12Next >
3248 40 2018-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dongster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 369764 ft
Indonesia

Being a wannabe film-maker, I've always aspired to own and film using a drone.
When the Mavic Air came out, it was a game changer to me, and I immediately bought a alphine white model within a week.

I shot extensively with it, and in a month, it had gone along with on 5 different cities across Asia.

Unfortunately it was met with an early demise in Bandung, Indonesia, when it landed into a tree.

I bought a second drone and brought it along with me to Perth, California, Arizona and came full circle back to Bandung today.

This time, I went up to a mountain and fired her up.
I'm not sure what's up with Bandung and my drones, but as I took off and started climbing, the drone suddenly tail-spinned out of the sky.

Landed into a dense 45 degree incline forest, we spent an hour searching to no avail. I ended up calling it off as searching for it was just too dangerous.
Using the coordinates, it would lead right into the spot it landed, but the drone just coulnd't be seen.

Shame, as I had bought DJI care here.

I've uploaded my log, if anyone's interested.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/D7K890ST8JDY8QCKTF1C/

For everyone else, please enjoy some videos I shot. Not buying any other drones. Sick of dealing with the pain of losing my drone.

2018-5-28
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

I am sorry for the lost. Please keep up because your footages are amazing. Hope you will change your mind.. All best wishes to you.
2018-5-28
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss. Flying drones in dense areas is risky... both forest and buildings.
I avoid as much as possible and choose less risky flights. I am on my first drone / over a year now.

Good luck!
~ Time will pass and you will buy another. It appears to be in your blood now. ;)
2018-5-28
Use props
Danger Lampost
lvl.4

United States

You're not a wannabe filmmaker. You are a filmmaker. More than anything, you told a story instead of just capturing some pretty video. You did a great job of mixing drone video with other video. Great editing.

I'm sorry for your loss. Should I add that my thoughts and prayers are with you too? Funny, but whenever someone loses their drone, everyone on this forum says, "I'm sorry for your loss," like someone just died. Well, maybe something did die: The joy you got from being a filmmaker.  May I suggest that maybe that inner filmmaker just went into hibernation and will come out again and want to play on another day? You may surprise yourself one day by deciding to purchase that next cool drone that comes out.
2018-5-28
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

Common mistakes for many first time pilots. Start to took great video immediately when get the drone before really participating their flight skill. It’s important to know the drone how it works and it’s limitations. Also need to learn how avoid dangerous and how to handle when facing issues. Need to start flying in safety place first. Only go to risky place when you capable to handle that. A skilful pilot is trained by hundreds flights.
2018-5-28
Use props
DJIFlo2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 208140 ft
United States

Don't give up. Not only your recording but also your editing skills are great. I am sorry for your loss! Maybe DJI can help with 30% off the body only... Again, I am sorry. I have been there.
2018-5-28
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I join all others in being sincerely sorry for your loss but also to encourage you to continue, your videos are excellent!
2018-5-28
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I fully agree with the guys above, great videos there, just one thing with drones, always ensure you have full sats before taking off ensure pre flight checklists are done homepoint is recorded. Dont give up and get back in the saddle. Most here have got burned but did not give up they got up dusted themselves and learnt from their mistakes.
2018-5-28
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Indonesia

guys, the crash second time was with the drone falling out of the sky - didn't hit anything

does anyone have any insight to why?
2018-5-28
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

I would open a ticket with DJI. Maybe they will tell you what happened, it might not even be anything you did wrong in which case they should replace your drone under warranty. It is interesting that both of your crashes happened in the same area. I did see a "Strong Aircraft Interference" message at one point in your log.
2018-5-28
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Indonesia

thank you, I'll drop a note today.

Can u tell what's cause it to fall?
2018-5-28
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft

Don’t fly anything you can’t afford to lose.
2018-5-28
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Fall out from sky is not normal. DJI should check is that hardware issue.
2018-5-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences. While it's discouraging to lose your drone and I'd feel exactly the same way you feel right now, the bright side is at least you have some amazing videos and memories from past experiences. Usually when you're having a difficult time it's best to take a break and de-stress the trial and tribulations of flying drones. Maybe with time will come a new reinvigorated spirit to give another go at using these drones?
2018-5-28
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Indonesia

thanks guys, I'll be sending the flight logs to DJI, will be interested to know what's the fallout cause, especially since I bought DJI refresh for this purpose, but since drone's un-retrievable, nothing I can do
2018-5-28
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

wow, sorry to hear about your drone.  
Your videos are amazing.,  as Danger said, you're not a wannabe.  You're a filmmaker.  Hopefully you'll eventually be able to add a drone back to your arsenal again.   
Good luck to you.
2018-5-28
Use props
Hurley1718
First Officer
Flight distance : 549295 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your loss. Your videos are great and I hope you get it sorted out.
2018-5-28
Use props
Kandomere
lvl.3
United States

GDL Posted at 2018-5-28 08:00
Common mistakes for many first time pilots. Start to took great video immediately when get the drone before really participating their flight skill. It’s important to know the drone how it works and it’s limitations. Also need to learn how avoid dangerous and how to handle when facing issues. Need to start flying in safety place first. Only go to risky place when you capable to handle that. A skilful pilot is trained by hundreds flights.

What's wrong with trying to take awesome shots right away? I don't see the drone in danger from any of these shots (at least the edited ones). He has a knack for shooting scenes that flow together.
2018-5-28
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

I had a look at your flight log mate and can see no anomolies. If you say that it spun on its descent, then that was after the log ends. Could you see if the battery became dislodged??
2018-5-28
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Indonesia

It was flying, and then suddenly just dropped. I couldn't find the drone though. But I always check to see if the battery is inserted correctly.

Also, my phone cache was full and didn't record the video, so I don't have something to look at aside from the log.
2018-5-28
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Hong Kong

The question is do you want to risk your drone to take the film? If don’t want to lose it there are lot more considerations:

Is the place safe to fly? Are you confident with the fly planned? Can the aircraft RTH safe on there? When things go wrong can I get my drone back on there?

Those are questions I will ask before takeoff. I did a lot of flying exercises on safe place before go out to filming. I fly MA over 60 times and still not crash it.
2018-5-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very sad to hear!
2018-5-28
Use props
sky6105
Second Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss.
Don't quit now your videos are awesome. It's just a matter of time
you will get another one. Just stay out of Bandung, Indonesia.
2018-5-29
Use props
iCharlie17
lvl.2
Flight distance : 51516 ft
Spain

I don't get how why some of you say it's his fault that the drone decides to drop from the sky.

Sorry for your loss.
2018-5-29
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to read that. Hopefully DJI will take sympathy on this situation and reach an amicable position for you to get back in the air asap. I hope you do as your footage is excellent.
2018-5-29
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

That’s a shame because you have some really nice videos
2018-5-29
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

If the TX link was all good, then I'm calling a catastrophic power outage. The batteries looked fine in the log, it just stopped.
You said that you saw it spin to the ground?? Could you see anything on the screen, even though it wasn't recording?
2018-5-29
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dongster Posted at 2018-5-28 17:16
guys, the crash second time was with the drone falling out of the sky - didn't hit anything

does anyone have any insight to why?

My best guess is battery, prop or motor failure. Typically those 3 things will be the only things to make a drone drop from the sky. (bad compass would cause erratic flight then fall out of sky or hit stuff smashing into bits.)
2018-5-29
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Sorry for your loss, took a look at your flight data. Looks like you took off with less than minimum GPS satellites locked on, it did gain additional satellites later in the flight, there was no Home Point recorded which probably kept the drone in GPS-Atti Mode, many GPS errors as well as initial GPS reception being low.

2018-5-29
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

I agree with your interpretation of the log QK, but the flight was straight and purposefull and eventually at some height (80+mtrs.)
Not the typical rooky operator in Atti mode, drifting in the wind?
Also, what adds to the interpretation of the log is this appeared to be a rushed flight, those batteries on the Air will fall right out if not secured correctly.
2018-5-29
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Singapore

Any possible hit by bird or something?
2018-5-29
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

Dont think so GDL because the log ends so abrubtly. Either link lost or power failure I think. But happy to be proved wrong!
2018-5-29
Use props
ShadyDealer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 983428 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

Indonesia laws are very against the use of drones. From what I understand from researching recently they can use signal jammers to interfere with drone transmissions.  May be slim but maybe th ereason why your drone went awol. Did you allow sufficient time for gps etc?
2018-5-29
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
United States

very rural area, nearly impossible

I'm still investigating with DJI warranty experts right now.
2018-5-30
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

As others have said, it would be a shame if you quit.  You've got some talent.  Good luck.
2018-5-30
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

Never let something like this make you quit you have to get right back up and keep going.  Life is always about throwing things at us and is up to us to keep our head up and go forward.  Hope you continue your passion and not let something like this keep you down.
2018-5-30
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, your videos are amazing.  You're truly a filmmaker. Please don't give up.
I'm sorry for your loss and I hope you'll have the courage to keep drone filming.
2018-5-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry for your loss, you are indeed a filmmaker, the video is amazing, hope everything will turn out to be great, if you need any assistance, please post the case number here, we will do our best to help.
2018-6-3
Use props
moulinrouge
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119065 ft
Indonesia

For DJI: I know you guys have put a lot of emergency features on this lovely piece of machine, but an improvement on how to locate and recover lost drone is needed, especially when a drone crashed.

Some people successfully found their drones, some others did not.
Some others put a tracker on their drones.

I seldom find myself lost in the parking lot. I use my car-lock alarm to locate my car.
A button to make a drone beeps? Practical enough?
It makes us feel much much much more secure.

--------
So sorry to hear your story man. I hope you are able to fly again.
Will avoid Bandung and Tangkuban Perahu for the time being.
2018-6-4
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Australia

That function is already available in 'find my drone' in the app...
2018-6-5
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules