Stuck on what to buy
920 15 2018-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobIW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi,

Just wanted to ask for some advice on drones before i pull the plug on an air or a pro. Keen photographer and wanted to expand the type of shots i get so looking at what to buy. Phantom 4 etc is a bit too big for me as i often go out on the mtb or walking to explore new locations. I have always flown RC planes and helis and not too worried about ease of flight etc.

I have read loads of reviews on the video, range, noise debate etc and the air and pro seem to have pretty similar prices currently and if i am mostly taking photographs, is there any advice on which to buy?

Any help would be great from users perspectives.

2018-5-30
Use props
GDL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

If you just talking the photo quality MA and MP are quite similar. Main difference is the size, weight, range and fly time. One consideration is MP is becoming outdated. You may want to wait for MP2 expected arrive later this year. It should get a much better camera.
2018-5-30
Use props
Bill B
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Mavic pro! I own both the air and the pro, I would recommend the pro any day. Much better quality and stability. Hence the word PRO. compact and easy to travel with. I carry mine in a small backpack with everything I need.
2018-5-30
Use props
M2Wair
First Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

As I own both I would highly recommend either, both are exceptional aircraft. Not had an issue with distance whatsoever with either air or pro. The pro has longer flight times, but hey just buy more batteries for the air. Both are great.
2018-5-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

As a first drone do not disregard the Spark, it’s a great little aircraft, yes it doesn’t have all the other two have, but it has plenty and the value for money is exceptional, it takes really great photos and excellent video and comes packed with with all sorts of fun extras.
It flys like a dream can handle wind every bit as good as Mavic Pro , and for such a small aircraft it has great speed in sports mode.
2018-5-30
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I just sold my Mavic Pro Platinum as never flew it since buying the Mavic Air. The MA is a 2018 drone, the MP is a 2016 drone. As a very first drone I agree with Hallmark to also consider the Spark.  
2018-5-30
Use props
Optimus Prime-Mavic Air
Second Officer
Flight distance : 568704 ft
Vietnam

On the side of photography, i suggest to buy a Mavic Pro Platinum combo. That's all you need for great image. Of course if you buy it at dji official store, you can unbox and test right away if any issue with camera like blurry, soft so you can change other unit immediately. Good luck
2018-5-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

I will share with you my similar situation and purchasing decision. I got the DJI Spark in the beginning of the year before Mavic Air was out and had become pleasantly surprised with photo and video quality of the Spark as well as its functionality. Because I enjoyed the Spark so much, I decided to add another DJI drone that was 4K with 3-axis gimbal stabilization. Considering both the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro, the two biggest differentiating factors that led me to purchase the Mavic Pro was its longer flight time and longer range. I felt the Mavic Pro was more of a step up from the Spark than the Mavic Air, the debate over camera quality wasn't really enough of a differentiating factor as was moving up from WiFi to OcuSync. Both the Spark and Mavic Air use Enhanced WiFi, yet until recently only the Mavic Pro uses OcuSync. The fact Mavic Pro pricing has dropped down to same as Mavic Air, made my ultimate decision pretty simple having paid a discount for the more expensive feature of OcuSync.
2018-5-30
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

MP hands down.
2018-5-30
Use props
RobIW
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you for all the information. Its interesting to read about the pros and cons and what peoples real experiences are, I guess flight time is a big issue for some people. Only thing that I wonder about the Pro is if a new one comes out, will it still be supported with updates etc, as I am new to it all I'm not sure how this works.

Any issues flying over water with them as well ?
2018-5-30
Use props
gcomfx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119613 ft
United States

RobIW Posted at 2018-5-30 07:22
Thank you for all the information. Its interesting to read about the pros and cons and what peoples real experiences are, I guess flight time is a big issue for some people. Only thing that I wonder about the Pro is if a new one comes out, will it still be supported with updates etc, as I am new to it all I'm not sure how this works.

The Pro or the Air?  I've had some interesting results with water.  Both videos can be found here: https://forum.dji.com/thread-150550-1-1.html
2018-5-30
Use props
3-D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 635764 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for all the information. Its interesting to read about the pros and cons and what peoples real experiences are, I guess flight time is a big issue for some people. Only thing that I wonder about the Pro is if a new one comes out, will it still be supported with updates etc, as I am new to it all I'm not sure how this works.

If they do release a new Mavic Pro (which hasn't been announced yet) they will definitely still support the older one.  At least for a little while.  and even after that, it will likely still fly.  The Phantom3 is still supported, and it's 5 years old.

You really can't go wrong with either the Pro or the Air.  

The Air is slightly smaller than the Pro when folded.  Both are phenomenal drones.  The biggest differences are Range and battery life.  If you are keeping the drone close (visual line of sight) then range won't matter.  Only battery life.

Also keep in mind, that if you are looking to add this as an option to professional photography, you'll also need to get your Part 107 license (no matter which you choose.)  But having flown RC planes and helis, you probably already know that.
2018-5-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

My suggestion would be the Mavic Pro Fly More  Combo.  (not the Platinum, that 'just' gives you some more flight time, but the MP already has great flight time)
I know it's not the latest drone, but the lens is a bit better than the 'Air' lens. Less wide (that is actually a bonus when in the air, in my opinion) and a bit sharper.
Also the range is (much) better than the 'Air'.

Get some experience flying and taking pictures and while waiting for the MP2 to arrive.
Once that got cheaper, you will know if you have a real need for a better drone and also the beta testers (first buyers) will have made the MP2 even better.
Remember, both drones have 'just' a smartphone camera. So don't expect anything like a DSLR for picture quality.
2018-5-30
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

2 words:

Mavic Pro.

Period.

O.K., 3 words....
2018-5-31
Use props
HoosierT
lvl.2
Flight distance : 93219 ft

My vote is for the Macic Air with Raptor SR. I just installed the raptor and it’s incredible how perfect my video feed is now.
2018-6-1
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Depends on what you really want.

Mavic Air is best drone for traveling and backpacking.. but comes at the compromise of slightly loss in battery life and range.

Mavic Pro is a great travel drone with a lot of manual settings and features that if you are into pro level photo/video work is way better. Plus get occusync which interns of signal reliability is above all.  Battery life is great as well.

Phantom 4 is way to large and awkward to even consider as a traveling drone, however get decent link quality and really good battery life.  More of a no compromise drone..great camera, great feature set, great range, great battery..but horrible to travel with realistically give its size and shape and weight.  Personally not really into it..

The spark is mostly just a fun drone,.. not really great at anything, but not bad at anything either.. it’s affordable, fun and portable.. range is meh, video is decent battery life is meh.  

Inspire 2... hella expensive, but like the phantom 4, horrible travel drone give its size and shape and weight but in terms of pro features, unbeatable.

Way I look at it is like this.. best camera is the camera you have with you.. you can have an amazing camera setup but completely pointless if it’s just sitting at home while you go hiking or travel the world it’s left in hotel room..

If it was me, and I was new to the drone market.. Mavic Air is what I would pick.  I own a Mavic Pro, I love it a lot, but I would opt for the Mavic Air over the pro any day if I was just jumping into drones because I can take it anywhere and basically protected better and it fits in more places, and the best camera is the one you have with you.. .
2018-6-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules