FRAP - How do you use it [SOLVED]
7108 26 2018-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ken Storm
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178583 ft
United Kingdom

I have downloaded a copy of FRAP (Flight Record Analysis Program) and also got the TXTlogToCSVtool it requires.
However I'm still struggling to get it to work, does anyone know of any tutorials / vids that detail how to use it / set it up for Win10 x64.

I get:
Capture.PNG

Any Idea's

2018-5-31
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

There were a few bugs with the earlier versions, you can d/load the latest version from my dropbox HERE Down load the .ZIP file. Make sure you delete the old version and start from scratch with the latest version, JJBsparks tweeked this one and it works with W10
2018-5-31
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Thanks for the link, but the file properties seem  to imply its the same version as the one I got before (2.8.3.2)

It also gives the same error.

I ran the txt to csv convertor by itself and it does convert the file, I get a CSV which excel can load, so it seems the issue is that FRAP cannot load the file.

2018-5-31
Use props
gofaster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113720 ft
United States

If the location of flight record .txt file is more than a few directories deep, try moving it closer to the root.
2018-5-31
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

QuadKid Posted at 2018-5-31 01:56
There were a few bugs with the earlier versions, you can d/load the latest version from my dropbox HERE Down load the .ZIP file. Make sure you delete the old version and start from scratch with the latest version, JJBsparks tweeked this one and it works with W10

I just downloaded FRAP.
I have the same problem Ken has. I get the same error.
It just won't convert the txt file.
Is there a tutorial that shows how to use it?

I have separate folders for the TXT files like the readme files says to do.
Usigng W10
2018-5-31
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12260774 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi all,

The converter tool is used from within FRAP; it does not convert txt files if they are too "far away" from the root.
So make a directory close too the root (i.e. x:\flightrecords) for your flighrecord.txt files, doesn`t matter where you put the FRAP exe.

PS1 in the FRAP about box you see my email, if you like to contact me outside this forum.
PS2 when i am happy with the program i will (if i have time) write help documentation.
PS3 next week update version 3.2 with some major changes (export to txt and xlsx) and value read-out on few charts.

Cheers
JJB (developper FRAP)

2018-5-31
Use props
Ken Storm
Second Officer
United Kingdom

OK thanks JJBSpark, I moved everything from C:\Temp\DJI Analysis FRAP W10 to C:\Temp, now it loads.

I'm guessing your code does not cope well with " " (space characters) in the path to the txt file.

So for me this is solved. I guess B1houdini has the same issue, so could be the same solution.
2018-5-31
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ken Storm Posted at 2018-5-31 23:15
OK thanks JJBSpark, I moved everything from C:\Temp\DJI Analysis FRAP W10 to C:\Temp, now it loads.

I'm guessing your code does not cope well with " " (space characters) in the path to the txt file.

Hi Ken, as i did grow up in the old-DOS age i am not used to use " " characters in path names etc.
Will simulate that and see what kind of error pops-up, and program that error out.
cheers
JJB
2018-5-31
Use props
Dewey3
lvl.2
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-5-31 23:18
Hi Ken, as i did grow up in the old-DOS age i am not used to use " " characters in path names etc.
Will simulate that and see what kind of error pops-up, and program that error out.
cheers

Greetings.  You may already know this, but if not... the quotes (") are used to preserve the path for names that are outside of the legal DOS 8.3 file names.  You would encase the entire path in quotes if any part of it is outside of DOS' standards.  An example is if you wanted to load the foobar.ini file located in Program Files\This Path\foobar.ini, instead of using \PROGRA~1\THISPA~1\foobar.ini, you could use "\Program Files\This Path\foobar.ini".  You can drop down into a command prompt and use the change directory (CD) command to see how the quotes work in action.  Sorry for getting away from the original topic, but I am just hoping that this would help with your great FRAP contribution to the community.
2018-6-1
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dewey3 Posted at 2018-6-1 02:57
Greetings.  You may already know this, but if not... the quotes (") are used to preserve the path for names that are outside of the legal DOS 8.3 file names.  You would encase the entire path in quotes if any part of it is outside of DOS' standards.  An example is if you wanted to load the foobar.ini file located in Program Files\This Path\foobar.ini, instead of using \PROGRA~1\THISPA~1\foobar.ini, you could use "\Program Files\This Path\foobar.ini".  You can drop down into a command prompt and use the change directory (CD) command to see how the quotes work in action.  Sorry for getting away from the original topic, but I am just hoping that this would help with your great FRAP contribution to the community.

Thanks, the quotes i used here to indicate a space character. FARP doesn`t use the " " as it is.
I have no knowledge about the converter tool, so the quick  solution is a) not use space characters in the path en b) stay close to the root of a drive-letter.

Cheers JJB
2018-6-1
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

Ken Storm Posted at 2018-5-31 23:15

I got it to work. I had the root file called C: FRAP editor/….. I renamed it C:FRAP/
Now it works.
2018-6-1
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

JJBspark Posted at 2018-5-31 23:18
cheers

Good of you to do so.  A minor problem that can be difficult to deal with and check for.  Speaking from - having had to deal with user who thought it would be cute to try to hide a directory of N.S.W. files using some special characters.
2018-6-1
Use props
fanscee0ea08
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

excellent program , i like it alot. Is it ok to share ?
2018-6-2
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Flight distance : 595518 ft
Spain

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-1 10:42
I got it to work. I had the root file called C: FRAP editor/….. I renamed it C:FRAP/
Now it works.

I have done. Convert txt to csv. But it does not load any data. Does it work with spark logs?
2018-6-3
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

QQRUCH Posted at 2018-6-3 10:57
I have done. Convert txt to csv. But it does not load any data. Does it work with spark logs?

I believe it was developed for the Spark. I am using it with the Mavic Pro
Here is how   I made it work.
Make a root directory and call it FRAP     C:\FRAP
In that Root add the FRAP.exc, .ini and jpg files. and the TXTlogToCSVtool.exe
Make 3 more separate folders in the Root. C:\FRAP\TXT1 …TXT2....TXT3

Then find a DJI Flight txt file. Looks like this:  DJIFlightRecord_2018-06-3_[14-24-48].txt
Change it to look like this:  DJIFlightRecord2018063142448].txt
Put this changed file into one of the TXT folders (1,2or3)

Start FRAP
Click on the File at the top left corner
Locate the changed TXT file you placed in the TXT folder(1,2 or3)
Click on it and it should appear in the File section box.
Double click it and it should load the data.

Good luck. Hope this helps?
2018-6-3
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Spain

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-3 12:14
I believe it was developed for the Spark. I am using it with the Mavic Pro
Here is how   I made it work.
Make a root directory and call it FRAP     C:\FRAP

Hello B1houdini, first, thank's for you explanation. I've done all steps, but I get only this (see image jpg) I attached txt file, in case you can analyze.

thank's and best regards.

screen copy

screen copy

DJIFlightRecord20180307150608.rar

906.6 KB, Down times: 8

compress txt file

2018-6-5
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

QQRUCH Posted at 2018-6-5 09:44
Hello B1houdini, first, thank's for you explanation. I've done all steps, but I get only this (see image jpg) I attached txt file, in case you can analyze.

You did it correctly. I tried yours and it showed me the same data.
Here is one of mine . Just change the .rar to .txt

Not sure if I uploaded it right. If it doesn't open let me know.

DJIFlightRecord20180528184356].rar

1.1 MB, Down times: 8

2018-6-5
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

QQRUCH Posted at 2018-6-5 09:44
Hello B1houdini, first, thank's for you explanation. I've done all steps, but I get only this (see image jpg) I attached txt file, in case you can analyze.

I Just tried the file I sent to you and it worked . Just put it in one of your TXT folders and rename it from .rar to .txt
2018-6-5
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

fanscee0ea08 Posted at 2018-6-2 14:50
excellent program , i like it alot. Is it ok to share ?

Thanks! yes, its freeware.

If someone got any question, just ask me.

PS if you start FRAP read the help txt under the help button!
cheers
JJB (FRAP developper)
2018-6-5
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Spain

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-5 11:08
You did it correctly. I tried yours and it showed me the same data.
Here is one of mine . Just change the .rar to .txt

Thanks for your quick response. I did the test, but it has not worked. I'm demoralized.
FRAP_IMG_2.jpg
2018-6-5
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

QQRUCH Posted at 2018-6-5 12:36
Thanks for your quick response. I did the test, but it has not worked. I'm demoralized.

Should of worked.
Make sure your FRAP on the computer setup looks kind of like this.

This is the data from the file I sent you.
2018-6-5
Use props
QQRUCH
First Officer
Spain

B1houdini Posted at 2018-6-5 17:18
Should of worked.
Make sure your FRAP on the computer setup looks kind of like this.
[view_image]

Can win7 be the problem?  I follow your steps but I can not get the program to work.
2018-6-6
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

QQRUCH Posted at 2018-6-6 12:16
Can win7 be the problem?  I follow your steps but I can not get the program to work.

I just tried it on Win 7
It is not the problem. BUT. Big BUT.    It didn't work for some reason, Gave me the same error as what was in the beginning. Bad Characters.
I then copied the complete FRAP file from my win10 and put it on Win 7 and it works perfectly.
There is something that happens that I can't explain as yet.
I am going to keep trying to work at it until I get the Zip file to work on Win7.
I will let you know if and when I find the solution.
2018-6-6
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
United States

QQRUCH Posted at 2018-6-6 12:16

Got it to work in Win7
See if this way works for you.

First:   Make a folder anywhere you choose. call it FRAP

2nd:   Go to where your other FRAP folder you originally made. that doesn't work.

3rd:    Open that folder and copy or cut everything in it and paste it in the new FRAP folder you just created.

See if that works.
I think I did that in the beginning but forgot about it. After it didn't work in Win7 . I remembered I created a folder and after making the new folder my self . FRAP worked.
2018-6-6
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
United Kingdom

To make the FRAP program to work correctly, copy the entire contents of the FRAP folder in C:\ directory. Ensure your DJIFlightRecord is inside the same FRAP folder . DO NOT make a separate folder within FRAP to list your Flight records. DO NOT create a FRAP folder anywhere other than C:\.  The program  will work correctly.
2018-6-22
Use props
Good guy Biker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 459144 ft
Canada

where is the official page for frap ?
2019-12-19
Use props
dji forensic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28517 ft