap route is to buy a mini USB to FPV connector cable online. Hobby King has one for $1.90 that will power your GoPro and feed video to your FPV.  

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyki ... gbvRVksMaAjrX8P8HAQ

You will need to remove or at least disconnect the cable from the Hero bus on your Zenmuse.   Then run the new cable directly from your GoPro to your FPV transmitter.   This way is cheap, but you have to open up the back of your Zenmuse to disconnect the cable.   (Search YouTube for tutorials)
Another possible drawback is if not routed very carefully, the new cable could cause drag that slows down your gimbal.

OR

Buy a new Zenmuse H3-3D-2 with the ribbon cable (that is all you can buy new these days) and sell your H3-3D-1 online.    There is a ready market for fully functioning Hero Bus equipped H3-3D's out there among users who do not like the ribbon cable and still use GoPro Hero 3's.   You might get a pretty good price.  and that way you have a fully warranteed factory setup.  

Good luck, either way.
2014-11-5
Use props
buckames
lvl.2
United States

LenCO Posted at 2014-11-6 13:32
Thanks.  Good to know about 4k video & FPV

buckames, you have two choices.

Thanks.  I took the H3-3D Version 2 route and it works.  Seems GoPro and DJI could have been a bit more on top of this issue as opposed to the run-around.  Of course I jumped early on the GoPro 4 assuming it would be the same as the 3+ ... should have know better.  Happy to be up and operational.  Many thanks for your responses/direction.
2014-11-7
Use props
stryjek
lvl.3
United Kingdom

you can just buy a cheap 2.4ghz tx and rx and it will works fine.
2014-11-7
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Glad you got it sorted out.  

FWIW, I've had good luck improving the reliability of the ribbon cable with a dab of hot glue.
AP Studios ©2014-IMG_0139.jpg
2014-11-7
Use props
ssquidy
New

Netherlands

My GoPro Hero 4 Black doesn't send out anything through the USB port. I connected it to my Zenmuse H4-3D (dedicated for the Hero 4) but it only works with the Hero 3... Anyone else had this issue? There is just no analog video out..

Cheers.
2015-7-3
Use props
flyinphantom604
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53996 ft
Canada

i have exactly the same setup like you , worked since day one... although im not sure if i have h33d v2 or not... i guess its v2 since i havent had any trouble with it
2015-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules