RTH Altitude Setting
4495 6 2014-11-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stmichael911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 526060 ft
United States

I live in a rural area (North East Wisconsin) and have some nice open ground to fly from. I also have some forests (Maple, Oak, White Pine) along the borders of the property. What would be a good safe RTH Altitude setting?

I'm just terrible in estimating height!

First Flight was Awesome!!
2014-11-1
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

75 or 80 meters is pretty tree safe, but there are no absolutes.  
2014-11-1
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

As long as you are flying above any obstacles it will be fine, if you lose the control signal the Phantom will start its return to home at whatever altitude it was flying at.
It will only rise to 20m (default setting) if it was below that height when control is lost.
2014-11-1
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Fly around the area, rise to the level of the highest obstacles, and note the altitude on your screen.  Then set your RTH several feet higher.
2014-11-1
Use props
hd_ultra
lvl.3

United States

There should be a website for your area that will tell you the height of trees in your area. Here in MO the tallest tree is 120 feet.
Do a google search for trees in you state. So with that said I set my RTH to 150'.
2014-11-1
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2014-11-2 02:17
As long as you are flying above any obstacles it will be fine, if you lose the control signal the Ph ...

The new update will let you set the RTH altitude to any height you want above your takeoff point..
2014-11-1
Use props
stmichael911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 526060 ft
United States

Thank You for the excellent replies..i did set my RTH for 250 feet and that seemed too high, as my experience increases I just may run it up alongside a tall white pine and watch my altimeter. Did google Wisconsin Trees and couldn't find any thing specific to Avg height ...again Thanks
2014-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules