P3 keeps losing signal with remote and app
12Next >
17656 41 2015-5-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

hello everyone. I've had no issues with my p3 pro until right now. I'm actually on a job site writing this from my car hoping someone might know a fix. My p3 keeps losing signal with the remote even if it's only 20 feet away. My app keeps throwing errors randomly and they don't stay long. It asked me to calibrate compass so I did. Sent it back up and again it lost remote signal and landed itself at the home point. I have no clue what's going on. Anyone know how I could fix this? I updated firmware for remote and p3 this morning. Very frustrating

edit/update: to clear things up, this is not an app issue. I lose complete control of the drone with the remote and can't even move my camera or change directions, etc... I saw a comment below about enabling "Enable Hardware Decode". Not entirely sure what that does but I did a quick 3 minute flight after I did that and didnt have the issue. Waiting for my battery to recharge so I can do another test later today.

Update #2: Still having the issue.  Doing the "enable hardware decode" didn't really help much at all.

Update #3: See response #29 for today's update on this.
2015-5-13
Use props
spencerpearse
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Did you get the latest Pilot app from DJI website?  It might be worth while uninstalling then re-installing it too.
2015-5-13
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

spencerpearse@b Posted at 2015-5-13 22:45
Did you get the latest Pilot app from DJI website?  It might be worth while uninstalling then re-ins ...

Yes I'm running iOS version 1.1.1, but the app isn't the problem. The drone literally drops signal from the remote and the red light on the remote shows it has no control over it anymore
2015-5-13
Use props
Phantom_Film
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1609482 ft
Greece

It could be a bad rc. Or bad antennas of the rc controller.
Maybe a long shot, but happened before in a friend of mine and his P2 V3.
Just a thought, chances are that is something simple i hope...
2015-5-13
Use props
romos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372369 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Same problem here and this after latest update. Have not found any fix or support to this ... and i tried.
2015-5-13
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

romos Posted at 2015-5-13 23:39
Same problem here and this after latest update. Have not found any fix or support to this ... and i  ...

It's very bizarre, it only started happening after the update just like for you. I literally have no flying capabilities since it only flies for a minute then I completely lose all control and it returns to home
2015-5-13
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

Ive had the exact same problem going from a samsung galaxy 6 edge (before update) to a brand new ipad mini 3 (after update). I posted a thread a few days ago and someone responded to try "enable hardware decode" in the camera settings. I tried it during one flight yesterday and I didnt get any video issues/lagging but the app shut down once, but was still able to control the bird.I sent DJI support a email about this issue on the 10th and still no respones? ill try some more test flight tonight.
2015-5-13
Use props
jayson
lvl.1

United States

Have you tried re-binding your remote to the p3?
2015-5-13
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Did you update both the P3 and the controller as well?
If so... And you still have the issue it sounds like a hardware problem.

2015-5-13
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

rincondanny Posted at 2015-5-14 00:06
Ive had the exact same problem going from a samsung galaxy 6 edge (before update) to a brand new ipa ...

Tried this and did a quick 3 minute flight and didnt have issues. Though, I only went 300ft up and about 800ft away. May be the fix. I'll find out when I do another run after my 1 battery charges (cough cough....DJI SEND ME 2ND BATTERY PLEASE)
2015-5-13
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

jayson Posted at 2015-5-14 00:23
Have you tried re-binding your remote to the p3?

No, but I will. I'm assuming there's directions in the guidebook?
2015-5-13
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2015-5-14 00:54
Did you update both the P3 and the controller as well?
If so... And you still have the issue it soun ...

Yes, both were updated
2015-5-13
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-14 00:55
Tried this and did a quick 3 minute flight and didnt have issues. Though, I only went 300ft up and ...

Sweet! please keep us updated on your test flights, as will I. once I get a chance to fly.
2015-5-13
Use props
suqsid.bobmail
lvl.3

United States

I just had the same thing happen to me today.

250 feet away and all of a sudden complete connection loss. First time ever. Freaked me out big time! I crapped enough pickles to open a deli.

I did see it eventually turn around and come home. So I purposefully did nothing until it was overhead. Got signal back, took control, and landed it.
2015-5-13
Use props
PublicRealtor
lvl.2

United States

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-14 00:55
Tried this and did a quick 3 minute flight and didnt have issues. Though, I only went 300ft up and ...

What trick? there are several suggestion poted here.
2015-5-13
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

PublicRealtor@g Posted at 2015-5-14 02:45
What trick? there are several suggestion poted here.

"enable hardware decode" in the camera settings.
2015-5-13
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Update, still having the issue.  Doing the "enable hardware decode" didn't really help much at all.
2015-5-13
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-14 05:13
Update, still having the issue.  Doing the "enable hardware decode" didn't really help much at all.

ya me either, now the app is shutting down during flight. the video lag got better but the screen would go black for a few seconds and I was within 100' of myself the whole time?  
2015-5-13
Use props
solsystem7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6550331 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since I don't have my Phantom yet, I can't confirm this will or won't work. But I viewed a  youtube tutorial recently which stated sometimes changing the image xmission frequency may help with video break up. You click on the HD icon in the upper left of the camera page in the application and change the image transmission frequency to custom instead of automatic. Then you can choose a clear channel, which may reduce interference. Here is the tutorial which talks about this: Good luck
2015-5-13
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please try to switch your channel from Automatic to Custom find the lowest signal for the location that you are flying in and lower the transmission rate to 4mbps.  That should help your issue.
2015-5-13
Use props
romos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372369 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Yes i done the update to both devices. Yes i had to re-bind after the second update and made changes to the Android system by enabling USB debugging mode.
BTW: Still no reply via email and the online 24hr support does nothing but use automated responses.
example from yesterday :@
DJI
18:50:13
您好,欢迎您访问!请问有什么需要咨询?
Hi,can i help you?
Hi
18:51:28
客服正在为您查询中,请稍等,谢谢配合。
Is there anything else I can do for you?
Although i have spoken with your online chat a few times with no solutions and you have sent me to EU email, i have not yet received any reply! The email has been sent since the 6th of May
18:52:40
客服正在为您查询中,请稍等,谢谢配合。
Have you done something for me?
18:53:50
Loosing signal in 140 meters
sudden drop of attitute
jello while panning
fly off
want more?
18:55:00
Warnings and errors coming and going by them self
18:56:07
客服正在为您查询中,请稍等,谢谢配合。
Have you done something for me?
Is this the support?
2015-5-13
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-14 11:44
Please try to switch your channel from Automatic to Custom find the lowest signal for the location t ...

I try this also. But it won't be for a few days Though. I hope this works. is this a know issue that dji is trying to fix? I also sent a email to dji on the 10th, how long dose it take to  respond?
2015-5-13
Use props
rincondanny
lvl.1

United States

Please try to switch your channel from Automatic to Custom find the lowest signal for the location t ...

I try this also. But it won't be for a few days Though. I hope this works. is this a know issue that dji is trying to fix? I also sent a email to dji on the 10th, how long dose it take to  respond

?
2015-5-13
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Will that help the transmission to the controller though? Attached are screenshots of what happens. I have good signal with the camera, but I lose controller signal (which obviously cuts signal to the video once I lose control).

Photo 1: Before take off just standing 3 feet away
Photo 2: You can see I actually am now within 2 feet away and the controller signal starts going away sporadically .
2015-5-14
Use props
coherent
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7411 ft
United States

Check your usb cable. Some don't connect really snug. I wish it had some type of locked connector. But if it wiggles a tiny bit during any movements, connection may momentarily be broken and signal may drop.
2015-5-14
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

coherent Posted at 2015-5-14 20:33
Check your usb cable. Some don't connect really snug. I wish it had some type of locked connector. B ...

From the controller? The P3 shouldn't disconnect from the controller based on usb connection since that usb is solely to view video on the app and make changes. I actually lose connection to the controller from the P3 which results in no signal to the app as well, since having no connection between controller and P3 means nothing is being broadcast into your app (from what I understand)
2015-5-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-14 20:15
Will that help the transmission to the controller though? Attached are screenshots of what happens ...

Show me your positioning of your Tx antennas.  They need to be pointed up and look like this from the front.  \ /  Make sure that your device does not block the signal.  What kind of environment are you flying in?  Wifi, I see metal building near by.  Any other sources of interference.
2015-5-14
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-14 23:31
Show me your positioning of your Tx antennas.  They need to be pointed up and look like this from  ...

I position my antennas parallel to eachother facing the sky.

Also, I have a few metal buildings around me, but I keep them roughly 100-200 feet away from take off. I'm still losing signal before I even get near them. I was able to fly from the same location last week and make an 8000ft flight, it was only after the update that this all started occurring.
2015-5-14
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-14 23:31
Show me your positioning of your Tx antennas.  They need to be pointed up and look like this from  ...

Ok, so I ended up just taking it out but unfortunately it was far too windy to fly the P3 today maybe it will slow down later. But, I still did some tests and messing around to look for a fix with the remote.

Photo 1: I noticed right away when I started it I had almost not remote signal again. So, this time I decided to reconnect the remote to the P3 through the app (start the reconnect, click the link button on side of P3). After I did that, I had full bars connection with remote! (YAY!!!!!!)

Photo 2: After having (hopefully) fixed the connection to remote issue just by re-establishing the connection, I wanted to find out if it still worked from a distance. Since it was so windy out, I really couldn't get an aerial test, so I walked as far as I could and even put 2 very large metal buildings in between myself and the drone that was also on the ground. I definitely lost video connection, which I figured would happen, but this time I never lost connection with the remote, which is what caused most of the issues from the day before. I'm hoping things are fixed now but I really won't know until weather gets a bit better to really try the signal test in the air.

Photo 3: just a pic I snapped of the P3 battling the wind. Kept it hovering a bit to see how well it did. Was cool to watch, definitely won't be sending it into the air though as it was getting pushed around quite hard on and off.
2015-5-14
Use props
PublicRealtor
lvl.2

United States

Excellent videos.
2015-5-14
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

So to sum things up here the solution was to rebind the remote controller after the FW updates even when there was no error message to do that? That would be great
2015-5-14
Use props
freebygsy
lvl.1
Guernsey

Same issue here,  loss of signal even when 1m away from aircraft.  Could be that the app is just faulty as mine also tells me I need to update the firmware on the aircraft even though it is at 1.1.8.  Also get an error about the video decoder. The unit seems to perform well though despite these warnings.

Normally a fault positive warning would get ignored but when it concerns something that is flying and may loose control I'm not 100% happy.

Rebinding the controller did not help.

I am using a not listed Android device (HTC)  will test again on a Nexus 9.
2015-5-14
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Daninho Posted at 2015-5-15 02:08
So to sum things up here the solution was to rebind the remote controller after the FW updates even  ...

as of now it looks like this is the answer. But again, today's wind made the flying conditions not possible to do a full test. Hoping to try tomorrow
2015-5-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

jwhite@schillin Posted at 2015-5-15 01:14
Ok, so I ended up just taking it out but unfortunately it was far too windy to fly the P3 today  ...

I am a little concerned with Photo 2.  Look at the home point of the Aircraft and then where the App thinks where the Tx is, the blue circle.  I would put your phone in Airplane mode.  
2015-5-14
Use props
jwhite
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-15 05:33
I am a little concerned with Photo 2.  Look at the home point of the Aircraft and then where the A ...

Should the home point be on the blue dot (where I actually was) ? I'm guessing the home point stayed there because I had just landed the P3 after letting it hover at 10 feet until noticing the wind was too much for it, then after landing I walked to where the blue dot is with the Controller and phone.
2015-5-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

That explains the difference.  Thank you.
2015-5-14
Use props
mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Does the p3 controller have gps built in or does it use the phones gps? And when I first installed the pilot app for my p3 there was a button on the screen that allowed me to reset the home point to where the controller is, why is that now gone? Am I over looking something? Now the only home point  is the one I take off from and j can't change it on demand anymore.  I liked that option because it allowed me to walk around and keep the home point to where I am at..

Any help would be appreciated

-Mark
2015-5-15
Use props
guewald
lvl.2
Flight distance : 314888 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Hi,

someone have solved the problem?
2015-5-28
Use props
shed14
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6854 ft
Australia

mark97564@gmail Posted at 2015-5-16 10:38
Does the p3 controller have gps built in or does it use the phones gps? And when I first installed t ...

hey mark,
the New DJI PILOT APP is now available, (vr 1.1.2)

you will  see the "set home" feature on the left side again
cheers
Harvey
2015-5-28
Use props
mark97564
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2067749 ft
United States

Yup,seen that yesterday... Thanks for the heads up
2015-5-28
Use props