200m away, Spark loosing connection, GPS and compass, all on same...
123Next >
3760 87 2018-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 500597 ft
Sweden

200m away, Spark loosing connection, GPS and compass, all on same time, and the Spark fly away!

I have problems with Spark loosing video link and connection after 100-200m distance. I has happend several times, and yes, I have a remote controller, not just the phone.

Last time it happend it also lost GPS (with 20 sat showing just a second before) and it also lost the compass!!! And yes, I have calibrated both the compass and the imu. And it showed green before flight and green after flight.

Is was so scary then it lost GPS, the Sparks started to fly away in one direction in full speed (50km/h) for next second switch to another direction. And error messages just flowed on the iPhone-screen. It was so scarry!!!

Look as 55 seconds in the clip there the Spark is RTH, and suddenly, I get ”Weak GPS”, and then alot stange happens...

VIDEO showing my flight:

I found the Spark this time, but my heart made extra rpm... But is what you can expect or is the Spark faulty???

2018-5-29
Use props
BerkoZg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2628 ft
Croatia

Some Scarry sh... glad you find spark.
2018-5-29
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Thomas,

if you like upload your flightrecord and post the url on here. (http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/)

cheers JJB
2018-5-29
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341073 ft
United Kingdom

This error and then 'fly-away' has been happening far too much and all around the world for it to be a coincidence/user error. I experienced it myself and its nerve-wracking to say the least. I'm convinced its a problem with the .900 firmware and i've rolled mine back to .701. No problems since, thankfully. I can't recall seeing this 'cascade' of errors before the .900 update.
2018-5-29
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
Flight distance : 903350 ft
  • >>>
Spain

While you were scared, have you done anything to control your drone in ATTI mode or were you just praying?
2018-5-30
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

In most cases, more than 95%, it is the pilot's fault. In your case the same thing happens, it has been 100% your fault. With a 22% battery, the only thing the drone can do is landing, right where it is. With 22% battery the drone was 230m away from the Home Point and in ATTI Mode. Nobody could bring this drone back to home in this situation.

2018-5-30
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-30 00:50
In most cases, more than 95%, it is the pilot's fault. In your case the same thing happens, it has been 100% your fault. With a 22% battery, the only thing the drone can do is landing, right where it is. With 22% battery the drone was 230m away from the Home Point and in ATTI Mode. Nobody could bring this drone back to home in this situation.

[view_image]

Agree with Aurelian.
2018-5-30
Use props
DMX_MT
First Officer
Malta

Just watch this and ENCOURAGE others New Pilots to start learning what -

ATTI MODE means. Its the cause of 95% of all Flyaways. (As Aurelian says)

Also always do a PreFlight Checklist including - Checking Compass, GPS Satellite Lock (Over 11 Satellites will be Ok), Sensors, Propellers etc... Hover few seconds, check all Movements are ok, and Fly Safe.

2018-5-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

How about you post the video of the flight again, but this time you ad the stick movements to the play?
And you may get more info, following the advice of JJBspark

2018-5-30
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-30 04:44
How about you post the video of the flight again, but this time you ad the stick movements to the play?
And you may get more info, following the advice of JJBspark

He has already removed the part of the video where the application warned him that he was running out of battery. What he has done has been to cancel the RTH. When you do this, the drone enters in ATTI mode. There are 2 options:
1. He did not know very well what he was doing and how to control his drone
2. He had his drone with some brands or problems due to his own fault and now he wants to take advantage of the service of DJI and receive a new drone for free.
This last option is practiced a lot but unfortunately for users who act like this, this practice does not succeed.
2018-5-30
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-5-30 04:11
Just watch this and ENCOURAGE others New Pilots to start learning what -

ATTI MODE means ! Its the cause of 95% of all Flyaways ! (As Aurelian says)

He has already removed the part of the video where the application warned him that he was running out of battery. What he has done has been to cancel the RTH. When you do this, the drone enters ATTI mode. There are 2 options:
1. He did not know very well what he was doing and how to control his drone
2. He had his drone with some brands or problems due to his own fault and now he wants to take advantage of the service of DJI and receive a new drone for free.
This last option is practiced a lot but unfortunately for users who act like this, this practice does not succeed.
2018-5-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

In most cases, more than 95%, it is the pilot's fault. In your case the same thing happens, it has been 100% your fault. With a 22% battery, the only thing the drone can do is landing, right where it is. With 22% battery the drone was 230m away from the Home Point and in ATTI Mode. Nobody could bring this drone back to home in this situation.

[view_image]

Seriously?!?!
Let's assume very moderate speed of Spark... 20km/h... = 5.5m/s.
Battery time indicator says there is enough juice for 2:56 minutes but let's not push it too hard, let's say 2 minutes left = 120s.
120 x 5.5 = 660m.... so, yes, if could be brought home fpv, not once but almost three times.
2018-5-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-5-30 05:22
Seriously?!?!
Battery time indicator says there is enough juice for 2:56 minutes but let's not push it too hard, let's say 2 minutes left = 120s.

Yep
Been there done that.
20% juice is more as I often have at 250 or more meters.
And mostly I am still higher as just 30ms, then.

I would really like to see the stick movements.
Since the RC didn't lose the connection, there were a lot of options to bring the bird back, even in ATTI
Also the flight record via phantom help would shine a bit light.
2018-5-30
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-5-30 05:22
Seriously?!?!

Seriously, 3 times ?! I would like to see a demonstration. It would be very interesting. If you get it, you would be my favorite pilot for a lifetime. And if there is a strong wind? Would it also be possible?
2018-5-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-30 05:35
Seriously, 3 times ?! I would like to see a demonstration. It would be very interesting. If you get it, you would be my favorite pilot for a lifetime. And if there is a strong wind? Would it also be possible?

Here you go, fella.... at 22% juice, spark is > 1.9km far away. Enjoy the rest of the video.

Actually, pretty much every Spark range test video can show you 22% is more than enough for 230m distance...
2018-5-30
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

i think in this case, the pilot panicked and tried to do some stick movements which SPARK did not respond.
Also these fly aways are seen mostly on IOS devices !!
2018-5-30
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

MKPSG12 Posted at 2018-5-29 23:34
This error and then 'fly-away' has been happening far too much and all around the world for it to be a coincidence/user error. I experienced it myself and its nerve-wracking to say the least. I'm convinced its a problem with the .900 firmware and i've rolled mine back to .701. No problems since, thankfully. I can't recall seeing this 'cascade' of errors before the .900 update.

there is no need to roll back to 0.701. 0.9000 is the best firmware for SPARK. the GO4 app may be going nuts
2018-5-30
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

S.J Posted at 2018-5-30 05:57
i think in this case, the pilot panicked and tried to do some stick movements which SPARK did not respond.
Also these fly aways are seen mostly on IOS devices !!

You mean Android devices, no iOS.
2018-5-30
Use props
Aurelian (Spark)
First Officer
  • >>>
Spain

eYeSkYeYe Posted at 2018-5-30 05:48
Here you go, fella.... at 22% juice, spark is > 1.9km far away. Enjoy the rest of the video.

https://youtu.be/KwoAvHAxrnM?t=4m36s

Sorry, but I don’t believe it. Fly that distance with 0% battery...
2018-5-30
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-30 07:13
You mean Android devices, no iOS.

i mean ios devices.
2018-5-30
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Aurelian (Spark) Posted at 2018-5-30 07:19
Sorry, but I don’t believe it. Fly that distance with 0% battery...

Come on, you know that 0% on Display is a DJI app setting (3.xx Volt=0%)
But in the air, the spark will not switch off till the battery is deeply discharged and can't provide any power anymore.
I don't even know, would the motors or the Spark switch off, if on the ground with 0%?

And even if my flight log from 770m with 7% batt, from 22% to 15%, is different, b/c in GPS and not in Atti, it shows that you could get a Spark back, easily, from just over 200m, but still having 20% batt left.
It's LOS, needs aproxymate 1-2% batt to find out where the nose of the bird is, but after that it is "straight forward (backwards it would be for me.;-)
I still would like to see the RC stick movings in the log!

7m15.jpg
777m22.jpg
2018-5-30
Use props
Sibstr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288940 ft
Czechia

In most cases, more than 95%, it is the pilot's fault. In your case the same thing happens, it has been 100% your fault. With a 22% battery, the only thing the drone can do is landing, right where it is. With 22% battery the drone was 230m away from the Home Point and in ATTI Mode. Nobody could bring this drone back to home in this situation.

[view_image]

Adjudicate without flight record is hasty and bad in every case! 230 meters and 22% of the battery in ATTI mode may not be a problem, but you must have a lot of experience, nothing for newbie.
2018-5-30
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

I think many people here can't see the tree from the bushes...

While it is true that many ACs could have been saved with proper ATTI mode experience I don't think it is fair to bash them for this. Spark SHOULD NOT loose a stable GPS lock randomly - I know sometimes many other errors contribute to crashes but random GPS losses should not happen in my opinion. Stupid example: would I be responsible for a car crash in pitch black if suddenly all the lights were gone in my car? :₩ Just my 10 cents, happy flying! ;)
2018-5-30
Use props
JimboHUN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 37156 ft
Hungary

And to the poster: without uploading the log files it is hard to advise...
2018-5-30
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Kuwait

i think it is high time the RTH needs a hard wire when the battery hits the low % mark so that there is no excuse that the pilot made an error.
All inputs must be disabled while RTH is in action to prove each case from any user intervention.
2018-5-30
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

JJBspark Posted at 2018-5-29 22:33
Hi Thomas,

if you like upload your flightrecord and post the url on here. (http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/)

I have be glad to do that!
2018-5-30
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

JJBspark Posted at 2018-5-29 22:33
Hi Thomas,

if you like upload your flightrecord and post the url on here. (http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/)

It’s no way i can not use my iPad or iPhone to get to the logs? I need iTunes, right?
I see the folder ”ExportFlightRecords” in iTunes but I can’t understand how to open it to find the csv-file in iTunes!!!
2018-5-30
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

[view_image]

You are probably 100% right. Others in the forums say you are.

1. I am new to drones and new to this forum.
2. But I’m a 53 year old techno nerd, that have tried most of new technology during the years...
3. I’m started navigate in car around in Europe 98 with GPS an a Psion S5 in 1998.
4. I have sailingboat with a 10 year old Garmin GPS and electronic compass. I also use iPads as plotters for sea-navigation.
5. During my last 10 years I have not lost GPS connection a single time in my boat and I have only lost GPS signal in tunnels when using my car.
6. I have had problems with loosing connection several times, that made me try on a big free open green field to see if problems occurs again. And if it did, it’s more chance to recover my Spark again.
7. When I start getting problems in the video I had more than 30% battery left, more than 4 min flytime, and just 200m away from my home position.
8. 200m with 13 m/s makes it just 15 seconds to come back in sport mode. So why on earth do you say the only way for the drone was just to land there were no time for doing anything else?
9. When I got the battery warning and RTH warning The Spark was uncontrollable for a long period of time.
10. I want my Spark to take photos in the archipilago fo Sweden. When I saw unexpected problems I moved to a big open green field. 120km from the ocean. I have no winning to get a new Spark. I JUST WANT TO KEEP WHAT I HAVE.
11. Then problem occured, I tried to stop Spark from RTH, because I have read post saying ”don’t panic. Try to get control back of the Spark again”. So that was what I did. But the Spark did alot of movement by it self, without GPS an d Compass.
12. And I nothing to hide. I will make a new videoupload with the whole flight in x1 speed with controls.
13. I have tried to upload the csv-logfiles as well but iTunes doesn’t let me enter ExportFlightRecords” folder and I can’t google a solution how to get the log out of the iPad itself, without iTunes.

I don’t want to loose my Spark! I wrote this because DJI says that Spark had alot safety features built in. But if the drone can lose wifi control (just 200m away on a big open green field on a countryside, with no electrical noice) at the same time as it looses 20 satellites as well as compass, I feel uncomfortable with my effort be able to keep my Spark, regardless how carefull I am.

Do I have too much demands?

(I must add that I’m VERY impressed about all technology and features that are built in in Spark. But again it must feel safe to use!)
9. The
2018-5-30
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

ThomasLydhig Posted at 2018-5-30 13:44

11b. There were no strong winds at the time. I could clearly see that Spark was moving with top speed in different directions. It was NOT ATTI drifting by the wind.
2018-5-30
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

ThomasLydhig Posted at 2018-5-30 13:44

I’m not yet able to get out the logfile (please advice me how to do it on a iPad or PC).

I have uploaded a new video showing the last 6 minutes of flight. The last 40% of battery.
This clip is NOT EDITED IN ANY WAY, it’s a 6 minute clip in x1 speed.  Jumps you see on the screen are jumps showing on my iPad/iPhone during playback of the flight.

2018-5-30
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

ThomasLydhig Posted at 2018-5-30 14:13
I’m not yet able to get out the logfile (please advice me how to do it on a iPad or PC).

I have uploaded a new video showing the last 6 minutes of flight. The last 40% of battery.

Now I just found out how to download the csv file from iTunes to pc. But now I’m failing upload it to  Phantom help. I have tried on PC and iPad. I get the error message:

Error: Upload timed out. If this continues to happen, please contact Mike@PhantomHelp.com.
2018-5-30
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

ThomasLydhig Posted at 2018-5-30 22:06
Now I just found out how to download the csv file from iTunes to pc. But now I’m failing upload it to  Phantom help. I have tried on PC and iPad. I get the error message:

Error: Upload timed out. If this continues to happen, please contact .

Hi, you have to find your flightrecord.txt file. Must be on your phone a a subfolder (flightrecords) under the DJI folder. This TXT file (not a csv file) is the file you can upload.
so find a txt file in the format (this in an example file name) "DJIFlightRecord_2017-11-16_[14-00-08].txt".

Cheers
JJB
2018-5-30
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

I still can’t upload to phantomhelp.

But here are a dropbox link to my file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9yqwgwiwgffzzfd/ExportCSV_2018-05-26_%5B21-14-26%5D.csv?dl=0
2018-5-31
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

I made my own analyze of the log file:
I lost gps signal 7 times in two different sequences in the flight. Total time without gos were 79,3 sec.

13. I have to clearify that this flight was with clear sky, no trees etc was covering the sky at any time.

14. I had 19-20 satellites during the problempart of the flight. Even in ”weak gps” spark said 19-20 satellites all time.

How is the Spark programmed? What should it do when it get ”weak gps”? And how is it programmed if it looses compass too? What should it do?
2018-05-31 10_32_42-exportcsv_2018-05-26_[21-14-26].csv - excel.png
2018-5-31
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

ThomasLydhig Posted at 2018-5-31 00:15
I still can’t upload to phantomhelp.

But here are a dropbox link to my file:

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-5-31
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
United Kingdom

[view_image]

How exactly is the Spark losing GPS lock, when the display clearly shows a ton of satellites and strong signal a fault of the pilot??

And you can clearly see the Spark indication arrow jumping all over the place, this is not "wind drift" FGS, its a problem with the soft/firm ware telling the Spark it should be in one place when its actually in another, then it taking off at top speed to get to where its instruments are telling it, it 'should' be.
2018-5-31
Use props
MKPSG12
lvl.4
United Kingdom

S.J Posted at 2018-5-30 05:59
there is no need to roll back to 0.701. 0.9000 is the best firmware for SPARK. the GO4 app may be going nuts

Well i've been using the same app the whole time and only ever got the cascade error/attempted fly away after going to .900. I've been using the same app ever since rolling back to .701 and not experienced the same problem since. I also think its far more likely that a fireware problem would cause the errors shown rather than an app problem.
2018-5-31
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-31 01:05

...still it’s not possible to upload. I hve send an email to mike@phantomhel. I have tried through 3 different devices with two different networks for 4 hours...
2018-5-31
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

S-e-ven Posted at 2018-5-31 01:05

...still it’s not possible to upload. I hve send an email to mike@phantomhel. I have tried through 3 different devices with two different networks for 4 hours...
2018-5-31
Use props
ThomasLydhig
lvl.2
Sweden

MKPSG12 Posted at 2018-5-31 01:26
How exactly is the Spark losing GPS lock, when the display clearly shows a ton of satellites and strong signal a fault of the pilot??

And you can clearly see the Spark indication arrow jumping all over the place, this is not "wind drift" FGS, its a problem with the soft/firm ware telling the Spark it should be in one place when its actually in another, then it taking off at top speed to get to where its instruments are telling it, it 'should' be.

”How exactly is the Spark losing GPS lock, when the display clearly shows a ton of satellites and strong signal a fault of the pilot??”

Yes, that’s my question too. And I can’t understand how this can be my fault? What should I do to avoid this? Or is it a fault in hardware or software of the Spark?

”And you can clearly see the Spark indication arrow jumping...”
This movement was out of my control. As I said it was soft winds on a plain green field. My spark made those movements in high speed, sometimes it had gps signal and then it updated the position in the log and sometimes it just ran blind (Sportmode speed).

What conclusion do you draw on the new information I have been given?

2018-5-31
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules